Odd problem..maybe you have the answer

hondaruss

Jul 18, 2010
Lima, Ohio
Here is the scoop.. my buddy bough a blaster today.. it idles no problem.. hit the gas and it bogg until the RPM's pick up and then it seems to run ok on the top end. But there is something weird also we had the take the clutch cover off and out came alot of gas..weird.. but anyway..
So far we have taken the carb apart cleaned it really well. also took the air box lid off. checked the plug..havent done a compression check on it.. but mix is 32:1 Any possibilities would be great.. or some general maybes would help to.. this is all stock blaster.. but he said its bored 20 over.. but stock exhaust..air box. etc etc

any ideas or avenues to try would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Russ

if the floats or needle valve are messed up it will let gas into the bottom end over time, but having it in the clutch cover is weird.. musta leaked around a seal or do you see a crack in the cases anywheres?

if the floats or needle valve are messed up it will let gas into the bottom end over time, but having it in the clutch cover is weird.. musta leaked around a seal or do you see a crack in the cases anywheres?

yup^^^^^

another thing to check is make sure that the vent hose for the trans isn't hooked to the carb

Them are ideas i can look at also. There appeared to be no visable cracks that i came across. I'll check the hose also. i am going to do a leak down on the motor to see if it is air tight.. if it is i am going to check compression.. if that is good.. only thing left is the carb..

thanks for the ideas guys!

yeah boring it out wouldnt even increase power (unless its a 240 bbk) it wont need a bigger carb

boring it out will increase power, but not noticeable.
also, how long did the quad sit?
maybe all it needs is an oil change and the carb cleaned.
drain your tranny fluid and see how it looks.

boring it out will increase power, but not noticeable.
also, how long did the quad sit?
maybe all it needs is an oil change and the carb cleaned.
drain your tranny fluid and see how it looks.

The quad sat for not that long. We tore the carb down.. took out th main jet and the float needle ..everything got cleaned well blew out with compressed air all passages are clear and looking great. at this point i am leaning towards a leaky crankcase or compression is low. ..its weird at the top end when the rpms start to get up..it come in to the power band and goes ..but on the bottom end from a dead stop you can full throttle it and it just boggs and barley moves ..you have to let the clutch in get the RPM up and slip it then it takes right off..

sounds like jetting is off, or maybe a weak spark.
do a compression test and see what you get.
but still change the tranny oil.

SO here is a update... checked compression its 120. took the carb back apart checked needle clip placement. The clip was on the 2nd from bottom stock size needle. wasnt able to do a leak down lack of air compressor. the spark plug in it is a br8iex a iridium plug. anyway changed trhe clip to the 2nd from the bottom..seem to help it alittle. She runs liek crap i you have the air box lid on.. took it off still stumbles and boggs bad on low end but one she stumbles to the power band it takes off and seems to run fine..weird..anyway adjusted the idle mixture screw turned allway in and 1 1/2 turn out. other then that. im lost....any more ideas would be great!

you're too rich , either your pre-mix is off or the jetting is off , mix a few gallons at 32:1 ( or are you still running the stock oil injector?) if you are pre-mixing , mix say 2 gallons at 32:1 ratio , and get a few plugs , what is your current mainjet? stock is 230 . Do a plug chop and take a look at it , if it comes out black and wet , drop 2 mainjet sizes and do it again , keep doing it until you get a tan/dry plug . it sounds like its not flowing enough air to run properly until it hits the upper end of the powerband , its too rich .

The clip was on the 2nd from bottom stock size needle..... anyway changed trhe clip to the 2nd from the bottom..seem to help it alittle.

i am lost, did you move the clip at all????
change your pilot a size or two down and see how that work.