What car to build?

01blaster_freak

May 11, 2007
Well i'm gonna build a street racer an i need some ideas on what kinda car to build into one? I'm really lookin at gettin a eclipse i like how they look with the body kits an wings an rims, an i like the body kits they have to offer (the style) i've done priced out the body kits an wings an turbo kit for the eclipse, but i figured i would ask you all what kinda car you think i should build into one.

Now the idea is to keep the car street legal an good gas milage nothin under 20MPG an i belive the eclipse gets 38MPG highway miles. an it wouldn't take it down much if i added a turbo.

Let me know what you think.

Oh yea i'm also gonna put lambo doors on it.

I will check an see, i would love to have turbo witht he blow off valve where you hear it everytime you let off the gas to shift.

Nissan 240SX, RWD, drop in a SR20DE-T Engine rolling twin turboes with a full kit and a 6-speed gear slammer, nothing will touch you as long as you do ALL the mods, dont skimp

and another thing, vented blow off valves are VERY bad news for street cars, they release the intake charge there for making your kar rich between shifts, thats why most kids who have them spit plugs all the time, and thats also why pistons crown or valves burn, if you have a blowoff valve make it a return style, you kan find the info online im sure, and there is a way to do it so you kan still get that sound

Nissan 240SX, RWD, drop in a SR20DE-T Engine rolling twin turboes with a full kit and a 6-speed gear slammer, nothing will touch you as long as you do ALL the mods, dont skimp

and another thing, vented blow off valves are VERY bad news for street cars, they release the intake charge there for making your kar rich between shifts, thats why most kids who have them spit plugs all the time, and thats also why pistons crown or valves burn, if you have a blowoff valve make it a return style, you kan find the info online im sure, and there is a way to do it so you kan still get that sound

My buddy has a 240sx that originally had a 2.2 liter. He pulled that out and put a 2.0 liter turbo in it. Upgraded the brakes, put coil overs in. New rims and tires. He uses it for drift compititions. I think its a sweet car. Cheap to build too.

now you guys are talking about things I know well...I have been racing,building, working on import cars for years. Ill start with what you said about eclipse. 1st gen 89-94 best platform they ever made. The engines used larger turbos and the ports in the motors were larger creating more power from the getgo. The only downfall was the materials used to make the pistons werent that good. Technology got alot better over the years. 2nd gen 94-99 got better styling but the motors got weaker. Still not a bad car by anymeans. better materials used on the internal parts. GSX is the way to go with either of those because they are turbo AWD from the start. GS-T are Turbo front wheel drive. GS and RS are worthless. Same engine used in the dodge neon. onto the next.
240 sx:
Awesome car if you got money to spend on the motor. JLSparky was close. But all 240sx came with the KA24 motor. The earlier 89-90 came with the KA24D which was single over head cam. In 91 they switched to the KA24DE which is a Dual overhead cam. The later of the two people have turboed and turned into pretty decent motors but takes alot of money. Cochise had the right idea with the SR20DET. They have the s13 redtop, s13 blacktop, s14, s15. THose are in oldest to newest order. All of those motors are 200+ horsepower from the start. But like I said earlier it cost some money for any of those.
Now what cochise said about blow off valves is very untrue. Not trying to be a ballbuster by anymeans, and if I ever stated anything wrong I would hope somebody would correct me so I learn more info about things. But the blow off valves sole purpose in life is to release all pressure between the throttle body and the turbo. What it does is it releases the back pressure in the system when you let off the gas instead of slamming it back into the turbo. You have to look at the turbo if it was a fan. The impeller is spinning a certain way so the air is pushed out in one direction. If it was spinning and all of a sudden a large burst of air was forced at it the other way it cause alot of damage. Now the damage wont happen instantly but it will mess up the bearings in a turbo over time and cause an unecessary rebuild. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions please post them up. Also please dont become a ricer. They way you were talking about what you want in your first post sounds like you were on your way.

Lol. I say get an old muscle car. Probly not many bodykits if any but muscle cars look gay with body kits anyway.

Don't become a ricer? Lol nah man but i'm gonna build a import, just trying to get some ideas on what people think is the best car, how much HP does the stock eclipse come with? Another question do i want more lbs of boost or less? so would it better to have 7lbs of boost or 14lbs of boost?

What about a 1998 GS with a turbo kit? I'm not looking to go full blown street racing i wanna keep it as a daily driver back an forth to work an keep it good on gas. most my money will be on the looks an part of it will go to the engine, for the motor all i was thinkin is a turbo kit, cam, an cat back exhaust. Maybe porting in the future.

the info on blowoff valves i posted came from a trusting source, anyone ever watched Tricked Out on DIY? That man knows everything, but after seeing that and hearing it on the TV i decided to do some research and i found some very very VERY interesting EGA readouts along with some engine mapping readouts, i wish i kould remember where i found them so i wouldnt look so blindsided right now, but oh well

cochise like i said in my other post...im not trying to doubt what you say. I pretty sure what your saying is true too...but on a car like that with any mod you have to modify the ecu. tuning is crucial for performance on a car just like a quad.
to answer the question about boost i think a stock eclipse turbo is either 14 or 16 lbs...its up there. you can run 40 lbs as long as you build the motor right and still drive it everyday.

hmmm this is my type of post...well i'm getting a 1999 honda civic and butting a b18c engine swap turbo but it depends how much ur trying to spend cus buyin a car and leaving stock engine in it unless its an evo or somthing is stupied you gain nothing i would say for 10k+car get a
2000 or up honda civic k20 engine swap (Front wheel drive) if u want rear wheel drive get a f20 swap turbo kit or supercharger, body kits...if u want headers...

What comes in 98 eclipse GS? a 420A i belive i was going to put a turbo on it an have 8lbs of boost. 8lbs is about the safest without changing your pistons an connecting rods right?

I wouldnt waste the money on a GS spend a little extra and get the GSX or atleast the GS-T then its already turbo charged. Theres a website called Mach V performance...they have a 300 and 400 hp guide and tell you step by step how to achieve both on an eclipse.

Im also with Tigga..I have always owned and built hondas myself. But I have love for all imports

yea I wouldn't f*ck with a eclipse cus its already a sporty car if ur trying to get a sporty car get a 350z comes with turbo all u really need to do is get handling cus it doesn't get grip when u drag it of a line so yea I:I