1000 CC Blaster?

zraffz

Jul 26, 2009
I am about to attempt to put a 2007 GSXR-1000 bike motor (out of a recently totaled bike) rated at 185 HP into a Blaster. I plan on cutting the top half of the frame apart and then stretching the bottom half just enough for the motor to fit; probably by grinding it apart and sleeving it. After that I will design motor mounts and drop the motor in. Then I'll reweld the top of the frame (and stretch it) back around the motor.
I know I'd have to extend the swing arm like 8 inches, I'm thinking about just designing my own swing arm. How is a swing arm usually extended? Can I just make brackets to offset the swing arm or does the swing arm have to be lengthened? I don't think anybody has ever done this, but anybody have tips on what areas I should really gusset?
Any suggestions on this idea? Should I just go with a bigger quad to use?

I am about to attempt to put a 2007 GSXR-1000 bike motor (out of a recently totaled bike) rated at 185 HP into a Blaster. I plan on cutting the top half of the frame apart and then stretching the bottom half just enough for the motor to fit; probably by grinding it apart and sleeving it. After that I will design motor mounts and drop the motor in. Then I'll reweld the top of the frame (and stretch it) back around the motor.
I know I'd have to extend the swing arm like 8 inches, I'm thinking about just designing my own swing arm. How is a swing arm usually extended? Can I just make brackets to offset the swing arm or does the swing arm have to be lengthened? I don't think anybody has ever done this, but anybody have tips on what areas I should really gusset?
Any suggestions on this idea? Should I just go with a bigger quad to use?

i say just go with a bigger frame and besides that big of an engine in a blaster that would thing would toss u off the bars before you had u got it goin

I plan on building a drag quad, not a daily rider... I drag race a Trans Am at the track and every half hour or so they close the track to cars and only let bikes and quads race; so while my car is cooling down why not race a quad?
Here is the quad and a rough idea of what I plan on doing to the frame during the build.
conceptm.jpg

On top of all this I might possibly cut the swing arm apart and extend that a few inches too. Then I want to offset the rear tires a few inches (4-5 inches).
I eventually want to design a wheelie bar too, something that uses like bolts and cotter pins to attach. Probably run it from the rear part of the frame above the swing arm down about an inch off the ground and have it run behind the quad like 3 feet using scooter wheels.

Final goal is roughly a 9 second 1/4 mile on this thing.

ok seems like a good idea just make sure u have a lot of weight in the front because that will lift up like nothing and you might slip off the back going about 20mph other than that seems like u know what your doing so go for it but i think you would be better off with a banshee frame they are more set up for it

Haha I'm far from knowing what I am doing. Logically it seems like it will work, I have never fabricated anything for a bike or quad... I've done quiet a few car builds from ground up; but it's totally different.

I'll have progress builds as I go along, first off I have to tear the bike motor apart and fix it (just needs a stator). My biggest concern is the wiring harness, I have the ECU and harness but the wiring diagram looks like a nightmare haha. I imagine even though this thing is going to be a little heavier and it's shaped like a brick compared to a bike, it should be just as fast as a bike (more traction)... wheelie bar pending haha.

well there is someone on this forum who has put a big old motorcycle engin in his also and he had to do a lot of work if i can remember what his screen name is ill tell him to talk to u

cut,weld,cut,weld,more cutting,more welding.lol Good luck with the project and keep us updated.

ok seems like a good idea just make sure u have a lot of weight in the front because that will lift up like nothing and you might slip off the back going about 20mph other than that seems like u know what your doing so go for it but i think you would be better off with a banshee frame they are more set up for it

or make a wheelie bar for it if it's just for drag. it would be lighter then adding wheight, so you wouldnt lose as much speed/hp.

Post a pic of the motor next to the quad if ya got one... I would like to see how big the 1000 is.. I dont know much about bikes and transferring motors but wouldnt like a CBR 600 or something be a little easier? A 1000? Wow thats alot of freakin juice...

I'll post a picture of the quad soon, the motor is in my garage and the quad is in the shed at the moment. I really want to use the Blaster frame cause I already have it.

i dont even think you could ride that thing...my uncle put a 125 motor in a pocket bike with a 6in swinger, wheelie bar, and someother stuff and he cant ride it...just no way...