When it rains it pours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I don't have a problem forming it. I was looking at forming the nylon anyway... I need two pieces maybe 1.5' long and maybe 4" wide. Not a huge amount...

I'll take it! PM you my address!

I stand by my words earlier in the thread. This is a great build showing some great ingenuity. Nothing wrong with thinkin outside the proverbial box. And, I guess everyone who has "critiqued" the posted pics has not kept in mind that none of them are of a finished product. I never once believed that the pics of that cylinder were of a finished port job. And if they were, still better than some of kennedy's work.

However true it may be that 200+ degrees is bad for wear, who said drag engines were built for 100 hours? Many drag engines are rebuilt after every race and most need it. Top fuel engines need that rebuilding since going fast aint going cheap. 8000 horse aint easy on those engines and 60+ aint gonna be easy on the blasty engine either.

i know people who rebuild every 20+ hrs on +4 bbk. its all about weighing the good for the bad, squezze a few more hrs out of it? or dig piston chunks and metal shavings out of the motor? id go with the latter of the 2..go for it civic, just make sure ur safety measures are in place, plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Hell, if this engine makes it through a weekend I'm going to put that in a W box! LMAO!

I'm not even sure if this engine is going to snarl or whimper but I'm willing to TRY.

I got a question as most of this thread has me thinkin about things to do. Why with a longer chain instead of a slider, why can't you use a small sprocket welded in place on shaft on the swingarm to take up some of the slack in the long chain? I was thinkin if you did this then you could put it closer to the rear sprocket and up a little to keep the chain in contact with more of the rear sprocket. Just thinkin out loud. I am watchin this with some serious intrest as I have a second Blaster thats all in pieces that could be assembled however.

I got a question as most of this thread has me thinkin about things to do. Why with a longer chain instead of a slider, why can't you use a small sprocket welded in place on shaft on the swingarm to take up some of the slack in the long chain? I was thinkin if you did this then you could put it closer to the rear sprocket and up a little to keep the chain in contact with more of the rear sprocket. Just thinkin out loud. I am watchin this with some serious intrest as I have a second Blaster thats all in pieces that could be assembled however.

Chains are a highly efficient way to transmit power but they have a few limitations. They have to be lubed and they have to slide, and they have a tensile strength far below their components rating. The reason for the lower strength than components is because of "slap" Chains with slack in them form a wave motion which travels along their length when they're in motion until it is restrained with by physical outside forces or because of limits in its travel. Like an ocean wave that nears a shallow beach area, the unrestrained wave energy travels to the limits of its length and then the amplitude increases. The "slop" at the end whips chain up against the sprocket and puts a LOT more force on the chain than the engine ever could.

Sliders act like a wave breaker (look up DOLOS) which physically restrain the chain from slapping along it's length (not just in one area which would only concentrate the slapping motion into a different spot than the front or rear sprocket). They also provide a straight long path for the chain to rest on instead of it hitting any old thing

I'm running a ridgid rear suspension like most purpose built draggers. With this setup I can stretch the chain taut and keep it there most likely which means slop *shouldn't* be much of an issue with this build but this build isn't only about this build.... it's about getting people thinking and moving so the knowledge is worth more than the chain slider itself.

pfft we will see

Now now, no need for trash talking or hype. I'm still putting things together so there's no guarantee I'm even going to make the deadline.

Chains are a highly efficient way to transmit power but they have a few limitations. They have to be lubed and they have to slide, and they have a tensile strength far below their components rating. The reason for the lower strength than components is because of "slap" Chains with slack in them form a wave motion which travels along their length when they're in motion until it is restrained with by physical outside forces or because of limits in its travel. Like an ocean wave that nears a shallow beach area, the unrestrained wave energy travels to the limits of its length and then the amplitude increases. The "slop" at the end whips chain up against the sprocket and puts a LOT more force on the chain than the engine ever could.

Sliders act like a wave breaker (look up DOLOS) which physically restrain the chain from slapping along it's length (not just in one area which would only concentrate the slapping motion into a different spot than the front or rear sprocket). They also provide a straight long path for the chain to rest on instead of it hitting any old thing

I'm running a ridgid rear suspension like most purpose built draggers. With this setup I can stretch the chain taut and keep it there most likely which means slop *shouldn't* be much of an issue with this build but this build isn't only about this build.... it's about getting people thinking and moving so the knowledge is worth more than the chain slider itself.

Now now, no need for trash talking or hype. I'm still putting things together so there's no guarantee I'm even going to make the deadline.

well if u dont there are a few other draggers there to hand out whoopins lol

Bad news fella's, I waited too long on the pipe and it had already started to form surface rust. I went to lightly brush the rust off and the blue was getting brushed too so I decided to just go ahead and paint it. It's now silver high temp header paint, not the most attractive (the natural was really starting to grow on me) but it's probably the best protected like that.

Bad news fella's, I waited too long on the pipe and it had already started to form surface rust. I went to lightly brush the rust off and the blue was getting brushed too so I decided to just go ahead and paint it. It's now silver high temp header paint, not the most attractive (the natural was really starting to grow on me) but it's probably the best protected like that.

yeah man my rdz pipe is a bare steel finish.. what a pain to keep nice.

I'm not even gonna try now. I painted it and will just rock on.

Good news, Conquest came through. I met him just after lunch at his work and now I have two nice chunks of GOOD 520 o-ring chain. One is blue and the other is natural but both are tight and some portion of one of these is going onto this beast.

I also called a local welding shop to find out how much their argon cylinders are to exchange and found out I can exchange the cylinder I currently have (airgas) for theirs (machine and welding) with no problem, they'll just charge me for the gas. Now getting a new argon cylinder shouldn't be such a pain!

I'm not even gonna try now. I painted it and will just rock on.

Good news, Conquest came through. I met him just after lunch at his work and now I have two nice chunks of GOOD 520 o-ring chain. One is blue and the other is natural but both are tight and some portion of one of these is going onto this beast.

I also called a local welding shop to find out how much their argon cylinders are to exchange and found out I can exchange the cylinder I currently have (airgas) for theirs (machine and welding) with no problem, they'll just charge me for the gas. Now getting a new argon cylinder shouldn't be such a pain!

thats cool man.. just wanted to point out that o ring chains are not the ideal choice on drag quads..but i do understand that you are on a budget and a schedule..just sayin. ill get the poly ready for ya this afternoon.

lol we will see.. as for ian im surprised with you man.. though u were better than that.. everyone can have opinions but that was uncalled for..

Oh here we go.Kyle answer me one question. Would you run it?? and would you run wheel barrow tires on your dragger.I am speaking the truth unlike most in here.He can have an A for effort but lets be honest it is far from decent looking.He gets all kinds of hype and good words on it and guess I am the only one with a set to be able to call him out on it.Should I call him out on him talking sh*t about my tires saying they are not ply rated and speed rated,dot approved etc. Guess he should stop listening to jj&a cause these tires are dot approved,ply rated etc. Guess sivic doesn't know all does he.Why don't you jump on him for for saying what he says?As stated as before I am not calling out sivic,I am just speaking the truth cause he needs to hear it.He does not need to hear how good of a job the porting looks when it doesn't look good.Remember when kennedy got called out on his work?It was for good reason correct?So what was really uncalled for? speaking the truth?? Should I lie instead?Whats uncalled for is you calling me out for calling it like it is.I guess you would be happy with receiving this type of work?Didn't you call kennedy out mulitple times on the same sh*t?

Sivic I am trying to leave this thread alone as my opinion and comments have been made,but if peeps want to give me sh*t then I am going to keep posting my thoughts.Again I have said my peace,good luck with your project.Hope it all works out the way you intend.

I have an idea for power transfer, since your useing a drag frame and stock everything else you could try useing your stock swing arm. But cut it in the same spot on both sides and make it an inch or two shorter. So that way the chain has less distance to travel in transfering your power to the sprocket for much more responce. But of corse still use a wheelie bar for support so it dosent get away from you.

Dually, Kennedy got called out because he was selling junk and profitting from it (and because he is a drunk).

This is for me, by me, and specifically not for sale. Who built your engine? Oh that's right not you. When you build a dragger from scratch and decide to push the envelope I'll be sure to troll your thread. Until then, I'd like you to distance yourself from my thread.

As far as jj&a is concerned I was working off what I was told by the tech line. Nothing more....

Last edited:
I have an idea for power transfer, since your useing a drag frame and stock everything else you could try useing your stock swing arm. But cut it in the same spot on both sides and make it an inch or two shorter. So that way the chain has less distance to travel in transfering your power to the sprocket for much more responce. But of corse still use a wheelie bar for support so it dosent get away from you.

Well that would put the weight shift back behind the rear tires. There is a formula for where you want the "weight" of the bike. I don't know it exactly LOL but I guessed as best I can at it.

The ideal situation is for the rear tires to be the ONLY thing touching the ground when you launch. The best situation is for the front tires to be abouttoo. a half an inch off ground because THAT way no energy was wasted getting the quad any farther back onto the rear tires than necessary and the rear tires have 100% of the traction they can get.

If you set the rear tires even farther under the seat than they currently are, the weight of the bike would rock back past the rear tires and more weight would be put back onto the wheelie bar tire wasting energy.

I'm rocking a +8 swinger to this show.

Tater, what about o-ring chains is bad? Not like I have the budget or time to get one..... just more for my own curiosity. LOL

I think if you were selling this as a product then you'd be scaring a lot of people. As you said this is for you and you understand and accept the inherent danger of experimental building. Your tires and porting are something I wouldn't have tried or thought of but I'm watching with interest. If any part of this does or doesn't work then I'm sure everyone is takin notes. The only thing I would like to add is that you don't push the limits to the point that you know something will happen and that you try to control failure. Don't get hurt but by all means stay out of the "box" !!

I think if you were selling this as a product then you'd be scaring a lot of people. As you said this is for you and you understand and accept the inherent danger of experimental building. Your tires and porting are something I wouldn't have tried or thought of but I'm watching with interest. If any part of this does or doesn't work then I'm sure everyone is takin notes. The only thing I would like to add is that you don't push the limits to the point that you know something will happen and that you try to control failure. Don't get hurt but by all means stay out of the "box" !!

Oh this is not a sale-able product. LMAO this is just something crazy I'm doing for myself.

If the ONLY thing I achieve with this build (for instance the engine siezes the first minute it's run) is to get people thinking outside of the box, I'll consider it a win.

I don't share the same concerns dualstroke, Awk, and O'connor racing do. That is their opinion and they are entitled to it. Not going to stop me or make my change these plans either... I'm working like mad to get this ready for busco and I'm going to be piloting it for AT LEAST the first dozen runs or so. If someone else *coughMikecough* would like to straddle the beast, they can do so as long as they also understand the inherent risks associated with this build, type of racing, and sport in general. As 2smoker stated, we all do dangerous stuff all the time and never think about it....I'm just trying to have some fun while doing something a little dangerous.

I'm rocking a +8 swinger to this show.
good call ^^^^^^^ will be really close, if not perfect.
Tater, what about o-ring chains is bad? Not like I have the budget or time to get one..... just more for my own curiosity. LOL

the o rings add resistance.. just more friction in there=less hp at the wheels.

the o rings add resistance.. just more friction in there=less hp at the wheels.

OHHHH ok. Makes perfect sense.... I wasn't even thinking about resistance....

I was thinking you were talking about some sort of strength reason. Well, this is the freebie score I got so I'm gonna have to take a HP or two hit on it. Not much I can do about it until I can work up some more coinage! A new non-oring chain may be in the budget for next spring...

Status
Not open for further replies.