My new toy...inside!!!

Blaster_myAZZ

Feb 26, 2011
Auburn, New York
I just picked this up 2nite and have had a boner ever since I loaded it up, lol. I cant believe i was able to find such a good deal and snatch this up. Cant go wrong for a 2005 for only $650 bux. I'm so stoked.
http://syracuse.craigslist.org/rvs/2689547234.html

yfz450.jpg
[/IMG]

blsterforum news.............."deleted post by author" on craigslist causes widespread erectile dysfunction !!!!!!!!

It seems all the parts are there, apparently it was backfiring so someone with no knowledge pulled the valve cover and one of the cams off and have left it like that in there garage for the past year.

so, what the hell is it ???? a 2005 what ????

Lol, good deal should part me out the plastics!! lmao.

Did it come with the rest of the parts not in pic?

i'd be leary that the valve/timing cover is pulled, prolly has valve/cam/timing chain troubles, and he prolly knew that, figured if it's half torn apart, you cant start it to hear whats goin on, but still worth what ya paid, just be ready to fork over some more $$$$ to fix it

i'd be leary that the valve/timing cover is pulled, prolly has valve/cam/timing chain troubles, and he prolly knew that, figured if it's half torn apart, you cant start it to hear whats goin on, but still worth what ya paid, just be ready to fork over some more $$$$ to fix it

Good call on that. You may wanna get a manual and make sure everything is in spec maybe replace what needs to.

Wow what a deal.

Give her a good bath and get started with any needed repairs. Maybe you'll get lucky and find out it was just the rev limiter malfuction. One of my banshees gave my all kinds of trouble until I disconnected that stupid sensor by the radiator. Unpluged it and it was white knuckle time.

Looks like a good deal for what you paid! Yeah, get yourself a manual like 1995blaster suggested so that you can be sure the top end is in good condition. I don't have any experience working on YFZ450's (I've only test-ridden a brand-new one, and wasn't impressed with it enough to buy one).

That said, I'm pretty familiar with other brands of 4-strokes. I used to have a TRX450r. So, as for other suggestions which might help you, 4-stroke quads in general are tough, but people like to ride them hard and bounce the engine off its rev limiter on a regular basis. This will eventually stretch out the cam chain and wear down the valves/seats, so be sure that the head is in good shape before putting it back together and going ripping. Also, don't forget to check and adjust the valve lash on each of the engine's 5 valves. If even one valve is set too tightly, performance will suffer and you will burn the valve in short order. Just FYI.

Oh, and I've heard that the early production (2004 - ?? ) YFZ 450's had a terminal flaw with the engine's oiling system. I believe it had something to do with the oil pickup in the bottom of the crankcase. I'd read up on this issue and either fix it yourself, or be 100% sure that a previous owner has already fixed it (not likely!), before you go riding and blow up the whole thing due to oil starvation. My .02. Hope that helps! :D