can u trail ride with a dune porting job?

GunBlast

May 17, 2009
tennessee
can u still trail ride with a dune port job done or will it kill the motor unless its topped out or lug out 1 or the other? Also should i go with Kennedy or flotek for porting and head work??

well i just want a good job done and as much power as possible, thinking about a dune port but havent heard much on powerband difference weather or not it would be a wise way to go. I trail ride alot but do alot of hill climbing and wide open field riding

wildcard recommended a dune port for me for the riding i do and he said it would work better with my toomey pipe

well its too late now LOL ....you got the port, just ride with it....as long as its not a drag port you should be fine

yes you can trail ride with a dune port. depending on your riding it may not be the best as a dune port come on strong in the mid and will loose some to an aggressive trail/mx port on the bottom. i am planning a dune port and will use the blaster for both the dunes and trails. i may gear down the blaster for trail riding so as to make up for some of the lost low end and to give the clutch a rest. but i agree you should talk with a builder and let them help you to decide. personally, if you are not going to be riding dunes/coal hills or other similar areas you might be better served with a trail/aggressive trail as they will give you a wonderfully wide powerband that will be easier to ride in tighter areas.

i hate it when people call them trail ports, dune ports.....my banshee is setup for midrange. which means its makes great power down low and mid...not a ton up top. but thats ok because i dont want to wind it out long like im drag racing....dont need a lot up top.

for trails and dunes i say go with a midrange setup..enough power to climb hills, thrash trails, and still have the power you need to go wide open in fields.

yz otis had a great answer about builders....if you want my opinion. i have seen both builders work on different engines (blasters, banshees) i prefer kennedy over flotek. but thats just my opinion. others may differ. contact both and talk to them. thats your best bet.

yea i say what everyone else has, give them a message (flotek, wildcard, kennedy etc) and check out their work and pricing, how far they are from you etc. i went with flotek for my reasons and im very happy with him.

It all is going to depend on how tight/technical your trails are and how much you are willing to use your clutch. I've seen guys "trail" ride aggressive dune ports, but it's not as much fun as a trail or aggressive trail in the real tight spots. If your trails are open fast trails then a dune type port might just be the ticket.
Rockstar, I understand what you're saying as well about trail, dune ect. ports. The reason I line them out that way is because there are differences in the port shapes I use between the aggressive trail and dune ports to affect the power delivery even though they are both focussed towards mid range power. I guess I could list them as low-mid (trail), mid (aggressive trail), mid/mid-top (dune), mid-top (aggressive dune) and top (drag). But I find it's easier for most people to just think about what type of riding they're doing and select the port named for it. Then I take my base port layout and customize it to their exact needs based on their weight, mods, elevation and fuel selection.

an effective port layout is one that works with the rest of the package.. the port duration must be sized correctly for teh pipe your using.. there is a reason a 2 stroke expansion chamber is shaped the way that it is.. it's not to look pretty.. the length, diameter, and angle of the expansion chamber effect the "tuning" of that pipe.. the return wave of thta pipe must be set up correctly for the exhaust port duration... in a perfect world you'd set up an engine and then build the corresponding pipe to work with it.. but in the real world we use the pipes that are available to us and port to match them.. so you can name a port layout whatever you want.. but if it's not on the same page with the rest of your setup you've built an expensive dog turd.. if your using a mid range pipe you build a midrange engine.. a "dune" port means absolutly nothing.. in fact 5 people might build 5 different setups and call them all "dune ports".. and another thing wtf is up with this "aggressive" BS i see all the time? is this something to make it sound like it's faster? the fact is you build a setup that works together correctly.. most engine spend 80% of thier life in the midrange.. so tuck that away in your brain for the next time you wanna build an engine.. just because a "drag" port is tuned for upper RPM power doesn't mean it should have no power anywhere else.. in fact.. when you shift there is an RPM differential from say 1st gear to 2nd gear.. everytime youi pull the clutch you lose RPM.. then you shift an teh engine needs to pull that gear up thought the rpm again.. if you build a very pipey setup with 1,000 rpm of useable power you'll have a high spinning turd... people think the more duration the faster i go.. the bigger the pipe the faster i go.. thats not the case... and just because an engine will spin 11k rpm doesn't mean your gonna use that all the time..

so in getting back to the original question "can i ride trails with a dune port" i guess that depends on what exactly you call a "dune" port..

Reactions: tyler1blaster
Porters and owners call them dune, drag, aggressive trail, ect. cause to the everyman spouting off a bunch of numbers doesn't make any sense.
When you ask a porter to do a dune port you are trusting his experience on what he believes a dune port should be.
Like stated earlier your best bet is to just tell your portman what type of riding you do and what you want.
Let him decide what to give you thats his job.

and another thing wtf is up with this "aggressive" BS i see all the time? is this something to make it sound like it's faster?

This post tells me you have no idea about the effects of port angles and shapes and their effects on power delivery. I've seen what your work is and isn't capable of first hand and have several credible witness's to it. LMAO!

"so tuck that away in your brain for the next time you wanna build an engine"

This post tells me you have no idea about the effects of port angles and shapes and their effects on power delivery. I've seen what your work is and isn't capable of first hand and have several credible witness's to it. LMAO!

Wow you got him good

so because i don't see the point in people using agressive this and aggeressive that.. it's weird the only people i see slinging that term around is you and flotek.. so i guess the rest of us are all wrong i take it?

so you saw one of the first cylinder i ever did? congrats...

First of all, what in the hell were you doing expirimenting on other peoples cylinders....marks of a true proffesional there. Wow!

Secondly, every builder has their own way of presenting their product and I'm pretty sure that Denny and myself are not the only ones to use the terms "trail and dune" when describing port work.

Third, I never even hinted that anyone not useing the terms "trail" or "dune" to describe their porting is wrong for not using it.

And lastly, I believe you are well on your way to figuring out how to port an engine. You've got the basics down on port timing and port area, but there's a lot more to it than you have a handle on just from reading your posts.

Last edited: