DKavcak

Nov 6, 2019
Blakeslee, PA
So the old lady and I went out riding a week and a half ago. The DCNR trail by me has a lot of water and rocks.

With that being said, my '91 became a Blaster. I lost the rear brakes and the fronts faded after about an hour of very hard riding.

Can someone please tell me why Yamaha decided that cable brakes on an ATV was a good idea?

Also, since I plan on going full-hydro fronts after I get my tax return, what is a cheap alternative for a hydraulic rear caliper without changing the swingarm, carrier, and axles?

Reactions: Blasterjohny
They did it to save money, this was the cheapest (and one of my favorite) sport quads available, with that comes some sacrifice's such as cable brakes and below average suspension. From what I've read, best rear brake setup is a used GSXR caliper and master, you will have to make a bracket to mount the master and caliper and weld some type of connection from your brake pedal to the master.

They did it to save money, this was the cheapest (and one of my favorite) sport quads available, with that comes some sacrifice's such as cable brakes and below average suspension. From what I've read, best rear brake setup is a used GSXR caliper and master, you will have to make a bracket to mount the master and caliper and weld some type of connection from your brake pedal to the master.
I know I'd have to make two brackets:
- Make one so the caliper is "fixed" since we have a floating rotor (apparently) and adapts to the carrier
- Make another to mount the master cylinder to the frame

I got no issue with welding and making brackets, it's moreso the cost side of things.

So the old lady and I went out riding a week and a half ago. The DCNR trail by me has a lot of water and rocks.

With that being said, my '91 became a Blaster. I lost the rear brakes and the fronts faded after about an hour of very hard riding.

Can someone please tell me why Yamaha decided that cable brakes on an ATV was a good idea?

Also, since I plan on going full-hydro fronts after I get my tax return, what is a cheap alternative for a hydraulic rear caliper without changing the swingarm, carrier, and axles?
Look at any entry level dirtbike or quad they all have non hydraulic brakes.cheaper. backs not hard. Make rear bracket for caliper.add to existing brake pedal.like 30 or $50. For rear

Adjusting the fronts are easy, but I HATE drum brakes.
Drum brakes suck on cars, they suck on trucks, and they most certainly are **** as front brakes on a quad.
Just messing with you .they suck even when they work.they slow you down.but stopping?

Better use them till you get hydros.member best had some pictures of a simple rear bracket setup using blaster rear hydraulic caliper
I've been looking at that for awhile now.
It seems really easy to do, however, my only concern is the metal-on-metal aspect of the caliper. While I know I'm splitting hairs at that point, I'm not a big fan of metal-on-metal without a gasket, especially since the back of the caliper is exposed to make it a "fixed" caliper.

Make a little cap for it.or use existing cap with longer bolts?ulta gray high tourqe gasket maker

Make a little cap for it.or use existing cap with longer bolts?ulta gray high tourqe gasket maker
I'm sure I could probably make a gasket at work.
I work at a company where we deal with a lot of rubber components, so we get raw rubber in a lot.
I can trace out the pattern I need, make a slab, and cut out the gasket. It would probable have to be a maximum of about .090" so it doesn't pinch or compress too much and definitely not out of silicone, as the raw silicone swells with water.