Oil injection Line came off ?

turbobird

Jan 5, 2012
First Hello Guys,
Took the 05 bike out for a test spin after I installed a 300 jet, bike has a open air box, toomy pipe, 4 degree advanced. Ok heres the problem engine started running slower like something was binding. DUH!!! Got it back in the garage and started going though stuff and noticed the oil line was not on the carb. I pushed it back on kept my fingers x and it started ran with no binding and everything seems to be ok, Not smoking or anything.

Whats everyones opinion?
Run it and see how things go, keep a eye on it see if it starts to smoke?
Tear it down ring it bore it?
Thanks

First Hello Guys,
Took the 05 bike out for a test spin after I installed a 300 jet, bike has a open air box, toomy pipe, 4 degree advanced. Ok heres the problem engine started running slower like something was binding. DUH!!! Got it back in the garage and started going though stuff and noticed the oil line was not on the carb. I pushed it back on kept my fingers x and it started ran with no binding and everything seems to be ok, Not smoking or anything.

Whats everyones opinion?
Run it and see how things go, keep a eye on it see if it starts to smoke?
Tear it down ring it bore it?
Thanks

How long were ya riding it like that?

Quick compression test will tell, but put a teaspoon of oil in the plug hole first!

i agree, do a compression test, what was the compression before riding it ???
so you can compare before and after readings
i'm gonna guess the "no oil" situation did do some damage, how much ???
if ya have the money for a set of gaskets at least, base and head, i'd pull it for an
inspection
if not....it's russian roulette

Thanks for the replys,

Was riding it for maybe 15 min tops just a quick ride zipping thru the neighborhood.

Don't know the compression before riding, Im sure it was normal. The bike don't have many hours on it.

I'll do a compression test, if that don't pan out guess i'll tear into it.

Thanks

Thanks for the replys,

Was riding it for maybe 15 min tops just a quick ride zipping thru the neighborhood.

Don't know the compression before riding, Im sure it was normal. The bike don't have many hours on it.

I'll do a compression test, if that don't pan out guess i'll tear into it.

Thanks

15 minutes of straight gas, YIKES :eek: .
A compression test will tell the tale! Maybe ya got lucky??

Premix -FWIW!

If it does pan out and the compression is good, pull the pipe off and look to see if there is any signs of scuffing or damage to the piston or jug.

If all looks ok, and it is startable, pull the reeds out and put a little oil into the crankcase.

There should be at least 1/8in of oil in the case so that the crank dips in and throws oil around.

It is not sufficent to just start it up as the oil in the pre mix will not lubricate sufficently, and it takes some time for enough oil to come out of suspension to lubricate the piston and bearings.

Pre mix offers no lubrication qualities at all, no matter what ratio you use.

If it does pan out and the compression is good, pull the pipe off and look to see if there is any signs of scuffing or damage to the piston or jug.

If all looks ok, and it is startable, pull the reeds out and put a little oil into the crankcase.

There should be at least 1/8in of oil in the case so that the crank dips in and throws oil around.

It is not sufficent to just start it up as the oil in the pre mix will not lubricate sufficently, and it takes some time for enough oil to come out of suspension to lubricate the piston and bearings.

Pre mix offers no lubrication qualities at all, no matter what ratio you use.

HMMM interesting, I have never put oil in my fresh rebuilds before I fired it up to do heat cycles. But i do think a tablespoon or so in there couldn't hurt!

HMMM interesting, I have never put oil in my fresh rebuilds before I fired it up to do heat cycles. But i do think a tablespoon or so in there couldn't hurt!

Little or no lubrication will happen until oil comes out of suspension and pools in the case.

Lubrication is provided by the moving parts splashing oil around everywhere.

Until the crank dips into a pool of oil in the crankcase the motor will rely on the oil used in assembly.

When I get my engine back do you think I should put a teaspoon of oil in? Just thought I'll ask while on topic. Its a full rebuild bottom and top.

When I get my engine back do you think I should put a teaspoon of oil in? Just thought I'll ask while on topic. Its a full rebuild bottom and top.

It is a good idea to put some oil in the crankcase, ask your builder if he has done so.
Most good builders will use a lot of oil in assembly, but if it is to be shipped they may not.

There should enough oil in the case to allow the crank to dip in and toss it around.