what a milled head has done for me

blaster199

TT/Flat Track Racer
Nov 30, 2008
missouri
this first bike is my dads the second bike is mine both of our bikes screwed the topend after putting a milled head on

Picture018.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture029.jpg

now my bike nothing like my dads but my milled head is now for sale if anyone wants it lol

Picture020.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture028.jpg

did you run race gas with the head??

because if there milled more that like .35 thats your prob...

i work on all types of 2 strokes and honestly they look like they got VERY hot. this can be caused by running the wrong type of gas but most of the time is caused by running lean. did they tell you how much was milled off?

on mine i ran a vp race fuel and it was suppost to be to where you can run pump gas but no my dad did not but yes i ran vp race fuel and the spark plug looks perfect on mine just the right color you want

yea yours just looks like it got hot some how....but idk how. your dads on the other hand looks like it got really hot and the piston melted broke off pieces and slammed into the head. the same thing was wrong with mine when i bought it and head wasnt even milled.

if the head is not cut right and or the wrong fuel is used ,thats the result-detonation

we went to little sahara in ok. it was well worth the trip i dont know what size of jet but he was running rich

damn they look badd.. that fist pic looks like she ran lean and or had detonation.. from the looks of it they were cut past .030 but hard to tell..

if it was me i would of mounted the head and did a compression test to see where i was at cause, if you needed to run 100+ and you only ran 93 then there you prob why they ran lean...

we didnt do a test cause at the time we didnt know that if you mill off so much you have to run a race fuel on my dads it ever has a leak it quit when we were way out in the sand and it had ro start do we could get back to camp so we kicked till all our legs were tired to get it running so we could get back to camp we were miles away that might be the reason his is worse and he was not running a race fuel

You can get away with milling much more than .030" off the stock head, but it requires chamber work. If they simply milled it down too far and didn't rework the chamber your resulting compression would be to high and cause massive heat and detonation for sure.