Building a blaster for the 450 mx class. I must be crazy!!

BlackStar

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Well I've been toying with this idea for over a year now. I've been wanting to try my hand at racing quads. I have over 20yrs experience racing motocross(2 yrs pro) but non at all, when it comes to racing quads lol. I've always been a 2 stroke fan, and have always campaigned a 2 stroke if I had the choice. One of the issues I had when thinking about transitioning to quads was that I wanted a 2 stroke, yet all the race quads out there are 4 strokes. That left me with the option of a Trx or LT 250r. Good bikes, but I dont want a machine thats almost as old as me lol. That left me with the blaster. Far from a race machine, but it is a 2 stroke, I could get one fairly new, and does have some attributes that will make it a fun race bike when built. Well I pulled the trigger today and bought the newest/cleanest/cheapest blaster I could find. Its an '06 special edition thats been ridden lightly. Only mod it has is the oil injection block off. And I scored it for $1000. First impression... Holy smokes its slow compared to my piped and ported '94 I sold last year hahaha. Oh well, Its a nice clean slate for me to build from. This bike has to be done by mid february since the Quadcross series here starts in march. I'll post pics of the build as it progresses.
Plans are pretty much the usual race set up. +3+1 arms, +6 axle, +2 swinger, +3+1 stem, hot motor, etc. One thing that will be a bit different with this build is most of the work including a-arm and swing arm fabrication etc. will be done exclusively by me. Bonus of being a mechanical engineering major and having a fab shop to my disposal I:I
Anyway here is the stocker in all her glory.

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

It's going to be difficult to get the little blaster to put enough sustained power to hang with the 450 4 jokes. You can put some ridiculous power but it's gonna fade with heat pretty bad. I think you can get ahead and then possibly use your suspension and driving skill to STAY ahead, maybe.

I want to see what you do with your suspension and setup.

You know building your own suspension isn't THAT crazy, I know a guy *wink wink* who has done it before.

I'm with tater, I'll be checking back to watch the progress of THIS one.

I've talked to 245stroker a bit. He's the one that kinda gave me confirmation that it is doable. I dont wanna go longer than 2" on the swinger. Just from my history racing and riding I know I prefer a shorter swinger than most. Its just the way I ride. My banshee had a shortened swinger, my lt500 had a shortened swinger.

just what i would do. +2 +3 extended long travel swingarm and +4 or +5/+1 long travel a arms. also extended anti vibe steering stem. ect ect ect

Got any of the motor figured out? You would need alot of power like a ported ct240 topend +3 or +4 longrod crank with nice carb pipe and reeds mixed in.

Got any of the motor figured out? You would need alot of power like a ported ct240 topend +3 or +4 longrod crank with nice carb pipe and reeds mixed in.

there are other BBK's that put out a ton of power as well lol ;) :), but sounds like a fun build, take lots of pics!!

Haha i almost said airsal in there but just didnt think of it. Do you know which one creates more power? or has more potentional between ct and airsal?

Haha i almost said airsal in there but just didnt think of it. Do you know which one creates more power? or has more potentional between ct and airsal?

I believe CT has slightly better porting and the CR250 reed cage but the airsal kit is Nikasil'd so it can pass off heat better. Heat is going to be the original poster's biggest problem.

The suspension, tires, brakes, rims, and body can all be made competitive and it'll fly... but air cooled engines "wither down" from their initial peak power output as a race drags on. The airsal might shine in that situation.

I personally seen super noober hang with a modified 450 around a flat track I:I
It can be done but you def need to take steps to prevent heat soak.
Maybe sneak an alcohol carb on her.

good score for $1000, thats a clean blaster. Good luck with the build man...sounds like its going to be a good one