Lucky kid in SW Ohio

JD3020

Oct 30, 2008
Farmersville, Ohio
Well i live in southwest Ohio, west of dayton. Ive been riding snowmobiles since i was 1. And 2 years ago we got a Honda Foreman 500 4x4. Which is the best utility atv on the market i think. Ive always wanted a sport quad, but i would never buy one probably. I would rather buy a truck or something that i would be able to work. But my brother bought a house two weeks ago. It has 2 acres, and 2 garages. Well, we were looking in the small garage, and my dad saw something on a platform above the garage door. Turns out its a Blaster frame. it has no motor, handlebars, tires, engine, gearbox, and some other stuff. So its basically a frame, with a rear axle, what looks to be all the plastic, seat, gas tank, suspension, front a arms, bumper. But my brother gave it to me, and said if i clean up the garage and stuff, he will buy me tires. So once i get the garage cleaned up, we will try and get it down. But i dont officially have the go ahead from my dad. I still have to convince him to let me fix it up. But i have pictures of it on my camera, but so far 2 computers read it as having no pictures on it, when it has 825. So once i get that taken care of, ill post up some pics of it, and find out what year it is.

dude you can get a motor for like 300 if you really look around, and if he gets you the tires you should be all set.

Yeah. I thrown around the idea of buying a wrecked one and use for parts. Take what i need, and sell the rest. But im not sure yet. Im not gonna really start looking around until its on the ground, and my dad lets me do it. But hopefully it will give me something to do until snow hits the ground, and i get my snowmobile out. I would like to get it to beat my sled, but i dont really want to do 105 on a quad. But what would a decent motor be for me to get? I want something reliable, and powerful.

Wow thats crazy dude! Well.....heres the thing...its not like you go to a motorsports website and type in blaster motor and a brand new, fast engine will pop up for 300 bucks man....what you need to do is go on ebay or craigslist and find the cheapest motor on there for like 2 or 3 hundred and buy that then if you wanna get int all the performance then send the motor to get rebuilt with a vitos +3 stroker crank....get a vitos 240 kit(head, cylinder, piston etc). That will complete your engine...if you want a lot of performance out of it and dont really have too much of a money worry then just buy the motor off ebay and buy the head and cylder etc seperate in the vitos 240 kit. TBut thats just the engine bro there are tone of mods that you can do to a blaster...i could go on forever but its pricey....better off doin like I said above and just with those things your engine will be done completely and unless it seizes(not often) then you wont have to worry about that for a year or so. That right there will also cost you aorund a grand if you get it done at a shop...parts and all...then move on to other stuff like a new carb and reeds from there. Good luck bro...Im here alot if u got any questions...email fordsport@cox.net

I will probably set a budge of about 600 bucks. It has a FMF silencer(i think) also. But i probably wont race it or anything, so im gonna spend a ton on it. Just toy around with it. I would like to get a snowmobile motor, cause they are powerful, reliable, and will go 10-15k easy. My 500 has 100 or so horse stock. But i dont think my dad would let me spend money on a tricked out motor. Ill probably just buy a stock motor, and add on from there. First thing ill probably do is aftermarket intake and exhaust, make sure the carb is jetted good. Probably mess with gears, VForce reeds. Mainly simple stuff that shouldnt cost a arm and a leg. I think first i will look around here for a motor, which i probably wont find one, then ill go to Ebay. But i will have a lot of work. But what im curious about, is the gearbox. I know on snowmobiles they are CVTs, but our foreman has a foot clutch built into the shifter. I think its centrifugal, and it cant be stalled. But how is it set up on a blaster? Would it come with a motor, or separate.

Thanks for those links. Like i said i will talk to my dad tonight and see what he says. I dont really have a problem with working on or rebuilding a motor. I have a lot of people that can help me. But just curious, whats the specs on the 200s? And how reliable is it? I just want to know as much as i can before i dive in on this. Also, are the parts pretty interchangeable on the different years?

Well, the blaster was first made in 1988 i beilieve and from there to maybe late 90's they had a simalar style then they changed the style again in 2003 which is what i got and no longer make them.....Most parts are interchangeable....if you go on a website for aftermarkets parts you will notice that each part will be made for blasters of all yrs but some parts are for 88-2002 and then another part for 03-06 because 03 was the major change yr for the blaster. The blasters engine is composed of basically three parts,.....the head(top), the cylinder(middle) and the motor(bottom)...If you hear top end that means somthing to do with the head and cylinder and if you hear bottom end that means the motor. In the motor there is a crankshaft thats connects to the motor(gears) and to the transmission which by the way is a six speed...one click down and five clicks up. The top end is the easy thing to work on...all it is is the piston, rings and gaskets and circlips....The bottom ed is tough because everything is combined into one thing which leads to a sprocket that connects to your chain and rear sprocket to the wheels obviously. Some things about the blaster is that it is a 200cc size engine stock and it gets great power right from being stock....Depending on mods you get you could very well beat most atv's up to a 400cc i believe. You can make the blaster completly different then any other around....look at everything blaster here and there are no two the same!! Now to anwser your main questions.....on the bottom end there is a kick starter and a foot shifter....The clutch is a lever on the left handlebar and on the right is a front brake.....There is a back brake which is a foot brake on the right side....also depending on mods etc their is a parking brake as well...i assume you know how to use a clutch...lol But anyways yea the blaster is very reliable quad and their are many mods for them that are usable on many different yrs.....not sure how fast the foreman can go but depending on mods again you might be able to spank that in a race....lol ill be hea for any more questions bro.

Thanks for the info. And i love 2 strokes cause they are snappy, and simple. And i know how to work a clutch. This summer i learned how to drive a manaul truck becuase not many people have one. But i have grown up on my grandparents farm, and stalled many tractors over the years. So ive learned how to work the throttle, clutch, and be able to hear it. So it shouldnt take me that long to get used to it. But i can see my self stalling it at first. And the foreman will do 56. Its kinda fast, but i would bet that a blaster could kill it. Mainly because of size, weight, and its just a utility atv.

Well i took a little nap, but before i did i hooked my camera up to my PC and tried uploading the pictures. I was mad because it wasnt working,and it froze up. Well, i wake up and my parents are home. I look at my computer, and it uploaded all 825 pictures. So here are some pictures of my blaster. Tell me what you think of it. What mods it might have, what year, what shape do you think its in. Until i get it down, and read up some more im basically lost on the blaster its self.

resized_20081030184657859_21709.jpg

resized_20081030184733953_21709.jpg

resized_20081030184628265_21709.jpg

resized_2008103018455478_21709.jpg

resized_20081030184519578_21709.jpg

resized_20081030184446250_21709.jpg

resized_20081030184413359_21709.jpg

Lol that will be tough bro....the only thing I can see is that it looks older than a 2002 but it has an aftermarket(maybe dg bumper and aftermarket rear brake caliput but thats all i can tell from there...maybe someone else can help u with identifying stuff...sorry i wasnt much help on that one bro!

Yeah. Those arent the best pics in the world, but the best i could get with what i had. I was standing on the top of a step stool, with my camera above my head. But i think it has a DG bumper, FMF silencer, and a aftermarket brake caliper like you said. Maybe some other stuff. But hopefully in a week or two ill have it down and can look at it. Maybe even this weekend, but most likely not. But if anybody can see any problems with the frame or anything from the pics, please tell me. But what i plan on doing is taking it home because my brother doesnt have any water at his house yet. Its pumping out of a cistern in the basement, and i want to wash it. So i plan on bringing it home. Spraying it down, taking the seat, fuel tank, plastic and everything off, and cleaning it good. But im not sure how i will pretty up the frame. My brother said to grind it down, so i might do that, then paint it.

Yea def........painting is tough the first time or for me anyway cause i didnt know what i was doing but know i know ho for the new time! Ill check those pics out again tommorow and look better see ya lata

That is a great start especially for free. Looks like it got a nice hydro rear brake setup on it already. Paint up that frame, buy a motor, and beat the snot out of it!

like superjet said, nice free set up. itll take some work but it will all be worth it. i recommend getting a blaster 200 engine and modding the hell out of it. XD

Hi that certainly is a nice freebie! The best part is that you can built it with the best from the start, this way you will have a beast for the price of a stock blasty- if not cheaper! My guess would be '95-98, but if I had to say my guess would be '96. Good luck convincing your folks!

Your missing a bunch of stuff, from what i see your gonna need to do alot of cleaning and some paint. There looks to be alot of rust on it. Also, your going to need to bars, rear plastics( that includes an air box), a pipe, chain, wheels, rear shock, chain, whole engine with clutch, carb, air boot and a bunch of other stuff. I dont think that you will be able to do that job for $600.00 I think its a good project for someone like you.

But hopefully, when you clean up that garage you may find some of those parts you are looking for. I seems odd that someone would have a blaster in their garage halfway taken apart without the parts being somewhere. but it coulda just been a parts bike for someone.

Also, make sure that you replace the simple stuff just so then it works properly like the wiring and cables.

From the looks of the plastics and such I would say the bike is an early 90's blaster.

Good Luck with your project!! Feel free to PM me if you need any help.

The painting shouldnt really be that difficult. I have access to a sand blaster, paint guns, and can set up a paint booth. My brother blasted and repainted his 23 foot gooseneck with a 3 foot dovetail himself, and it looks really good. But i dont know what color i would paint it. But im gonna look around. I think if its gonna cost a lot more then 1 grand, my dad will say no, and i will just part it out, and use the money for my truck. I dont really want to put a lot of money in this cause i get my temps in june, and i want a truck by then. But thanks for all the help and advice. If anybody is parting out or has the parts lying around, please PM me. I am not saying i will be buying it, i just want to get a good idea of what it might cost. But for mods, i dont think im really mod it a lot. Unless i decide to get into racing, which i would like to. But i dont know what my parents would say about it. And other then a few small races, and drag races i dont really know of any. Once i get it down, im going to strip it down, and ill post pics of what i have, and ill make a list of what i need. Then i will get prices. Hopefully this will be in the next week or two.

nice find for free. i think you can get it going for less then a grand. you just will have to get stock parts for aftermarket. check ebay alot.

i have some parts you need. I have some stock handle bars with grips in good condition, a rear shock, and a OEM pipe. make an offer on the stuff, and Im sure i will take it. shipping may be a bit, but we can work something out.

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy. Once you get it down and cleaned up post some new pics to give us all a better look man! And im in Southeastern Ohio!