Blow up carnage and rebuild

89blaster89

Aug 26, 2011
Pacific northwest, washington
im starting a new thread for my engine rebuild, I finally took it all apart and took the motor out of my blaster, the piston has a nickel sized hole right in the middle of it, the rings and side of piston seem to be in not to bad of shape, the bore is in GREAT condition still, no scratches gouges or anything. it had 150 psi before it blew. im thinking it was a airleak but forgot to leaktest before tear down :( , after a long hard ride it would rev up at a stop and going slow in 1st gear it would pulsate and drive on its own until I hit brakes. so airleak im guessing. I think I may just throw in a new wiseco piston same size and clean the bottom end and call it good, it has a wiseco crank I found out also I:I , let me know what you think. also all my mods are in my sig. I also had a 350 main, so again, airleak maybe. ps, I found a small crack looking thing at very bottom of sleeve were its paper thin (pictured)

25jxllc.jpg

2ur3s4n.jpg

30j2txs.jpg

2ekqh47.jpg

29gohm8.jpg

29dipt.jpg

72bw46.jpg

eeeewww....green paper base gasket, a known souce of airleaks.
be sure you use an OEM or cometic base gasket this go round.

and what the hell are these (circled) ???
look like rocks ?.........

2zsyxrn.jpg

btw, nice hole in the piston, cap the bottom of it and use it for a piggy bank :)

eeeewww....green paper base gasket, a known souce of airleaks.
be sure you use an OEM or cometic base gasket this go round.

and what the hell are these (circled) ???
look like rocks ?.........

2zsyxrn.jpg

btw, nice hole in the piston, cap the bottom of it and use it for a piggy bank :)

chunks of piston lmao! and yes I noticed that gasket also. im just a dumbazz, I wish I woulda leak tested the dang thing before i tore it apart.

This is what I would do. Get a used cylinder off eBay. Get the top end done and have it ported. If that cylinder has been on that bore for 7 years I would not just throw a piston in it. You can use the money you got for the kx.

This is what I would do. Get a used cylinder off eBay. Get the top end done and have it ported. If that cylinder has been on that bore for 7 years I would not just throw a piston in it. You can use the money you got for the kx.

I would love to use the money from the kx but I have to spend it on car insurance :( , I did find a few cylinders on flee bay I emailed. I really wanna get a port job since ill probably keep this for awhile and it would be a beast but its just money is an issue. I need to find a job. maybe I could hone it? I don't wanna bore it though, the sleeve is super thin already

Well if you use that cylinder and don't get it bored I wish you the best of luck at least measure it and make sure it is within spec. I don't think that crack at the bottom of the cylinder would affect anything, but I'm not sure. I still say get a cylinder with some more life in it.

Like I said before, has to be an air leak with a 350 main :eek:

I would consider splitting the cases too. Looks like there is a lot of debris on top of the crank, imagine what else is down there. Just take your time and do it right, you'll appreciate it much more.

Well if you use that cylinder and don't get it bored I wish you the best of luck at least measure it and make sure it is within spec. I don't think that crack at the bottom of the cylinder would affect anything, but I'm not sure. I still say get a cylinder with some more life in it.

Like I said before, has to be an air leak with a 350 main :eek:

I would consider splitting the cases too. Looks like there is a lot of debris on top of the crank, imagine what else is down there. Just take your time and do it right, you'll appreciate it much more.

yea im not to for sure I can split the cases, I don't have the correct tools or knowledge, il read up on it though, should I drain the gear oil out? could it have debris in it?

If you want my opinion, this isn't just a "clean 'er up and throw a new top end in it". Those crank bearings are now full of debris and it's not a matter of IF it will come apart but WHEN it will. I highly suggest at the very least splitting the bottom end and cleaning everything very thoroughly. If it was my quad, it would have a newer cylinder and all bearings.

Ohhh and by the way.... Those port jobs are a lot cheaper for the contest winners aren't they??? Because I'm pretty sure you held off on the work from my contest because it was on the last bore right? So the offer still stands if you are planning on rebuilding it. You pay shipping both ways and you'll have the trail port I offered. Let me know man!

If you want my opinion, this isn't just a "clean 'er up and throw a new top end in it". Those crank bearings are now full of debris and it's not a matter of IF it will come apart but WHEN it will. I highly suggest at the very least splitting the bottom end and cleaning everything very thoroughly. If it was my quad, it would have a newer cylinder and all bearings.

Ohhh and by the way.... Those port jobs are a lot cheaper for the contest winners aren't they??? Because I'm pretty sure you held off on the work from my contest because it was on the last bore right? So the offer still stands if you are planning on rebuilding it. You pay shipping both ways and you'll have the trail port I offered. Let me know man!

oh yeah I forgot about that lol, and yeah im gonna split the cases, I just either need to have the local banshee builder do it or ill need to do some reading and buy some tools. I just got a interview at the local car mechanic shop so hopefully I get that job to pull some money in for this build. and by all new beraring you mean crank bearings? what else are there ?

Well of course you would drain the gear oil if you split the cases. There will not be debris where the gear oil is though. They are two separate cavities. I recommend watching Ken's videos on bottom end rebuild. It's not hard. He gives step by step instructions. And not to turn bad news into worse news, but wiseco is the worst possible crank available. I know a couple people who refuse to use them. They make good pistons, but have a bad rep when it comes to cranks. I would make sure you have NO up and down play on the crank rod. Also pop the stator cover off. Spin the flywheel with one hand and hold the crank rod with your other hand. Make sure you don't have any tight spots. If so you need to replace the main bearings.

I am telling you this because I'm fairly certain you are going to try to hone the cylinder and order pistons and gaskets and keep your fingers crossed. :D

I told you what I would do.

yea, I think my wiseco crank is good? they just now started becoming bad because they are made in china or whatever, not sure. the rod felt good I checked that out today also. my plan so far will be to get all new oem gaskets, new cylinder, go back to the stock head maybe, split cases, check all bearings and clean out the bottom end, may have a shop do it though.

No case splitter required. I have rebuilt 2 bottom ends already. No big deal. Go to you tube and search "ken occonor blaster bottom end. There is 4 parts.

your gonna be broke after this rebuild!!! one thing after another! good luck at the car mechanic. just tell them you need money for your blaster,im sure they'll understand!!!

I watched Ken's video's last month, He breaks everything down so easily, and points out alot of things ,most people overlook.
Judging by the piston debris that's visible, one will never know whats not visible. Some little pieces of $hit are probably waiting to destroy a bearing. I also agree with Wfie's, Dont just hone it and keep your fingers crossed. Its always better in Life to do it right once, the first time. Sometimes when you try to save money now, It costs you alot more later on.

Just my $0.02 Just trying to help.

Fred