StrokedTater244 Swingarms!!!!

that is not 100% true paulie. the swingarm is angled and when you increase the length you will get a slightly higher ride height at the rear of the machine. a +3 +4 brings them up about 3/4". it does not change the handling charictaristics much at all.

I hear ya bro thats good info to know for someone who is would be concerned about 3/4" haha
For sh*tz and giggles here's the exact same set-up with an 06' stock rear shock.
Guys never think a stock blasty swinger is weak. It's like 20 lbs.
reason being Yamaha doesn't care about performance gained from a lighter weight swinger. Yamaha cares about the cheapest route to take to not be sued over a stock part that breaks and injures a kid.

P7040019.jpg

how would bigger rims give you more ground clearence? and in alot of situtations keeping your frame, engine, pegs and feet a little higher away from rocks and logs will help.

Ok, In SOME cases like sand tires for all you draggers, doing research the overall height of the tire is the same according to ITP and GBC. But for mud tires it varies, 22 x 11-8 size outer diameter is 22.3! On a 22x11-9 outer diameter is 22.5 . So you DO get an increase in height not as big as I though either and I'm sure different manufactures may vary. And if your tires are higher then that raised the whole quad not just the middle of it!

And as far as how much the rear is raised when you extend a swinger, Elvis was saying his is like 3-4 inches higher not 3/4" higher. So what happened???

I agree 3/4-1" is no biggie but 2+ can suck, especially when you count on the builder to know these things.

So who is blowing smoke here??

Not downplaying anyones work here, just saying we should know what changes could happen from extending a swinger, as I still don't know! Is it a 3/4 or 3"???? should you move the shock mount?

Ya know, I was gonna stay out of this, but feel I need to share my experience to help elvis (or anyone else using any extended swinger)....

My sons bike came with a stock 4" extended swinger and stock shock, cut and lengthened behind the stock shock mount.
it sat at least 2" higher than my stock swinger on a 400ex shock,
and was way more "tippy" than at stock height.
(mx quads are stock height or lowered by the 18" rears and 19" front tires, not raised)

then when I put a 250r shock on my sons, it sat 6" higher than mine, (jacked up just like the camaro posted above)
I had to move the shock mount back 1", (pics in my albums)
which lowered it about 4", putting it back to the 2" higher than stock height,
so from my experience...1" back mount = approx. 4" ride height
on a 4" extended swinger
I then went to 22" front tires to even it out some and make the whole bike sit higher for the terrain I HAVE TO RIDE IN.
(not like i have a choice)

So from my experience, just lengthening the swinger and elvis' slightly longer 400ex shock, his overall height gain has to be more than 3/4 - 1 "
(i doubt even elvis would have noticed only 1", let alone noticed in the pics posted)

modifying a 400ex shock has never been needed,
it's a direct bolt on with bushings, with only slight height increase on a stock swinger. (i've personally had a 400ex and 450r)
cutting and drilling is a common fix for using the way longer yfz shock, not the "ex",
but may work in this instance,

but I did discuss with Elvis that drilling the 400ex the allowed approx. 1" is prolly gonna lower it more than 1", and that he should set his ride height desired, then mark where the shocks mount needs drilled, not just drill it up as far as possible, like is common on the yfz's and hope it works

good luck elvis, and holler if i can help ya anymore

Last edited:
And as far as how much the rear is raised when you extend a swinger, Elvis was saying his is like 3-4 inches higher not 3/4" higher. So what happened???

I agree 3/4-1" is no biggie but 2+ can suck, especially when you count on the builder to know these things.

So who is blowing smoke here??

Not downplaying anyones work here, just saying we should know what changes could happen from extending a swinger, as I still don't know! Is it a 3/4 or 3"???? should you move the shock mount?

nobody is "blowing smoke"

without going out and checking i will tell you a very close estimate as to what elvis ride height is.

+4 extension + 3/4-1"

400ex shock + 1-1 1/4"

elvis total additional height out back 1 3/4" - 2 1/4"

the changes that will happen when you have this type of extension done is a little lift to the back of the machine. more so when a longer shock is being used. now do you understand?

nobody is "blowing smoke"

without going out and checking i will tell you a very close estimate as to what elvis ride height is.

+4 extension + 3/4-1"

400ex shock + 1-1 1/4"

elvis total additional height out back 1 3/4" - 2 1/4"

the changes that will happen when you have this type of extension done is a little lift to the back of the machine. more so when a longer shock is being used. now do you understand?

I get if you use a 400EX shock and get your stock swinger extended +4", you can gain up to 2 1/4" of height out back (estimated).

What I don't get is why this wasn't relayed to the customer? Maybe the right thing to do would be to fix it for free.
Or maybe Elvis didn't give all the info? I don't know?

The proper way to of handled this would of been for Elvis to call, pm text you, what the problem and you guys work it out, But we know it wasn't handled that way-he chose to complain some members about it.

I'm done here, like I said before, ya get what ya pay for!

The proper way to of handled this would of been for Elvis to call, pm text you, what the problem and you guys work it out, But we know it wasn't handled that way-he chose to complain some members about it.

this thread is not about a problem with the swingarm. it is about how the customer liked the swingarm...lol

ok 8-|

Ok I want all of you complaining bitches to listen up! I live with Evil Elvis and I have yet to hear him complain about his swingarms in fact im tired of him talking about them and how happy he is with them. So shut your pie holes before I come to all your houses and start whooping ass. I dont want to hear about the swingarms any more :x

Reactions: Surfrjag