Whats up with the 240 kit

B

blaster429

I've seen a few posts on it and I was wondering how good it is and what it does to the engine powerwise....like changes in the power band, good or bad.....any info you have is helpful.

Some people like the 240 kits, I have heard a lot of stories of them overheating. They increase your powerband and make it hit a little sooner.

yea im looking into options for more power but would like to stay in 91 pump gas range or watever the highest octane you can get....is there any other remedies to overheating?

get a solid trail/track port from a good porter.

They wont overheat, you can run 91, and you can easily replace pistons/rings if/when they go bad. 240 kits are fun, but unless they are ported themselves, the gains are minimal. For the $$, a port and shaved head will make you much happier.

any videos to compare a 240 kitted blaster to a regular blaster.....reason im asking is because the top end i have has a gouge in the cylinder wall looks too big to bore out so i was thinking about just getting a 240 kit put on....could always use the extra cc's, especially considering the quads i am going to be riding with are a honda 450r and yamaha 700.....are there ways to prevent the overheating? like if i ride for more than an hr its not going to shutdown or blown up on me?

240 gives you more torque, stay with stock bore, with porting and headwork their higher revving and no overheating issues

with a 240 and a new carb and port and polish it willl scream and is a very noticeable difference, Overheating is not a problem you just have to give the quad a break ever 2 or 3 hours for about a half hour just for precaution

with a 240 and a new carb and port and polish it willl scream and is a very noticeable difference, Overheating is not a problem you just have to give the quad a break ever 2 or 3 hours for about a half hour just for precaution

OK what are you talking about??

you will never have to "take a break for 30 minutes after 2-3 hours"
as long as your jetted properly your not gonna to overheat a air cooled engine, as long as you dont sit there and do doughnuts for 2-3 hours.

the 240 will not overheat with the right jetting, with any motor jetting is the key and checking for air leaks periodically, doing a plug chop when the weather changes, always jet a little on the rich side.

240s are bad ass, i have 2 and both trail ported. i recommend them to everyone, its like anything u own, u take care of it, it will last, u neglect it u will have problems

Well I recomend sticking with the stock jug and have it ported and head modified. And if you do go with.a 240 get the la sleeve, its the best 240 you can get. Talk to one of the site sponsors about your options and costs for each.

I dont care what anyone says about 240 kits. they are pointless for a blaster!!!!! i have a 97 blaster and i made the mistake of buying vito's 240 big bore kit. i could not tell a difference in power. it did have a little more topend speed. 2 or 3 mph faster. not much difference at all. and , it does over heat . the head doesnt vent right. i had it on my blaster for not even a month and the piston and piston rings fried. and scratched the cylinder bad. and i only put about 15 hours of easy riding on it.and i broke it in properly. im in the process of rebuilding the whole motor now.

I dont care what anyone says about 240 kits. they are pointless for a blaster!!!!! i have a 97 blaster and i made the mistake of buying vito's 240 big bore kit. i could not tell a difference in power. it did have a little more topend speed. 2 or 3 mph faster. not much difference at all. and , it does over heat . the head doesnt vent right. i had it on my blaster for not even a month and the piston and piston rings fried. and scratched the cylinder bad. and i only put about 15 hours of easy riding on it.and i broke it in properly. im in the process of rebuilding the whole motor now.

Did you get a bigger carb and rejet, and do a leak down test???

sounds like you ran it lean as hell, a PORTED bbk will really move, and with proper jetting have no overheating issues.

Mine hauls the MAIL!!!!!!!

I have a "stock" blaster (for the wife) and it's anemic compared to the big bore stroker.

Whenever you're going to make obviously erroneous statements, make sure you put "in my opinion" before it to make sure everyone else knows you're stating your viewpoint on the matter. There is a market for Big Bore kits, if you burnt yours up in a month I would chalk that up to user error...

uhem, rejetting required!

You had it rejetted or you rejetted it yourself? Did you ever actually SEE a plugchop on that top end? If you didn't you have NO idea if that was the correct jet for that engine.

It may have been running lean and you simply wouldn't have known because in your mind "it was jetted" so you thought it was ok. Without seeing it yourself, you would think it was ok and continue riding and then call the Big Bore kit a POS for blowing up in a month.

I have a nice mocha brown plug chop, mine should run for years....