How do i get more speed?

1meanblaster

Sep 3, 2010
Kimball, MI
My blaster is a 89 and as far as i know it has been set up for circle track racing. it was punched .30 i believe. and the gearing was changed. im not sure though. i know it accelerates faster than a stock one. but it topped out in 5th gear at 45 MPH. (tested running next to a car) how do i make the quad run faster at the top end and still get out of the hole just as fast. i dont really care about low end torque i just want speed and acceleration.

My blaster is a 89 and as far as i know it has been set up for circle track racing. it was punched .30 i believe. and the gearing was changed. im not sure though. i know it accelerates faster than a stock one. but it topped out in 5th gear at 45 MPH. (tested running next to a car) how do i make the quad run faster at the top end and still get out of the hole just as fast. i dont really care about low end torque i just want speed and acceleration.

get in 6th gear!

if the bike in your sig the one your talkn about its not set up for circle track and are you looking for bolt on or motor work

I said the bike was set up at one point for circle track. its been since changed. but bolt on power would be more prefferable. i would do engine work if thats needed. but i was asking here to see if theres something i can do without doing alot of machining

I said the bike was set up at one point for circle track. its been since changed. but bolt on power would be more prefferable. i would do engine work if thats needed. but i was asking here to see if theres something i can do without doing alot of machining

aftermarket exhaust is the easiest way to gain a little extra horsepower, but porting is where the real power is.

bolt ons- reeds carb pipe timing lightened flywheel throw a 240 kit on there stroke it etc, porting if u want but u said no machining, do a head mod, there is a lot of things u can do just depends on how much u want to spend.

This may help as a guide.

Gearing Calculator

More speed can be obtained simply by fitting different tyres and sprockets.

Running a higher gear affects accelleration and requires more power if you want the same or better get up and go.

If you fit different sprockets fit a new chain also.

The holeshots have prolly decreased your speed as they look like 18"

Triplecrown put together a completely stock spec engine for member SHart.
It had no problem achieving 50mph, so I would suspect your sprocketing is off.
Are you running out of power or revs? (And don't tell me both.)

Beyond 50mph it takes ever increasing amounts of power to build speed.
The first thing is to get your sprocket ratio right for your tire size.
Now is the time to tune the engine in for perfect operation, leak test and plug chop for perfect jetting.
Not only will this give you the most power and speed, it assures the engine will not blow up.

The first mod I would do on any Blaster is the head rechamber and set up the squish, followed of course by a leak test and plug chop.
After that, a pipe, maybe a hole in the air cleaner lid, and of course a leak test and plug chop to set her up right.

Beyond that, some porting or even an extra basegasket to up your rpm (adjusting your head to match).

This will get you to over 60mph and all the wheelies you can stand.
Did I mention leak test and plug chop?

Steve

and a reed spacer in between the reeds and the intake boot

Hmmm, Really?

Triplecrown's butt dyno couldn't really feel a significant advantage with this one.
We actually felt a huge difference filling up that area with epoxy:

252249_10151325140485803_804954678_n.jpg

31616_10151362954060803_1962906689_n.jpg

(thanks to JoeAK47 for this cutaway photo!)

Added epoxy:

27894_10151362954045803_1391383925_n.jpg

Steve

A spacer there will only tend to make the power available come on at a slightly higher rev.

Wether it increases top rev torque is debatable.

a reed spacer placed between the intake and reeds or between the reeds and head will either move the torque up or down the curve. no real bonus power. just Moving it. at least thats how it worked for me.