Simple question about reeds

Fast6hand

Oct 10, 2013
West Palm Beach
Pulled cage today to look at reeds. They are stock. One on each side had a slight gap, under a 1/16th. Was starting fine. Not tethered or cracking. Should I just try and flip them or replace them? Thanks

A reed spacer will affect where the power comes on the pipe.

Between reeds and jug down lower, reeds and carb, up the rev range.

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea running it between jug and reeds. Considering my LRD pipe is for top end. Might even out the power? No, what you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can adjust the LRD pipe to be for more low end power. When i had mine halfway, it was a beast in the low. Do you have the pipe sealed properly?

You can adjust the LRD pipe to be for more low end power. When i had mine halfway, it was a beast in the low. Do you have the pipe sealed properly?

Mine isn't adjustable. Lastnight I cleaned the old gasket off the intake, replaced the silencer, and put RTV copper gasket maker on all transitions. Expansion chamber to jug, and between the silencer and chamber. Also on the end of the silencer after I repacked it. Haven't ran it yet but shouldn't have a leak. I was just curious about the spacers because I pretty much have the whole bike apart, so why not. If not much is to be gained then whatever.

If you are removing the reed block it is advisable to leak test after re-assembly to see if it is air tight.

Most leaks occur after fitting of reeds and spacer blocks!

If you are removing the reed block it is advisable to leak test after re-assembly to see if it is air tight.

Most leaks occur after fitting of reeds and spacer blocks!
Yea just an update....found a leak on stator side crankcase seal. Took the case off to check it without it on and couldn't even build pressure. I think I have a bad main crank seal. So I ordered the puller. Gonna replace both and probably all of them on the bottom end. It's been fun digging deeper and deeper.