So new I've already blown a motor and flipped on a hill...

ManiacalBlaster

May 21, 2012
Chicagoland
Hey whats up. Names Kevin. I recently purchased a 96 Blaster from a guy my buddy knows. Before that I've never owned a quad. I've ridden my buddy's different quads a handful of times over the years. So I most definitely rank as a straight newby.

Dont even own a truck to transport my quad - and I cant even keep it at my apartment as I have no garage. Hahaha my folks are cool enough to let me keep it in their garage near my work.

My second time at a big offroad park with this thing, literally fourth time riding it other than just up the street real quick, I had a rough day. Just this past Saturday as a matter of fact. After three times out on the varying terrain, adjusted the idler screw a bit and the air mixture screw and it was sounding pretty good. Went out again, and after it was running really well, the thing died and I couldnt get it started. Kick start wouldnt budge. Not good.

Luckily a guy who was riding with us came packin heat. He brought four bikes and two quads. He said - hey man you can ride this one - Its my work's quad, so dont do anything crazy with it. (He's a motorcycle mechanic - his shop owned a quad I guess) I said damn man, thanks a lot! And kept cruisin on his quad. A Kawasaki Mojave. Made it out once more and it was running great and I was having a blast.

We headed out one more time after a water break (95 degrees and dusty as can be). My veteran riding companions went right for some serious hills. I had no idea just how steep or how tall these bad boys were. (Other than the vertical looking wall heading straight past the tree line in front of me). I certainly didnt how this quad would handle them. My buddy Jimmy flies up the hill with his Polaris razor, his buddy goes up with his Raptor, then heres me. I get a good start at it, and get maxed in first, then go to second right as I hit the hill.

I realize I didnt allow enough time to pass from when dude went up in his Raptor - there was a lot of dust kicked up. So much so, I got to about the middle, and went to far left, and climbed the side embankment of this steep trail I was on. I stopped, went for the front brake to prepare the long backwards roll. But I was already screwed. The thing slid in the loose dirt sideways - I got my foot down and that was it. The quad flipped over and I'm tumblin down the hill, the quad lands on me after the first flip or two. It all happened very fast. His Kawasaki beat me to the bottom of the hill, and I get down there and realize my shoulder doesn't feel right at all.

I wont even sit on the atv without wearing a helmet, so I had the helmet on, thank God. I ended up separating my shoulder - where the collar bone connects to the shoulder blade, it popped up, tearing those ligaments. The handle bar on dudes quad from his work bent, and I think the mount for the clutch handle broke. Needless to say I was apologizing to him for rolling the quad he lent me out of sympathy - and working on the whole logistics scenario of being two and a half hours away and suddenly needing to be in the hospital.

Long story short (waaaay too late) Dude was cool about it and we had to cut the trip short (we were going to camp that night and watch the Razor race that was going on) and drive me back to our area to the hospital there.

So first trip to the Badlands in Indiana I blow the motor on my quad and flip another guys' screwing up my shoulder in the process. I think there's a newby medal for that caliber of newb-ness.

You qualify for a Putty medal!

Tough luck about your bike, sounds like the jetting is off, or you have an air leak.

^^^Thanks! I'm just happy I walked away from that craziness... and anxious to get my Blaster runnin again! It's funny because even after all that I still had a lot of fun that day....pretty wide range of terrain - wide open sand and dunes, forest paths, creeks, low lying ponds to skim around...crazy fun!

welcome to BF bro !!

and sounds like things can only get better from here on out

Welcome to BF. I know that injury, both of my shoulders have been separated from sports, the one I had surgery on and they removed about a half inch from the end near my shoulder...two weeks of therapy and I was back to normal. whatever else we can help with, other than the medical bills and repair costs, let us know.

welcome to BF bro !!

and sounds like things can only get better from here on out

I agree and certainly hope so!

Brother I feel your pain, I am just getting over flipping the quad on top of me injury. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks! Definitely not that fun havin that sucker land on top of you huh....at least gravity and a hill was involved so I wasn't pinned under it or anything...

Welcome to BF. I know that injury, both of my shoulders have been separated from sports, the one I had surgery on and they removed about a half inch from the end near my shoulder...two weeks of therapy and I was back to normal. whatever else we can help with, other than the medical bills and repair costs, let us know.

Yeah thats cool on the medical bills and repair costs hahaha...I'll work on that. Intel on gettin the quad running though definitely would help. I'm going to try and get good pics of the internals on the bottom end once I get it apart to see if you folks can help me pinpoint what happened so I don't rebuild it and it just happens again.

Hey, man if you ever go to the badlands again and need a riding buddy i aint to far away as long as i can fi.d a way to tow the blasty down

Cool once I get this badboy runnin again and I make it back down there for a rematch I'll let you know. I dont have a truck or trailer either but my buddy and his riding buddy's do - so maybe we could shred it up down there. That place is awesome!

^^^Thanks! I'm just happy I walked away from that craziness... and anxious to get my Blaster runnin again! It's funny because even after all that I still had a lot of fun that day....pretty wide range of terrain - wide open sand and dunes, forest paths, creeks, low lying ponds to skim around...crazy fun!

Sounds like a fun place! Welcome blasty maniac

One who flips and walks away, lives to flip another day...

Gotta put that one in the quotes thread.

Hell yeah that is a good one. Yeah thats what the guys I was riding with said. "We'd love to tell ya this won't happen again buuuut.....it probably will".

I responded that I sure as hell hope this exact thing doesnt happen again, but...I can understand I gotta earn my spurs on this bad boy. Off to a good start I think hahahaha...