Boyesen RAD Valve review, genuine ass-dyno numbers

hey noob did you have this done befor the busco trip?

yup, got it done like the day before the trip lol. for what a RAD valve can be had for and the cost and options for replacement reeds you cant go wrong IMO. after you hog it out some of course :D. i didnt take mine nearly as far as batt, i made mine the same size as my 34mm carb so from the carb to my reeds is one high flowing, smooth surface I:I

did porting help on the topend? i know you said it helped bottom and mid. and my reeds are carbon fiber, is that a decent set? after looking at the pic its the same reedcage i have. i took my stock one out and reeds were stuck partially open and picked this one up for cheep. now that i have my 36mm carb im gonna start porting this thing:)

Reactions: albany
did porting help on the topend? i know you said it helped bottom and mid. and my reeds are carbon fiber, is that a decent set? after looking at the pic its the same reedcage i have. i took my stock one out and reeds were stuck partially open and picked this one up for cheep. now that i have my 36mm carb im gonna start porting this thing:)

yeah topend is actually why i did it, if you get on boyesens website they claim how the skinny mouth builds velicity for good low end wich i totally belive i noticed a huge gain in low and mid when i first put it on but it seemed lacking on top. the porting took care of all that now its siiiick all the way through! I:I I:I

and if anyone has seen the inside of the vforce cage, u would see that it is not much bigger than the "hogged out" rad valve, but the inside design is almost the same looking

For comparison, but before porting out the rad-

003.jpg

just remember there is a reason its smallish and then opens up ,its designed to increase intake velocity and equally direct the incoming charge.a 2 cycle engine is basically a pump ...it makes its power by how much air /fuel it can pump through it efficiently,you want to get air/fuel in quickly ..burn it and release it quick and hopefully without too much loss in efficiency .heres some food for thought: if you wanted to fill up your swimming pool faster it wouldnt do you any good to run a bigger diameter garden hose ,you would instead want to turn the pressure up .sometimes velocity is more important than volume and having the right intake setup that matchs the engine application can make a huge difference

So which is better? From floteks stand point he said its not good to port the rad out.....i dont get it at all

i didnt say it was not good to port the rad out ,bascially i said it is important to match the intake to your particular setup,a modifed stroker engine will have different cfm and intake velocity needs compared to a stock one with a fmf pipe.building pressure is important but you still need to acheive the volume or it will get choked out,that was my point there is a relationship that should be maintained

i didnt say it was not good to port the rad out ,bascially i said it is important to match the intake to your particular setup,a modifed stroker engine will have different cfm and intake velocity needs compared to a stock one with a fmf pipe.building pressure is important but you still need to acheive the volume or it will get choked out,that was my point there is a relationship that should be maintained

So if i were to do this, and i ported it to my stock 26mm carb, that would make it work better? I dont know which to choose, Rad Valve or VForce3's?

just remember there is a reason its smallish and then opens up ,its designed to increase intake velocity and equally direct the incoming charge.a 2 cycle engine is basically a pump ...it makes its power by how much air /fuel it can pump through it efficiently,you want to get air/fuel in quickly ..burn it and release it quick and hopefully without too much loss in efficiency .heres some food for thought: if you wanted to fill up your swimming pool faster it wouldnt do you any good to run a bigger diameter garden hose ,you would instead want to turn the pressure up .sometimes velocity is more important than volume and having the right intake setup that matchs the engine application can make a huge difference

i dont have nearly the knowledge as FLOTEK but i agree 100% here and thats why i didnt take mine too far. i wanted to keep the nice low and mid i picked up but needed a little more on top. actually another big reason i did it was there was a naaasty lip where my intake and rad valve would meet and i wanted to smooth it out. so it was kinda a 2'fer lol I:I

Ahh, roger.

Ok, so another n00b question. I really want more low end. I get one of those. Ive heard mixed things about Boyesson reeds. Are they good? Only ones I can run with that rad valve?

Good? I suppose. Boyesen certainly did a lot of engineering on them before putting thier name on it. Noober is the only one I know using it. I tried to buy a used one on ebay once, but got outbid. New, they are more expensive than VF3s, but then again you don't need a separate manifold. They use RAD-valve-only reeds.