When it rains it pours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
im waiting on pics of the tank, cause ill be in the market for one soon. if i like what i see maybe you could do a stock mount one for me some time down the road?

man i wish i could weld aluminum.... jealous

Craigslist craigslist craigslist, find a AC/DC tiggy. They're not cheap but they are out there.

I'm about half done with the tank proper, the only thing I'm still working on the filler neck. I may ghetto one up to have it done in time for busco. What I'd like to do is a get an aluminum neck and cap for a fuel cell and weld it onto the tank but I may actually cut a stock gas tank apart to rob the neck and cap off of it and screw it to the top of the tank I'm building..... haven't worked out that little detail yet. When I get back from busco I'm going to figure out a better lid system using aluminum so it will be a true all aluminum fuel cell

I could do one for you, PM me we can discuss it.

DSC00310-2.jpg

DSC00311-1.jpg

DSC00316-2.jpg

DSC00314-1.jpg

DSC00317-1.jpg

DSC00315-1.jpg

So what we have here is a fuel tank that bolts in under the front bumper using the bumper bolts as the mounts and has a 1/4" NPT threaded bung at the bottom.

The important thing about this is, it holds liquid!

I still am trying to figure out a way to not have to rig a cap for it. It's a shame for a fine looking tank like that to have a lid rigged up onto it.

I was looking into replacement filler necks for automobiles so I could maybe use a standard fuel cap on it but haven't found anything yet for any sort of reasonable price. I may resort to threaded a piece of aluminum pipe with NPT threads and then getting a matching cap for it and making a check valve into it. Haven't decided yet...

A piece of threaded alluminum pipe most likely will be the way to go, reason being i see alot of dune buggy tanks built the same way and just capped off.

I know I'm not doing my original plan..... I originally was going to hack up the stock fuel tank and cut a nice wide piece of plastic out from around the filler neck and then use some silicone or viton and run bolts through the plastic into the tank.... After seeing the finished product of the tank, I'm going to devise an all metal sealing capacity.

I've seen the "keg tanks" made with a threaded cap on top welded to the tank. I may go that route, it's attractive enough and relatively secure.

Oh, my piston will be here Monday afternoon and I ordered what I *believe* to be the last thing I need to get it ready to rock and roll.... an air filter. I'm going to make a few inch long piece of velocity stack and put the filter straight on the end of that.

i like those tank lids awk i bet that would work for him.

and you said that this is the last bore of this cylinder... so if this works the next logical place is big bore???

i know you're in a hurry, and on a budget, but this is the first thing that came to my mind when you mentioned this a couple days back, maybe for the future ??? .............

Gas Fuel Cap Suzuki GSXR 600 750 1000 Hayabusa Billet C | eBay

Suzuki GSXR 600 750 1000 01 02 Keyless Fuel Cap S8 | eBay

BTW, i like the tank mounting, very ingeneous !!!!!

I don't know if I have time/money for those right now but they're biotch'n awesome. I may do something small and cheap for the mean time and then buy one of those flush lids to put in it later.... Those look cool as hell.

Derek, I don't think an engine in this frame is going to go big bore. I'm kinda liking the max with the minimum approach. If this engine blows but the frame works well, I may go back to the drawing board about the engine over the winter but I don't think even then it'll go big bore.

Thanks tater, I'm knocking off tick marks on the list now....still under the gun but getting closer by the day.

Piston should be here with the mail tomorrow and then it's off to the machine shop for the bore. I've got the billet clutch basket,spings, and the rest of the parts to put the clutch side cover together. Hopefully get the clutch cover on today and start getting the dual ignition system mounted too. Busy, busy, busy!

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad, and the guys we drag race this use these lids for the fuel cells, and ice bins(turbo/procharger coolant LOL) Just something to consider, since they look good, and sit flush with the tank.

That lid looks similar to what Awk posted up. I'm probably going to shoot for a piece of aluminum pipe right now and change it over the winter after my funds have replenished again.

I worked this afternoon on the wheelie bar. Surf, I decided to go to the grab bar mounts. I said I didn't want to because I had found a second grab bar mounting nut stripped out but I just decided to go ahead and weld two replacement nuts in there anyway and use it. I figured higher mounting is better

For the lower mount, I drilled a large piece of 4" tall 1/8" thick plate with four holes in each corner, and welded two pieces of 1" square tubing on the backside. I then sourced two "u bolts" which fit around the carrier and bolted the plate to the carrier.

For the upper mount I fabbed a bracket out of 1 1/2" angle iron around the grab bar mounts and then a piece of angle across the back with a piece of 1" square tubing welded in the middle.

The wheelie bar will be a three leg design quick release with "hitch pins" and "cotter pins" holding it on the back of the quad with the exception of the mounting plates which are bolted on obviously.

I also got the clutch basket mounted on the gear this afternoon and got nearly everything slid together to put the clutch cover on. I then figured out I don't have an inner clutch hub! I think I'm going to whip out the plastic again :( and just order a new one.

Piston should be here tomorrow so I'll get the cylinder to the machine shop tomorrow afternoon hopefully back by midweek.

Looks like I'll have it together before Busco on the 22nd but with hardly any tuning time and no room for errors, I'm still up against the clock.

I am not doing a video of the startup. I will take a video after I've done at least one heat cycle. If it blows immediately, I don't want any videographic proof of it! LOL

yeah man that cap looks like it will work perfect.

Yeah, nothing really special... like an old tractor gas cap but it's vented and the neck is aluminum. Should stick up between the two pipes of the front bumper nicely and be good and big enough to fill the tank easily.

I like the flush one's Awk posted up BUT they're located in Hong Kong and may take several weeks for delivery so the decision was simple!

Yeah, nothing really special... like an old tractor gas cap but it's vented and the neck is aluminum. Should stick up between the two pipes of the front bumper nicely and be good and big enough to fill the tank easily.

I like the flush one's Awk posted up BUT they're located in Hong Kong and may take several weeks for delivery so the decision was simple!

only thing i just thought of is that how good is it vented? you may want to drill it and hookup a hose or something to vent it better. dont want to it to vacuum lock and starve the engine from fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.