experimental front suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
YES! actually i am telling you that bigger tires offer more compliance to bumps, go take a backas country road with a civic then do the same in a full size truck, those bumps that felt like going over curbs in the smaller tire car are barely noticable in the truck.

if your bearings are good the front tires wont put as much roling resistance as you might think, look it up for your self or test out some big tires on your rig. you might like it.

YES! actually i am telling you that bigger tires offer more compliance to bumps, go take a backas country road with a civic then do the same in a full size truck, those bumps that felt like going over curbs in the smaller tire car are barely noticable in the truck.

if your bearings are good the front tires wont put as much roling resistance as you might think, look it up for your self or test out some big tires on your rig. you might like it.

with bigger tires, u will havde to gear it back to whatever the ratio hes looking for. smaller tires offer more torque.

Ive run lots of different front tires on motocross tracks. Even on really rough, rutted out tracks the 22" tires suck. They are heavy, wide, and stiff to turn which wears me out 3x as fast as small, lighter MX tires.

Ive run lots of different front tires on motocross tracks. Even on really rough, rutted out tracks the 22" tires suck. They are heavy, wide, and stiff to turn which wears me out 3x as fast as small, lighter MX tires.

True, but 19" Mx tires wouldn't last in that terrain so while I'm sure his arms would LOVE the smaller lighter MX tires, he'd be disabled at the first large obstacle he clobbered with them and thus out of the race.

Considering Phragle completely designed that suspension from the ground up, I doubt there were any "accidents" there. That was the third iteration of his "blastersaurus" desert bike and by all acounts the fastest and most agile.

I'm not going to be running 90 mph through the desert hitting boulders the size of dogs so I'm going to be running 20" front tires on aluminum wheels.

I'm really after articulation and a supple ride with the new suspension design.

Good point DDQ. I think with at least +5 +1 Long Travel A-Arms with extremely long shock absorbers, it could be done. phragle's Blaster had 18" of suspension travel and it looked like his blaster was seriously on stilts.

Picture008-1.jpg

Hey I know that bike!!!! the rear tires are 22" kenda scorpians, the fronts are a tall 22 dunlop, closer to 24 when blown up. the dersert has a lot of square edge hits from water washing across the traill and big whoops. the taller tire rolls thru things better than a shorter tire. in the rear a taller tire gives taller gearing, and the kendas are light and its a good traction balance. you actually want some slip, if you dont at speed the trans has to take the abuse and wouldnt live long. As it was I could go thru 3 sets of 6th gears a season.

Hey I know that bike!!!! the rear tires are 22" kenda scorpians, the fronts are a tall 22 dunlop, closer to 24 when blown up. the dersert has a lot of square edge hits from water washing across the traill and big whoops. the taller tire rolls thru things better than a shorter tire. in the rear a taller tire gives taller gearing, and the kendas are light and its a good traction balance. you actually want some slip, if you dont at speed the trans has to take the abuse and wouldnt live long. As it was I could go thru 3 sets of 6th gears a season.

You are alive! I:I I:I I:I I:I I:I

I'm planning on using a lower ball joint (RS3003) but heim uppers and tie rod ends because of the amount of articulation needed. At +5, the RS3003's will offer approximately 11.34" of travel bind to bind which is WAY more than enough to soak up those soft works shocks.

please don't buy directly from RS. Overpriced. When I needed these I got the moog equivalent for $16.50/each..shipped

seller no longer has any instock or I'd give you their info

please don't buy directly from RS. Overpriced. When I needed these I got the moog equivalent for $16.50/each..shipped

seller no longer has any instock or I'd give you their info

My understanding is that there is no EXACT Moog equivalent tie rod end option. The moog tie rod end that has the same taper has a M14 shank. The tie rod end that has the M16 shank requires reaming.

For the $18 per set of a-arms, I'd rather have the safety and security of a direct fit taper M16 shank with an actual ball joint (versus tie rod end type joint).

If you know for a fact that this part is directly available (specifically a Moog chassis part number) PM it to me. If not, I'll stick with the RS3003 joint

Status
Not open for further replies.