Rebuilding.... again

Mert

Mar 16, 2008
Kentucky
So... about a 2 years ago I almost got to the top of a really steep hill, then my wore out tires spun, then hooked and wheelied, and up and over comes the bike then rolls down the hill with me not too far behind. Crash can be viewed at 2:13.

Bent a lot of stuff. Handlebars, steering stem upper right a arm, spindle, brake rotor, and of course my frame.

I had just got a CRF450R supermoto so I lost interest in blastering and it sat.

About a year after that I get the urge to fix it. My friend has a history of destroying blasters so he has a few frames with bent subframes sitting around, and I'm a jew, so I cut the subframe off my bike and welded it onto a straight front half of one of his old frames, and add a few more reinforcements to the frame. Between me and my friend we've figured out every weak spot on a blaster frame. This one should be pretty indestructible, it has gussets everywhere. Be prepared for a lot of pictures.
gqqnQLg.jpg

vQGIq1a.jpg

mjaxi83.jpg

1V3IqJX.jpg

GZWbdUm.jpg

TdJS1qn.jpg

yaUMhOc.jpg

bpeDIdp.jpg

jSha6DW.jpg

Here is where my last frame bent, so..... MORE GUSSETS!!!!!!!!!!!
vzfrlwB.jpg

KIp9tvE.jpg

Y3WJMiY.jpg

cgGHzOp.jpg

xk7q8i9.jpg

Bent sh*t
GKqIhZX.jpg

After fixing the frame I decide i should have a look inside the engine, because I've been thrashing the same top end for about 5 years at this point. I don't know how it hadn't eaten the rings yet, the exhaust port was wallered out so bad I had to bore 2 sizes over. I was broke at the time and had my supermoto to keep me happy so the project went back into storage for another year.

Fast forward to now and I've got a new 73 mm wossner piston, got my shiz bored, got some new boyesen pro series carbon fiber reeds. (had some before, but I drowned my blaster more times than I can remember, and the backfires while drying it out finally destroyed them)

User Bluesman sold me a set of 03+ spindles and rotors, so I can ditch my home made caliper mounts.

Also got some banshee hubs and rims from a raptor 350, just so I can get some itp gncc tires. They only come in 9" rims.

Should have everything this week.

Can't wait to have my blaster running like new again. It was way down on power; a 400ex beat me :(

Last edited:
nice save on the frame !
tuned in for the rest of the rebuild

im going to tell you right now, you dont want aluminum sprockets unless you plan to race and change them every few races.
My brother wore his out in less than a year, and with it wore the chain

went out to my previous place of employment and grabbed my head and bottom end. Those people are awesome, they still let me keep stuff in the warehouse, and I haven't worked there in 3 months.

It says its for a 4mm stroker, but this was made for some guy that was using a strange spacer/gasket combo. I need to measure my head and base gasket, but if my memory serves me right (which it is known to not do), it should be a .032 head and a .040 base for my application. I only have a 3mm stroker.

Also realized i need a new rubber boot for my intake, dry rotten.

sMk5SPb.jpg

Got more parts. New bars, axle bearings and seals, a new x-ring chain, and tires
yVyh8kK.jpg

got the tires mounted
BEPnPTj.jpg

took the carrier off and the axle is nice and rusty, doesn't want to budge, gonna take it out to the machine shop tomorrow and either press it out or find a really big hammer.
fWcQ8C0.jpg

sdAmmuH.jpg

also got my spindles and hubs and calipers
DcsbA48.jpg

Took my axle out to the machine shop I used to work at. First I tried setting up my axle in the press, but I didn't feel safe doing it like this.
kKzSOVx.jpg

So... I got a big hammer, a vice, and a little piece of aluminum and beat the hell out of it for about half an hour.
R0HK0Hz.jpg

HRe0cKd.jpg

Then I found a piece of bronze pipe and threw it in the lathe and made it square on both ends to press the bearing in with
FySePVd.jpg

Then used the mill to press everything together.
KiiYfgs.jpg

re-installed with new hubs and tires
WTtZlWd.jpg

at this point I figured out that I need a 03+ lower a arm for my right side, I had all 03+ a arms before it flipped down the hill.

no, that hammer has been like that for well over a year. But one time my punch slid off the bearing and the wrist of my hand holding said punch was thrust into the lip of the carrier. Many curses were said.

and I'll try that out motorman, one side looks good, but when I first got it it still had stickers on one side, and it had been sitting in the sun for a while. I peeled it off and years later it turns black where the stickers were.

I ordered some alba racing +1.5" a arms and they arrived yesterday. Took the old ones off and was about to install the new ones when I realized they don't have any grease zurts on them :mad:. So hopefully today after work I will be able to go to the machine shop and drill and tap some holes for them.
89XcMRO.jpg

Worked on the a arms today, you can see the progress here
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/alba-racing-a-ams.60077/
Then I was expecting my brother to show up around 5-6 pm with a torch so I could anneal my gaskets and throw my top end together. He finally shows up at 9:30 pm, and I get my gaskets annealed and tell him to gtfo because I could have had my engine in my blaster by then if he'd shown up when he said he would.

Also forgot to mention that I have a blue IMS 4 gallon tank and a blue 03 hood I'm going to be using. Also looking at raptor 700 rear plastics now.

qnesyEN.jpg

gaskets post annealing and steel wooling

Last edited:
got the engine together and went by the plumbing supply store and built a leak down tester, confused the hell out of the guy in the store.
SfF2A0C.jpg

TB2k9KB.jpg

PuhoDpC.jpg

6HMpKMX.jpg