Full Rebuild of $180 "Blaster"

jbuckster07

Mar 20, 2011
Akron, Ohio
Alrighty then, starting a full rebuild of this blaster i got off craigslist that is in dire need of some TLC. For $180, I couldnt pass it up even if its a part out once I get into it. But for right now heres a couple pics that I have of it and some things I found once I got it home.

Here is the CL ad, a mis match of everything. Frame paint is terrible, parts missing, lots of work needs to be done

Once home I pulled the Clutch cover off, No baset but saw all of this

Someone used alot of gasket sealer! Its like that the whole way around the case...

Thats it for now, I am away for work for a couple days then I will really tear into this thing.

Its a good start. Go over and through it, make a list of things it needs, things you want and keep punching away at it.

Clean everything up well...nothing worse than working on a dirty bike!

someone must have dropped the motor to crack that case half right there. i have never seen a case cracked in the kick start area before.

Yeah I am worried about that case being cracked up there. I didnt look on the back side to see if it went all the way through. Was just doing a parts list and whew... this thing is going to need lots of $$$$ put into it just to get it running!
parts needed from the top of my head:
-Clutch Basket
-Bore/Hone about $70
-Piston Kit $85
-Sprockets and Chain $50
-Front Hydro Upgrade $150
-Rear Hydro Kit $200
-Rear Tires $120
-Bearings all the way around around $100
-Clutch Lever $30
-Clutch Cable $20
-Tusk Clutch Kit $50
-Right Case Half if that crack is bad enough $50
-Reeds and Cage $50
-Silencer $120

Right there is over a grand! whew... Might be easier to just buy a running one for like 800 around me and keep this for spare parts

I would wait for a good deal on a running one or a one that needs a little work. Keep the good parts to have as spare or part out and make a few hundred. Just my opinion.

Yep, I haven't finished mine yet, but it was in bad shape when I got it... Getting close to 3k total and haven't done much extra!

[QUOTE="jbuckster07, post: 742715, member: 14225"Might be easier to just buy a running one for like 800 around me and keep this for spare parts[/QUOTE]

That might not be a bad idea, Keep some of the good parts, Get a 03-06 blaster if your looking for Hydro brakes.

Keep your eye open, they pop up, and when you find what your looking for, get it and don't look back!

you dont need hydros all the way around.you can stop just fine with stock mechanical brakes if you take care of them. and the tires dont look too bad from the pictures, a few plugs and a can of tire slime and they will be fine:D
and for a silencer someone might give you a stocker or sell it for next to nothing. if you do that you'll save like $500

While yes most people dnt need hydros, I'm a big boy at 6' 280 (+/- 10 lbs... ;)) I feel much safer with hydros all the way around lol.

Yeah one day I will. My only problem is I do not have a good workspace... I live in a duplex with no garage, no shed, nothing. So working on it is very difficult and usually happens in the bed of my truck haha.