Yes another new guy

joe6

Oct 20, 2011
Hello everyone. I'm going to be purchasing my first blaster this friday. Although I've had dirtbikes and other wheelers, this will be my first blaster. Its a 95, runs good, with no brakes. lol The guy was asking $450 and I offered him $350. I don't know much about these quads other than that they are 2 stroke single cylinder 200cc air cooled motors, with terrible brakes. My girlfriends little brother had an 02 that was a ball to cruise around on and I'll be using this blaster for just that. No racing or anything like that. Just simply a toy to take ice fishing and camping. I do have a few questions for everyone that I will list below. Thanks to all that have made this site possible. I feel very good about buying this wheeler knowing there is a site like this for information.I:I

Questions:
1. What type of oil do I have to run?
2. What type of Crank caase oil should I run?
3. What should I be looking for on a used blaster? Problem areas?
4. Are there any known problems that I should fix as soon as I get it?
5. What size are the stock tires and rims?
6. Where can I find a cheap set of rims and tires? (Not stock)
7. What type of maintanence should I perform after I purchase the wheeler?
8. What should I run for gasoline? (premium, regular, any fuel stabilizers?)
9. What plug do I run?

I guess thats it for now. Thanks to all

Hello everyone. I'm going to be purchasing my first blaster this friday. Although I've had dirtbikes and other wheelers, this will be my first blaster. Its a 95, runs good, with no brakes. lol The guy was asking $450 and I offered him $350. I don't know much about these quads other than that they are 2 stroke single cylinder 200cc air cooled motors, with terrible brakes. My girlfriends little brother had an 02 that was a ball to cruise around on and I'll be using this blaster for just that. No racing or anything like that. Just simply a toy to take ice fishing and camping. I do have a few questions for everyone that I will list below. Thanks to all that have made this site possible. I feel very good about buying this wheeler knowing there is a site like this for information.I:I

Questions:
1. What type of oil do I have to run?
2. What type of Crank caase oil should I run?
3. What should I be looking for on a used blaster? Problem areas?
4. Are there any known problems that I should fix as soon as I get it?
5. What size are the stock tires and rims?
6. Where can I find a cheap set of rims and tires? (Not stock)
7. What type of maintanence should I perform after I purchase the wheeler?
8. What should I run for gasoline? (premium, regular, any fuel stabilizers?)
9. What plug do I run?

I guess thats it for now. Thanks to all

welcome aboard man I:I there is sooo much information here, just look around in your free time and you will be shocked at what can be done with these little machines.

1- i assume the oil injection is still on? if so any oil made for injection system will work fine, if ur injection has been removed then u need a quality 2stroke premix oil.

2- regular 10-30 car oil is fine for a stock blaster, i run belray gear saver but its a bit pricy.
3- just commom sense stuff.. cracks in the frame, compression
4- yeah.. fix your brakes lol :eek:
5- stock tires are on 8" rims
6- ebay.. or rocky mountain.com
7- change the tranny oil, new plug, clean the carb, the usual stuff
8- just run 93
9- br8es is fine for a stock motor.

there ya go dude, good luck and have fun!!!

Welcome! Yup, noober has it covered. Get reading, learn stuff, and have fun wrenching and riding. Careful how much time you spend wrenching, though...Blasters have a habit of getting expensive! (You can't just do one mod. You do one mod and then think to yourself "Hmm, now I need this... and this...and this...!) :D

welcome aboard man I:I there is sooo much information here, just look around in your free time and you will be shocked at what can be done with these little machines.

1- i assume the oil injection is still on? if so any oil made for injection system will work fine, if ur injection has been removed then u need a quality 2stroke premix oil.

2- regular 10-30 car oil is fine for a stock blaster, i run belray gear saver but its a bit pricy.
3- just commom sense stuff.. cracks in the frame, compression
4- yeah.. fix your brakes lol :eek:
5- stock tires are on 8" rims
6- ebay.. or rocky mountain.com
7- change the tranny oil, new plug, clean the carb, the usual stuff
8- just run 93
9- br8es is fine for a stock motor.

there ya go dude, good luck and have fun!!!

Hey just saying i was told that the NGK b8es is better then the NGK br8es

So I got a chance to loo over the blaster today. Needless to say I am not getting it. The frame has been, well, I would say welded but I'm a welder and its not a weld. Looks like someone spray painted bubble gum. Also the compression was a little low. A little bit more of a project then I'd like to get into right now so I'm going to look for one in a little bit better shape. I don't care to mod the wheeler, just ride it. If I want to go fast I have a done up diesel thats getting twin turbos. If I had the time to go through the blaster I would have bought it. I just don't have the time to take on another project. I'm from Maine by the way. Thanks all for the help. I'll be back on when I finally find one I like

hey man well if you look for another try to find an 03-06 so you dont have brake problems ... just a suggestion since you said you just wanna ride ... good luck finding something

hey man well if you look for another try to find an 03-06 so you dont have brake problems ... just a suggestion since you said you just wanna ride ... good luck finding something

YES!!! I agree, It may be cheaper and or easier to spend more on a 03-06 blaster then to spend the time and $$$$$ to converting to some hydro brakes on the front and back that will work..

Hello and goodbye for now. hope you find a good deal. 03+ is def the way to go if you like stopping. 7-8hundred bux could get you a decent one probably