welding projects for high school

well boys, today was the last day of my third week spent at college, i am going for welding as i had planned my schedule is pretty easy

Monday 7-1150am
Tuesday 7-1150am 1-4pm
Wednesday 7-1150am 1-4pm
Thursday 7-1150am
Friday sleep in and do nothing (till i land a job)

anyway ill get to my point, i plan to post pictures of stuff i make in class, and maybe some other students things if they are cool

so to start this thread back off here is what i made today:

i used the CNC plasma with the files the teacher had loaded already, so basically i volunteered to spend time running it to learn how to use if for myself mostly, but these will be for sale after i finish taking all the rough edges off them, the money is going to the welding club for use to pay for our shirts and hats and what not, im not sure how many "saw blade" designs he has but he said they are the most poular sellers

this one is fresh off the table, i didnt even pop all the pieces our yet

these two below i ground all the slag off the back, and flap disced all the rough edges, final step is the wire brush them completely to remove all sharp edges then we can sell them

this on i did not make but i rescued it from the scrap bin, it is stainless steel, i grabbed it for my mom cause she has been looking for one like this one for along time

Last edited:
Reactions: speedyslyder
i got bored doing CADD homework one day and created this, by tracing the letters from a google image, this is a picture after i printed it to check it

and here is after having the file converted by my teacher and the CNC plasma cutting it out:

and this thing i thought i would just put on here for fun, another teacher bought a used jeep and the receiver hitch was stuck so he asked us to remove it for him, so i built 10ft long slide hammer, the end on the table one of the holes fit over the ball, and the we had 2 people slide the "hammer" and it still took about 10 minutes to pound the hitch out

heres a practice test i finished today

3/8 plate with 30 bevel 1/4 groove, 6010 root pass and fill it in with 7018, after tacking it together we tacked it to the table on edge so this was a 2g (horizontal weld) test

then we grind the top smooth and remove the backing strip, and cut it into 1.5 inch strips with a track torch

and then bend them to 180 degree loop

passed with 100% now to do it again, as u can see in the closer one there is 3 tiny spots on it, that is the root of my weld which i had alittle bit of a hard time getting in there nicely, and the farther one is the face or top of it which has no defects

also have to do the same test in vertical

That is pretty darn good welding Giz!

I prefer to use a 6011 for the root pass I seem to get less inclusions with them.

i did stainless for the first time monday, fixed up my friends dirt bike muffler for him, a mount was broke off and a hole was close to wore through

Tig welded set max at 100 amps with foot pedal using Argon cover gas

before

after

broken mount fixed

wow, thats maxed at 100 amps?

or you ran less because of the pedal?

we had a guy come in and show us, he set it at 80 amps with the pedal and most people still got too hot on 1/8th stainless