New from the south

Lanceam24

Jul 23, 2012
Well I've been on here for a couple weeks just lurking asking questions to try and get my blaster running. Rebuilt the engine with new crank bearings and a new top end. It runs great now but won't idle, so I guess I'll have to do a leak down test real soon

My other toys include:
2003 Honda cbr 954
2004 Yamaha r6(gfs)
2002 Yamaha yz250f
2000 yz125
2000 ttr125(gfs)
199* Yamaha timberwolf
2000 Kawasaki ke100

And a couple more, stay tuned for pics of my blaster work in progress

Haddent done much so far. Split the cases, changed bearings, buttoned it back up, threw some oil and gas in it, fired it up and rode til the inside of my thighs were red

leakdown before you even think of riding it more or you will be rebuilding it again!! and i learned how to set the idle from blaaster:
1: get airscrew so its 1.5 turns out from all the way in
2: start with idle screw all the way out
3: turn in idle screw 1/3 turn at a time giving engine 10 seconds to resond until its at its highest idle
4: turn air screw either in or out to get highest idle
5: set idle for desired idle.
6:done

Down in Hammond/Baton Rouge Louisiana...

I should probably just buy the leak down tester frm the member here but I'm impatient (gets me into trouble with this type of thing) so I'm gonna go make one. Got lowes and some smaller hardware shops out here.

Here's a pic of the rescued blaster:
c5151158.jpg

leakdown before you even think of riding it more or you will be rebuilding it again!! and i learned how to set the idle from blaaster:
1: get airscrew so its 1.5 turns out from all the way in
2: start with idle screw all the way out
3: turn in idle screw 1/3 turn at a time giving engine 10 seconds to resond until its at its highest idle
4: turn air screw either in or out to get highest idle
5: set idle for desired idle.
6:done

Correction..........

Idle adjusting.

Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.

Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle.

Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a fast idle.

Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.

Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs to allow the motor to respond.

Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .

Thanx everyone, the only real leak I had was the reed valve. Solved that with some yamabond.

Boy is it a BLASTer... It rained earlier today and I took it out on my gfs moms 10 acres and it never missed a beat other than running out of gas

Well I'm ripping the engine apart again tomorrow... Good ole ball bearing welded to the push rod and mushroomed push rod. What a crappy thing to happen. Is there any prevention to this? We don't really coast much and it happened after like 2 days

Might have been free play, shredded the washer under the lock nut and the adjusted was stuck wedged in the pressure plate.

Pretty comfortable ripping into this little engine though. I pretty much remember how to do it without literature other than the occasiOnal torque spec