Introduction and YZ250 swap

Bike motors don't have counter balancers, to save weight and complexity. They also usually aren't ridden for as long of periods. Plus my theroy is the suspension being inline with the crank absorbs more vibes.

I know a 250r has a balancer, don't know about Zuki or Kawis, 3 or 4 wheelers.

Personally I think a KTM 300in a Blaster would be killer.
A 400ex would be sweet too !!
Does a ktm 300 have a balancer?

Hey all, desert season is here and I've got the quad finished up (well, 99% of it anyways).

Took some lessons from last year riding it and made some changes. I reworked the radiator mount, brought it higher up and closer in, and ditched the heavy steel guard I made. It'll be getting a light honeycomb cover circle track racers use.

I put a +4 swingarm in it with a banshee axle. I wasn't ready to put on hydros so I modified the caliper to float so it'll work with the new axle/brake hub. I also added some gussets to the frame below the front engine mounts.

I need some new dirt tires for it, and my new pod air filter to come in, but aside from that this thing is done.

I'll try and get all the pics posted here updated, not sure why most of them died.

2xCdh92.jpg

8L60IAp.jpg

c9Z92QM.jpg

QOkVxGa.jpg

Do a search on "frame gussets" there's other places that could (and should) be gusseted.

I'm not much of a structural engineer but I'm not sure where else sees much stress? The rear is already stout for the swingarm, the bottom mount is a full width C channel bar with vertical tabs, and the front mounts have 2"x1/8th" plate gussets down to the lower frame rail.

Bit of an update for you all..

Quad is running like a boss. On a recent trip I actually broke the front radiator off, decided that wasn't a good fit on the quad and grabbed a set of original radiators and grills. Shoehorned them under the front fenders, somehow. Haven't had any issues with that since. I do need a hood now that the radiator is gone. Someone wanna sell me one?

Got some new rubber as well as upgraded the rear hubs to banshee/raptor 660 hubs to get that sweet common 4/115 bolt pattern.

Got a desert trip planned again in the next couple weeks so I'll grab some gopro footage for you all. It's a ripper.
20190310_000016.jpg
20190310_000029.jpg

At the time of this post the quad is functionally finished! I went over to Abla (They're local to me) and got a +3 +1 A-Arm kit for it. That widening kit was beating me up bad.

Since the last post I added along with the front end a head stay mount to hopefully help spread some of the vibrations to the rest of the frame. It's single sided since the fuel tank extends lower on the right side, but it's very strong.

20190513_144539.jpg
20190513_144550.jpg
20190513_144608.jpg
20190513_144849.jpg
20190513_145107.jpg
20190513_145147.jpg
20190513_145200.jpg

Total mod/parts list:

• TSS +4 Swingarm
  • Banshee axle
  • Raptor 660 rear hubs
  • Raptor 660 Front Bumper
  • Floating caliper mod for banshee axle swap
  • Alba +3 width +1 forward A-arms
  • Honda 400ex rear shock
  • Honda 400ex front shocks
  • Frame gussets
  • 45 Watt Stator from regulatorrectifier.com
  • 1998 YZ250 factory radiators
  • 2x HPS stainless T-Bolt clamps for a HPS high temp silicone exhaust coupler

Overall, I love this quad. It weighs nothing, it's fast, and being 2 stroke it's easy to fix. If I were to do anything more to this, it would be to upgrade the engine to a newer year so I have access to the 300 big bore kits.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvsBlaster
Bike motors don't have counter balancers, to save weight and complexity. They also usually aren't ridden for as long of periods. Plus my theroy is the suspension being inline with the crank absorbs more vibes.

I know a 250r has a balancer, don't know about Zuki or Kawis, 3 or 4 wheelers.

Personally I think a KTM 300in a Blaster would be killer.
A 400ex would be sweet too !!

I’m getting my rolling blaster frame this Saturday and will begin my 300 exc swap so there will be some pics and hopefully excitement soon

Hey all, desert season is here and I've got the quad finished up (well, 99% of it anyways).

Took some lessons from last year riding it and made some changes. I reworked the radiator mount, brought it higher up and closer in, and ditched the heavy steel guard I made. It'll be getting a light honeycomb cover circle track racers use.

I put a +4 swingarm in it with a banshee axle. I wasn't ready to put on hydros so I modified the caliper to float so it'll work with the new axle/brake hub. I also added some gussets to the frame below the front engine mounts.

I need some new dirt tires for it, and my new pod air filter to come in, but aside from that this thing is done.

I'll try and get all the pics posted here updated, not sure why most of them died.

2xCdh92.jpg

8L60IAp.jpg

c9Z92QM.jpg

QOkVxGa.jpg
How well do those radiators hold up after bumps my yz250 blaster keeps breaking the radiator support. I have mine set up slightly different, I used a radiator off a ninja 300 and put it under the gas tank.

At the time of this post the quad is functionally finished! I went over to Abla (They're local to me) and got a +3 +1 A-Arm kit for it. That widening kit was beating me up bad.

Since the last post I added along with the front end a head stay mount to hopefully help spread some of the vibrations to the rest of the frame. It's single sided since the fuel tank extends lower on the right side, but it's very strong.

View attachment 33673 View attachment 33674 View attachment 33675 View attachment 33676 View attachment 33677 View attachment 33678 View attachment 33679

Total mod/parts list:

• TSS +4 Swingarm
  • Banshee axle
  • Raptor 660 rear hubs
  • Raptor 660 Front Bumper
  • Floating caliper mod for banshee axle swap
  • Alba +3 width +1 forward A-arms
  • Honda 400ex rear shock
  • Honda 400ex front shocks
  • Frame gussets
  • 45 Watt Stator from regulatorrectifier.com
  • 1998 YZ250 factory radiators
  • 2x HPS stainless T-Bolt clamps for a HPS high temp silicone exhaust coupler

Overall, I love this quad. It weighs nothing, it's fast, and being 2 stroke it's easy to fix. If I were to do anything more to this, it would be to upgrade the engine to a newer year so I have access to the 300 big bore kits.
Hey buddy that’s one really nice looking setup.. was wondering what’s your sprocket sizes? Are you using the stock 40T rear? Thanks.