New, about to buy a blaster. Need some help

eyeneversleep

May 13, 2011
Hi, just found this site looking for some info on blasters. I used to ride as a kid all the time. Had a Raptor 350 before. Moved out of the woods into the city and haven't had an atv since. Just got some land and wanna get back into it. I wasn't looking for a blaster but came across one Im thinking of getting. I love that its a two stroke. What are some things I need to look for before buying it ?
Its a 1999. It says runs good with new top end. Looks very good in the pic. He is wanting 750. I got the cash ready just wanna find out a few things first. Anything you can tell me will help. Thanks

you have come to a great place with a lot of knowledgeable people. welcome. but do you have a compression testor? cause i would say di a compression test. also, look for cracks in the frame... usually if the blaster is clean all over then the bike was well maintained. look for leaks around the head, does it run good? does it idle? does it shift through all 6 gears? im sure more people will chime in as well and add more stuff

Thanks. I'm thinking of picking up a compression tester before I go test drive. Not to sound like a noob, but how exactly does it work ? What numbers should I be looking for ? Also is 750 a good price if everything checks out ?

$750 for a running blaster is a good price depending on your location.

$1,000 here is a normal price for a running blaster. They're listed on CL for like $1,200 but I'm sure they get negotiated down to around $1,000.

Compression testers are simple beasts to use. You remove the spark plug and thread in the correct adapter, then install the rubber hose into the adapter and lay the tester to the side. Hold the throttle wide open and kick the engine over until the needle stops moving (or 6-7 times in my experience). Look at the gauge and remember that number. Press the schrader valve and release the pressure on the gauge and repeat the process at least 2 more times to take out any statistical errors.

Good compression on a sotck blaster is 130 psi. Decent is 120 psi. Passable is anything above 110. Anything above 100 can still run but will need attention soon. Anything below 100 will need attention right away.

Ok thanks alot. I talked to the guy today and he said he is selling because he bought it for his 10 year old and it was to much for him so he bought another him a recon. From the one small pic I have seen it looks in perfect shape. Oh and with removing the spark plug, Will i need to bring tools with me ? I have only really worked on cars before. Brand new to 2 stroke motors.

you will need i believe a 13/16 socket and a rachet. thats what i use. but post some pictures. i want to see it

"you can always talk someone down from the original posting price. If they post it for $750 they probably will settle for $600 cash in hand.

Just make sure it starts easily , rides good ,tires good have tread,rims not all bent up,frame not bent or broke, plastics not cracked, doesn't smoke you out, no leaks, and shifts through all gears with power and drives straight. I have bought 6 in the past 5 months and 750.00 is a real good price if it passes most of this list.Try to go down on price definately if something is wrong good luck and really check that frame and motor.

Well guy finally called me back, because I was wanting to go check it out today. He acted real shady and when I asked to come see it he hung up and every time I called back he hung up ? So latter I called him on my bros phone and he answered and we talked a bit then I ask to come check it out and well the hanging up started again. So I don't know that ones not gonna happen now. Still wanting a blaster though. More than ever really. Just gotta find a good priced one in Texas.

Well guy finally called me back, because I was wanting to go check it out today. He acted real shady and when I asked to come see it he hung up and every time I called back he hung up ? So latter I called him on my bros phone and he answered and we talked a bit then I ask to come check it out and well the hanging up started again. So I don't know that ones not gonna happen now. Still wanting a blaster though. More than ever really. Just gotta find a good priced one in Texas.

yah, stay away form that guy, he's a shady character, he;s hiding sumthing, try to find a diff one

I found a blaster today on CL. He says " I have a Yamaha Blaster 200 that needs a new crank shaft. Motor is removed and disassembled all in a box. I have priced the crank on the ebay and they go from $125.00-$175.00."

Here is the pic...

5727132668_3ce443898b_z.jpg

He says 300 or obo. If I can get him down to 150 - 200 is it worth it ? Never worked on an atv really but I do have experience with cars. Just wanted to get your guys opinions on this before I drive to get it.

$150 - $200 is about right for a roller and who-knows-what in a box. $300 is perhaps a little high unless you get to inspect everything REALLY close before hand.

There's the possibility you could get a crank and pop it all together quick. There's also the possibility that you could find a huge chunk missing out of the case from a broken piston which also took out the transmission gears. Who knows what's in the box...

Yeah if get it I plan on doing a full build. How much do blaster motors usually run? Is there places where you can buy bare blocks ?

craigslist!motors run anywhere from 300-1200 but i guess a stock motor would run u around 300 around my way. if the motor is apart and u plan on doin a full build u should make sure that the cases are good. actually honestly ive never gone that far in the motor so i shouldnt give u advice on it. but i'd get a +3 stroker for it, ported, VF3s or boyseen reeds, then a 34mm carb call it a day. oh and a pipe. :D i moded my bike slowly while it was running. my next mod will be aggressive trail port whenever i have the spare doe.

Yeah I figured I could buy it for 150 then drop like 4 to 500 in the motor I will still come out ahead. Yeah it will be a slow build, I wanna get it going by this summer some time. Trying to get pics of the motor and all. Will post them when I get them.

Ok he just texted me this " Don't think block is cracked. The guy I got it from said it had a gasket leaking. His son got on it over christmas break and drove it w/o checking oil. The Piston rod is bent and I'm not sure about the piston. I never did anything with it. "

I'm gonna offer 100 for it all. Would that still be worth it?

100 bucks still worth just the roller alone so i say grab it. with the rod being all bent or what not the piston couldve shattered and splintered all in the bottom end. but since its all apart u'd know it. but i bet he didnt even split the cases. if ure gonna build it up and have a mechanic do it i hope ure prepared to spend some doe bc labor alone is gonna break ur pockets. and yea like sicivic said too. if ure not familiar with engine eternals ure not gonna know what ure gettin in the box

Last edited: