FMF Gnarly Pipe

Re: fmf fatty pipe

Cold air is denser thus more mixes with the fuel, =leaner bud! Really you don't want your first race to be your last? Plug chop! $6 in plugs beats $300 in top end work!

no, its leaner when cold, richer as it warms up

why do you think you have to jet UP in the winter?

If its bogging when cold thats usually a sign of too lean a mix, it should blubber if it is rich.

I have been trying to find some tips for the Gnarly pipe, and it seems to me to be similar to a DMC Alien which has a low/mid punch.

The low/mid pipes seem to like a slightly larger main jet than the top end pipes.

My DMC will not run well unless I lift the needle to the richest position. You cannot hurt anything by richening it, so it may pay to try liftiing the needle one.

If the bike stops blubbering at WOT, when you give it the gas, after it is warmed up, it is a good indication that you nearly have it right.

Only a plug chop will confirm your jetting.

My low/mid pipe always runs like crap until it is warmed up fully.

Before you hole shot make sure you clean out the motor with a few good throttle openings, or it will die in the a$$.

If its bogging when cold thats usually a sign of too lean a mix, it should blubber if it is rich.

I have been trying to find some tips for the Gnarly pipe, and it seems to me to be similar to a DMC Alien which has a low/mid punch.

The low/mid pipes seem to like a slightly larger main jet than the top end pipes.

My DMC will not run well unless I lift the needle to the richest position. You cannot hurt anything by richening it, so it may pay to try liftiing the needle one.

If the bike stops blubbering at WOT, when you give it the gas, after it is warmed up, it is a good indication that you nearly have it right.

Only a plug chop will confirm your jetting.

My low/mid pipe always runs like crap until it is warmed up fully.

Before you hole shot make sure you clean out the motor with a few good throttle openings, or it will die in the a$$.

thats what i mean.... it blubbers at mid throttle to 3/4 throttle when the ENGINE is cold. not bog. i couldent think of the correct word. as the Engine warms up, (not the air outside) it dosent do that anymore, and has good flow through all the throttle positions. i have the clip on the 2nd position. when i had it on the 3rd, every run i did it blubbered with 310 than clear up a little past 3/4. but yea ima plug chop tomorrow.

colder air is more dense, which means that the oxygen molecules are closer together, and more can get to the motor for a given volume of air. you need more fuel to go along with this oxygen.

changing your fuel mix can have a similar effect, at 40:1 you'll run slightly richer than 32:1 because you're getting more gasoline, and less oil with the 40:1 mixture, and slightly less gas, but more oil at 32:1

colder air is more dense, which means that the oxygen molecules are closer together, and more can get to the motor for a given volume of air. you need more fuel to go along with this oxygen.

changing your fuel mix can have a similar effect, at 40:1 you'll run slightly richer than 32:1 because you're getting more gasoline, and less oil with the 40:1 mixture, and slightly less gas, but more oil at 32:1

ohh...that makes sense now! lol thanks I:I

Reguardless of temp outside, the motor should be almost hot to the touch before you start stabbing the throttle.

Here I thought you were getting the hang of this jetting thing. Don't make us give you red marks for doubting advice given X:)o

You will never miss a little powwa from being jetted rich, you will miss your piston :eek: