Opinion on 06 Z400

I raced (and beat) one with a 440 kit on the trails the other day. I haven't owned one before, but I've ridden a regular LTZ 400 and they are a lot of fun for 'all around' riding.
Only issue I have with them is that they sit up high, sort of like a 660 Raptor, so the quad feels top-heavy at times. Not a deal-killer, but worth mentioning. I would take a Z400 over a 400ex any day.

i've owned one and it was a fun bike and dependable.....depending on what u want it for with a few mods they can be real nice

Great quads. Lot of fun and easy to handle. The valvetrain is the only worthwhile flaw and the are a pain to adjust like mentioned on E2S and the timing chain tensioners need modded as soon as you can but those are the only problems. Otherwise they rip.

Great quads. Lot of fun and easy to handle. The valvetrain is the only worthwhile flaw and the are a pain to adjust like mentioned on E2S and the timing chain tensioners need modded as soon as you can but those are the only problems. Otherwise they rip.

Aha! So it wasn't just the Z440 I raced that had a problem. It had nasty cam chain slappage going on, so I guess nobody bothered to fix the tensioner issue. Guess that problem runs in the LTZ400 family.

Still, its nothing that can't be fixed and @dakotademon, 4-stroke top ends aren't TOO terrible to deal with once you've worked on a couple. Fixing them helps me pay my bills! Lol.

I know someone is going to bash me. I havnt desided yet. I have a guy that wants to trade me for two 06 Z400's. One needs top end work and the other needs trans work. One has a white brothers exhaust. Both are in real nice shape other then the problems listed. Thinking of fixing both and have one for winter ridding and one to try and trade for a nice worked Blaster or othe 2 stroke quad.

It sounds like a good idea to me. With maybe trading for a 2 stroke after u get em running good it's a win win situation in my eyes. And u would hav a nice 400 and 2 stroke if ur plans go the way u want it to

That's always nice and one thing a lot of people I see want to switch to a 4 stroke cause they think its the way to go, but there decision. So u could get a nice trade after it's all done

I would still trade one for a Blaster or other 2 stroke quad. It would be nice to have a 4 stroke for winter that can deal with a wider range of temps when it comes to jetting. The temp tends to jump around alot in winter here.

So does someone want to trade on for your Blaster? If so DO IT! That 400 will sell for so much more and they are so much funner IMO. I say DO IT!

have u ever fixed those issues on a different quad? what makes u so certain u can do the work? not hating mang just askin..

38b00697.jpg