Oldsmobile Cutlass 442

blasterdude14

Apr 28, 2009
ohio
what do you think of these? looks to be a 1985 or somewhere in the 80's
i was at my uncles a couple of days ago and he has one of these sitting in his yard and at first i didnt really pay much attention but then i just kinda snapped my head back towards it and was like its awesome lol. my dad told me the 442's were big blocks and got sh*t gas mileage he told me about 13 on the highway is he right? its a fix up car right now im not sure if it even runs. if the gas mileage isnt too bad id like to buy it off of him. its kinda rusty on the rims and bumper but that can be cleaned up with steel wool and a wire brush so im not worried about that. i looked at the roof of it and for some reason the paint job looks like its an inch above the actual roof idk y? the interior is nice except where the shifter should be there is a big rusty plate type of thing with a metal stick coming out of it. i havent looked at the rest yet but im hoping the frame is in good condition and i gotta ask him about the motor. but it would be a nice restore and would be an awesome muscle car

I may be mistaken but I don't think they made a 442 model in the 80's. They had small blocks in them.

my stepdad had an 85 or 86 442 way back in the day an he said the 442 is 4 barrel carb 4 speed an dual exhaust but he might be full of sh*t its hard tellin with him if its in good shape i would try an fix it up it gonna be an antique soon if its not already an look at what the clasics are gonna look like soon the newer tauruses an impalas arent my idea of clasic car so anything before them will be unbelieveable to your grandkids not to mention i like the 80s cutlass, monte, an regal style

hmm got my info mixed up the 80's 442's had a 305 v8 and were based off the cutlass...
and just so everyone knows 4-4-2 stands for (in 1964) 4 barrel 4speed on the floor and dual exhaust
(in 1965 with an auto) 400 cubic inches 4barrel dual exhaust...
any other year of 442 doesnt mean a thing cause in 1966 the base motor had a 2barrel carb witha auto

if you get the hurst olds 442 it DOES make a diffrence a friend had one an theres 3 shifters on the floor with a 350 it wasnt just a cutlas with the 442 stickers it had sh*t loads of power

thanks for the info. i want to get it simple because you dont really see to many cutlass's on the road especially the 442

so its a G body cutlass? there are a TON of them around... the hurst was the only special one. even then it wasn't "fast" by any means.. a smogger 350 is nothing to write home about.. maybe 225hp.. MAYBE..

now a cutlass 442 from the 60's... thats a cool car..

Wow. Some major misinformation going on here. The 1980's 442 was a LAMEASS. It did not have the 305, it had the Olds 307, which is actually worse. The 442 had ZERO performance enhancements. It was basically a cutlass with some badging. The 80's Hurst/olds were marginally better, decals, stock olds 307, and they had the Lightning Rod shifters. That is the 3 shifters that was mentioned. If you were going to "race", from a dead stop, you pulled all three shifters back towards you, then you took off and smacked the first rod forward when you wanted to shift to 2nd, smacked the next lever when you wanted to shift to 3rd. These cars were not fast. They were somewhat sporty, but a stock 5.0 mustang or 305 camaro would stomp its ass.

i know they arent exactly fast the 1985 442 only had 180hp but i like it and their has to be some sort of aftermarket following seeing as how its esentially the same as the buick grand national and the old monte carlo ss just less power stock. i like the look of it and with some work they could run very nice. and its obvious a camaro, mustang, or corvette would smoke it. i dont care

There is next to nothing you can do for the olds 307. It's pretty much a boat anchor. Best bet would be find a different set of engine mounts and put a smallblock chevy in it for starters. If you look at the car, get underneath and check the front and rear framerails. The G-bodys are notorious for having the framerails rotting and the bumpers sagging and/or falling off.

oh yeah, you may have to swap the tranny too. The buicks, olds and pontiacs usually used the th200 transmission, which not only is sucky , but may or may not bolt to a chevy, depending on if the bellhousing has dual bolt pattern. some did, others didn't.

Reactions: calcium12
VMAX ,
small block chevy? why??? There is a TON of aftermarket parts that you can buy for oldsmobiles. Yeah , 307's aren't much but there is several olds motors that would totally out do chevy's. For instance. I had an 81' chevy c10 with a 455 in it , bored .040 over. It was bad a$$. My brother had n 83 iroc Z-28 camaro and he put a 350 olds in it. It wasn't stock either! Mondello Performance Products, Inc. - Oldsmobile - (805) 237-8808 sells a BUNCH of olds parts. And , they have a bunch of really awesome parts. such as fuel injection for those old motors. That is , if you have a bunch of $$$$$$$$$ to afford one. Now , if you really want a motor that would leave you hanging on for dear life. I suggest a 403 olds motor. The pistons are bigger than a 455. Don't believe me? Take one apart and find out for yourself. I know a lot about oldsmobiles. and I mean A LOT. And , if I had the money , I'd buy a 1969 cutlass 4-4-2 which had a 455 olds. My uncle had one. It shaked at idle. and yeah , I am totally serious. I have a picture of the 69' actually........ Any ways , I'd say buy it........ I'd also check the VIN #'s to see what motor it actually is..............

thanks for the info vmax but i did just find some performance exhaust systems for it. if i get the cutlass im only looking to get it somewhere in the 200 and above horsepower range which a new exhaust and a K&N airfilter should get me somewhere in that range. and if i get really into it i might get a hot cam setup

VMAX ,
small block chevy? why??? There is a TON of aftermarket parts that you can buy for oldsmobiles. Yeah , 307's aren't much but there is several olds motors that would totally out do chevy's. For instance. I had an 81' chevy c10 with a 455 in it , bored .040 over. It was bad a$$. My brother had n 83 iroc Z-28 camaro and he put a 350 olds in it. It wasn't stock either! Mondello Performance Products, Inc. - Oldsmobile - (805) 237-8808 sells a BUNCH of olds parts. And , they have a bunch of really awesome parts. such as fuel injection for those old motors. That is , if you have a bunch of $$$$$$$$$ to afford one. Now , if you really want a motor that would leave you hanging on for dear life. I suggest a 403 olds motor. The pistons are bigger than a 455. Don't believe me? Take one apart and find out for yourself. I know a lot about oldsmobiles. and I mean A LOT. And , if I had the money , I'd buy a 1969 cutlass 4-4-2 which had a 455 olds. My uncle had one. It shaked at idle. and yeah , I am totally serious. I have a picture of the 69' actually........ Any ways , I'd say buy it........ I'd also check the VIN #'s to see what motor it actually is..............

dude thats some Awesome info thanks for the link ill check it out.

no problem blasterdude14 ,
I'm actually a girl lol..... but you can call me a dude , it's cool. I know a lot about oldsmobile as my grandpa has been a mechanic for 50+++ years. He teaches me everything. I'd mess with a 403 small block olds. they are really something. 455's are great too but , from a dead stop that Small block is going to get up and go faster than that big block.... if u need any help let me know!

Reactions: calcium12
VMAX ,

Well, I understand you have accumulated tons of information in your long 15 years, I hope I have learned a bit more in my 36.

1) You will spend twice as much on an olds 307 or 403 as you would a 305 or 350 chevy, and have less performance. I've had several 403s in pontiac trans ams, and they make UNDER 200 hp stock. They run comparable to a smog 350, the difference is, the 350 can be upgraded to make a LOT more power. The block on the 403 cannot, due to the block webbing, which I am sure you already know. They make decent torque, stock, but they are not a serious performer.

2) the 350 olds and 455 olds are nothing like the 307. The 307 was an economy smog minded engine made in the 70's and 80s. There is very little you can do to get any performance out of it.

no problem blasterdude14 ,
I'm actually a girl lol..... but you can call me a dude , it's cool. I know a lot about oldsmobile as my grandpa has been a mechanic for 50+++ years. He teaches me everything. I'd mess with a 403 small block olds. they are really something. 455's are great too but , from a dead stop that Small block is going to get up and go faster than that big block.... if u need any help let me know!

no problem if i get it off my uncle ill be sure to ask you for some help