400ex Do's and Dont's?

1995blaster

Jul 30, 2009
Well im considering gettting a 400ex, not sure what really to look for tho since a blaster is pretty much the only atv i have owned. I really like neutral light, electric start, etc.. What years are the best? Or what sould i look for while buying?

well, first off, its a 4 stroke so you don't wanna have to rebuild it, make sure there is no knocking, or smoke. take it for a hard run, make sure it doesn't skip or miss, look for oil leaks, cracks in the cases, check frame for bends.. etc they are pretty bulletproof, if you know any mechanics have them come with and check it too

400ex Do's and Dont's?.......................

do............. laugh at them as you fly by on your blaster

don't..........expect them to be maintenence free

I am not close friends with any atv mechanics i try to do my own wrenching. The last thing i want is to go into a 4 poke motor. I just want something that just needs the regular maintenance oil changed filter cleaned and everything with a grease zert greased lol.

I just want something that just needs the regular maintenance oil changed, filter cleaned and everything with a grease zert greased lol.

there is nothing on this planet that requires that little maintenence

except a womans coochie, but ya still have the high maintenece of the rest of that /\/\ machine

2004+ has reverse so if you like the idea of reverse then look for that... they changed the body style 3 different times that i know of... the ones like mine with the 2 round lights, the ones that were modeled exactly like the 450r, then the newest ones with the sharp body style. make sure to listen for any engine noise and if you see an oil leak then i would avoid it (4 strokes take alot of work to tear down and reassemble if you do it right)...

Agreed with all of the above! I have nothing against 4-strokes...I've owned a Warrior and a TRX450r and liked 'em both... I just prefer my Blaster. Especially since it will eat up just about any 400 in a fair race.

Like everyone else is saying, if you go to look at a 400ex, fire it up first and listen for unusual engine noises/smoke/rattling. A little valve ticking can be fixed with just a re-adjustment, but any wierd metallic or slapping top-end noises usually mean trouble.

A 400ex uses a dry-sump oiling system, so check for oil leaks, especially around the oil lines. What kind of condition is the quad in? Brakes? Tires? Jack the front end up and check for wear on the A-arm bushings. How does the plastic look? Check the chain/sprockets/chain tension.

Bottom line is, 400ex are reliable and will run forever, but people like to ride them hard and get lazy with maintenance. If you're gonna buy one, wait until you find one that has been ridden lightly and has obviously been well-cared for. Yes, they're out there. You just have to be patient and do some looking.

Like awk said, nothing is maintenance-free. Not even a woman's coochie! (Trust me, they need REGULAR washing and tongue tune-ups!)

If you own a 4-stroke, you'll need to get used to changing the oil, adjusting four valves at least once a season, maintaining the chain, and keeping the air and oil filters clean. None of this is particularly hard, but it does take some time and you have to do it if you want reliability.

DO buy a YFZ450 instead of 400EX......and DON'T race a blaster if you buy a 400EX cause you'll get smoked! :p

Have to chime in here.
Just like most of you I've had both and a stock 400ex will easily outrun a stock blaster.
I do prefer two-strokes but lets be real guys. It's like comparing apples & oranges.

Just my opinion.
Troy

if we're talkin flat out in a feild, of course the ex is gonna top out ahead.
with a few mods, but still way less $$$$ than an ex, the ex gets smoked.
in the trails, i'll be waiting and half way thru a smoke when the ex catches up

if we're talkin flat out in a feild, of course the ex is gonna top out ahead.
with a few mods, but still way less $$$$ than an ex, the ex gets smoked.
in the trails, i'll be waiting and half way thru a smoke when the ex catches up

Good luck and ride fast

I wouldn't get a 400EX. They are decent but the LTZ400 is much better. So is the KFX400 and the DVX400. They are all very good machines. But the 400EX's are in my opinion, over rated without mods.

I wouldn't get a 400EX. They are decent but the LTZ400 is much better. So is the KFX400 and the DVX400. They are all very good machines. But the 400EX's are in my opinion, over rated without mods.

but you just put fuel in them and ride on forever, no miantenence required
aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaaaa

I have to second this, I would never buy a 400 but if for some reason I changed my mind it would be an LTZ all the way

The LTZ's have awesome power but if you get a poker, you will honestly regret it. You get used to the power and you know exactly where it is. On a two stroke you are always getting surprised. I'm looking at some 250R's and a GasGas 300R right now.

I'm not going to lie, if you get a four stroke for anything other than racing, you WILL get bored and you WILL end up back on a smoker. Just putting that out there. And they are not free of maintence. Just as much as a smoker but you have to change the oil more and adjust valves. The only thing that is easier is filling the tank and then you have to worry about premium gas so it doesn't predetonate and grenade the motor.