Playin in the sand

ok I see, your target here. Looking for bottom and mid instead of high rpm power has its merits, such as riding in sand. one thing that is a bonus with the dropped cylinder is that your effective cylinder volume is larger which should give you better compression? I wonder if adjusting the ignition timing has a role to play in optimizing combustion with a larger compression volume? but which way!?

By the way, I wasnt saying I think you are rich and lucky you woe is me sort of thing, I was meaning mainly time. these things take lots of it and its a process. Life and learn! Its good that you are actively persueing the experiments and not just looking in hindsight when things go wrong

ok I see, your target here. Looking for bottom and mid instead of high rpm power has its merits, such as riding in sand. one thing that is a bonus with the dropped cylinder is that your effective cylinder volume is larger which should give you better compression? I wonder if adjusting the ignition timing has a role to play in optimizing combustion with a larger compression volume? but which way!?

By the way, I wasnt saying I think you are rich and lucky you woe is me sort of thing, I was meaning mainly time. these things take lots of it and its a process. Life and learn! Its good that you are actively persueing the experiments and not just looking in hindsight when things go wrong

EXACTLY!
Bottom and mid for riding in sand. (which keeps this from being a thread hijack!)
Our favourite test spot is a huge sand pit and hill and this motor works wonderful in it.
This motor is like a trials bike engine, which has its place if you need that power characteristic.
As rpm drop the torque increases. "Grunts" through sand and up hills with ease in 3rd.
The 32hp DT200 would climb hills too but you had to keep it "on the pipe", right in the powerband.
This motor is easy. Put it in 3rd and it does everything!

Nothing comes for free however. This motor just does not make 30hp. It falls flat on top end.
While it will easily carry 6th gear on sand, only to mid-range. Won't rev out and scream like the DT200.
We will need more rpm, higher ports to do that, raising the cylinder. It goes in a circle, doesn't it?

The DT200 engine would rip along in the sand on sheer power if you kept the revs up.
Didn't take a lot of that before it started to get hot. You had to be in the right gear at all times, plus
because of the jump from 5th to 6th, it had trouble getting into 6th unless you red-lined it in 5th,
and even then it would kinda bog in 6th. Really needed lower sprockets, whereas this motor needs higher.

You are right, effective cylinder volume and compression are increased, big part of the power increase.
Would be a much larger part if the pipe tuning were matched to the lower rpm of the new port position.
Ignition timing is more about fighting detonation and keeping the pipe warm.
Advancing it makes more torque in the low and mid-range, retarding it keeps the pipe hot and rpm high.
Larger volume, more compression would be more prone to detonation, perhaps less advance called for.
Son has had no detonation, so next step is shaving the head another 0.020" (0.5mm).
Will do it with a file, 10" hand bastard, affordable machining!
If it detonates, we have learned something. We slip a base gasket under it and feel what a 0.020"
port lift does.

Hmmm, not enough time to do everything is there? Weather is bad for riding here, 2" snow.
Too much snow for wheels, not enough for skis, time to work in the garage.
I have my Blaster torn apart, leveling the carb and better air cleaner.
You are right, live and learn. That is what it is all about.
That is what I like about this place, that is what most of the guys here are all about.
If there is anything useful in anything I post, it is payback for all the information I have gleaned
from the rest of you folks here on Blaster Forum. Thanks.

chugging with lots of torque at low RPM is kinda not with the spirit of 2 strokes though is it? I appreciate what you are trying to do and its very interesting to know that you can get them to behave as such but it sort of is trying to make it behave like a 4 stroke which is why a lot of people ride 2 stroke...for the glee of ripping ontop of the power blasting over terrain at high RPM, its kind of what owing a 2 stroke is all about, if the gear doesnt work kick it down one and let rip! But I understand perfectly well that you are merely trying different things and are looking for the most suitable setup for your riding style :)

I dont think the "perfect" motor is achieveable, with the bottom end torque and the high end kick all in one. The only way to TRY and get this right is via methods like Honda and Toyota use on their cars with the Variable valve timing Etc. Also sort of what a Powervalve attempts to do.

The only real answer to that sort of motor is a turbo!

Glad to see not only experimentation, but detailed specs and results. And you might be exactly right about it being designed for a stroker (tho accidentally 8-|), let's just say it lends itself well to a stroker. What pipe are you running on this set-up? Looking forward to Blaner's info.

Kind of apples and oranges, but still 2s. I'm replacing a smoked 4mil in my son's (Larry) shee. Stock ex timing is 180-180.5. With 4mil the timing advaces to 186-188* open on unported stock cyl. So you see a little is a lot, in relation to timing. I didn't have a base spacer to see what that did to timing, but I know it would bring it into the "drag only" area. BTW, This set-up uses a 2mm solid copper head gasket/spacer. The "kit" he got came with a multi layer 2mm gasket but we didn't have any problems with the existing so why change.

Larry didn't want me to port the shee, said I made the Blaster too "peaky", I think it was more that it "breaths" better allowing the Fat Bastard to "work" better. The ex was raised about 1mm to clean up a lip at the sleeve to port that I didn't like. BTW, ex measures 32-32.5mm/1 1/4-1 5/16 from top, can anyone measure an unported stock cyl? Sorry if I threadjacked a little :D.

Thing to realize is Best is shooting for most useable power I:I as opposed to most power 8-| , a lot of difference between the two :D