Commencing 240 rebuild!

Redline5th

Nov 20, 2012
Picked this little fella up a couple weeks ago. It;s already got a 240 in it, PJ Keihin carb, carb spacer, V-Force 3 reeds, FMF PC2 & other little bits here and there. Going to rip into it over the winter to find out what is in it for sure. Plan is to +3 the crank, strip it to the frame and repaint, disk brake conversion, new plastics and seat cover to make it look pretty.

It needed some maintenance work, wouldn't idle for anything, needed wheel bearings, throttle cable and steering stem clamp. I've got the new plastics and have fancied them out a bit, new seat cover is on and the maintenance work is almost finished. Threw a new set of pro-tapers on with some new grips, too. Snapped a few pics to start.

Attachments

• IMG-20121119-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20121119-WA0001.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 285
  • IMAG0751.jpg
    IMAG0751.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 248
  • IMAG0740.jpg
    IMAG0740.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 253
  • IMAG0756.jpg
    IMAG0756.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 242
  • IMAG0742.jpg
    IMAG0742.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 262
Picked this little fella up a couple weeks ago. It;s already got a 240 in it, PJ Keihin carb, carb spacer, V-Force 3 reeds, FMF PC2 & other little bits here and there. Going to rip into it over the winter to find out what is in it for sure. Plan is to +3 the crank, strip it to the frame and repaint, disk brake conversion, new plastics and seat cover to make it look pretty.

It needed some maintenance work, wouldn't idle for anything, needed wheel bearings, throttle cable and steering stem clamp. I've got the new plastics and have fancied them out a bit, new seat cover is on and the maintenance work is almost finished. Threw a new set of pro-tapers on with some new grips, too. Snapped a few pics to start.
Looks good man, very nice starting point! Is the tors system removed! What size carb? Is it jetted right? Have you tested for leaks?

StevieN

No TORS. Carb is 34mm and was leaking pretty badly. Needed to get a new needle and adjust the floats. Replaced all the gaskets and it seems to be back to good. It used to have a twist throttle on it... when it was swapped back to a thumb throttle they left the shorter cable on. I have a mechanic buddy working on it with me and he says that looked like it was part of the problem. As soon as I get the new throttle box, I should be able to shake that down and get pics of it back together. then I'll be ripping it back apart and repainting the frame a lighter shade of green.

No TORS. Carb is 34mm and was leaking pretty badly. Needed to get a new needle and adjust the floats. Replaced all the gaskets and it seems to be back to good. It used to have a twist throttle on it... when it was swapped back to a thumb throttle they left the shorter cable on. I have a mechanic buddy working on it with me and he says that looked like it was part of the problem. As soon as I get the new throttle box, I should be able to shake that down and get pics of it back together. then I'll be ripping it back apart and repainting the frame a lighter shade of green.

Nice man, you should get the moter ported mate it will fly with that 240 kit!! ;-)

StevieN

I have a feeling it already may be. Someone put a lot of time into that... enough to make me believe they wouldn't have overlooked that part. I know in comparison to the stock blaster, it's 4 times the bike. When i pull the motor to do the frame, I'm going to check the jug out and see what that looks like. If it's not ported, it will be.

I have a feeling it already may be. Someone put a lot of time into that... enough to make me believe they wouldn't have overlooked that part. I know in comparison to the stock blaster, it's 4 times the bike. When i pull the motor to do the frame, I'm going to check the jug out and see what that looks like. If it's not ported, it will be.

Ha i like your style man! If its not done, DO IT!!!

StevieN

Looks like a GREAT start to a project! What new needle did you get for the carb? A DGH is going to be close to what you need.

Can't wait to see this build start to come together!

Did a little work last night...

Did a mock up... there's no gas tank and the carb and throttle aren't back on yet, but I wanted to see what it's going to look like when it's rolling again.

Found out my neighbor has a frame that's just laying around so I'm going to grab that, make it pretty and then transfer all my stuff to it. This way, I can still ride the f-ugly frame til I'm done and I'll have little downtime.

Attachments

• IMAG0758.jpg
    IMAG0758.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 250
Worked for a while today. Wheel bearings are done, everything is back together and I rode it. Some-biotch it'll go. Had some really wet grass and over inflated tires so I hooked up worse then when I go to the bar but it still got going in a hurry. Still have some kinks to work out but I wanted a rider for the winter. Picking up that 2nd Frank and swing arm this weekend to start working on getting the fixed up. Very pleased with the output this thing has!I:I

FRAME! going to get this all prettied up and ready for the transplant

Attachments

• IMAG0773.jpg
    IMAG0773.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 177
Nice! I am still jetting my ported 240. Feels like a beast though. Jetting is off a little, but 4th gear wheelies are fun.

Stock gearing on 20" tires makes first gear absolutely useless... I've been able to pull it up in third, haven't tried fourth. When I've got it all apart, I'm swapping out sprockets to lengthen the gears a little.

A little flat black. I'm thinking the frame will be black, the a-arms and swinger will be white

Attachments

• IMAG0777.jpg
    IMAG0777.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 185
A couple shots of the white frame. Just ordered the new swing arm and a-arms. Will hopefully have a roller to transplant the engine into before spring.

IMAG0797.jpg

IMAG0796.jpg

I used flat engine enamel. Supposed to be pretty hard and high heat. We'll see how it holds up when it's chewing on rocks and stones this spring. The arms are all black. Hood and tank black and rear fenders white.

it took me forever to prep it. Took it to bare metal in most spots. the tighter areas got scuffed as good as I could.