How NOT to install hydro brakes!

Brainmatter

Mar 17, 2010
Minnesota
This is pretty funny! Check out these pictures:
Yamaha Blaster ATV Hydraulic Brake Kit New : eBay Motors (item 200367770846 end time Mar-25-10 06:55:19 PDT)

I bought this set-up way back when I was collecting parts for my blaster and lost the instructions when it came time to actually install it so I thought I'd research it back on eBay. This is the same kit (same seller I think) with the esception of the caliper is just a little different, but same brackets, lines, bleeder bottle, etc.
Anyway, this guy has the caliper mounted with the bleeder screws on the bottom of the caliper. The bleeders have to be on the top, so all the air can be expelled, otherwise you'd have to reverse bleed the system with a pressure bleeder, Also, the 90 degree fittings look cool, but not a good idea. The caliper has a tapered pipe thread, so when the fitting is tight enough to not leak, it is highly unlikely that it will be aligned straight forward. I guess that's why it appears as though there is a lot of pipe thread on the fittings (also a no-no for brakes) and they still leak!

I already contacted the seller. I'm happy with my brakes so far.... I was worried about the nylon lines, but they hold up well, and the pedal is not spongy because of them. IDK... so far so good for a cheap set-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would get adapters to convert the nylon to braided stainless...it would just make me fel better anyway

i would get adapters to convert the nylon to braided stainless...it would just make me fel better anyway

Yeah, first time I snag one out in the woods I'll probably do that. I like to do 'durability testing' on the stuff I get in kits before I go and make them better unless I feel I have to in order for it to work. I'll send the guy some pictures of my install for his listing too.

The kit came with enough extra line to replace it if needed and a couple compression fittings would probably be fine on this for a quick splice/fix. I can throw those in the tool kit for a quick trail/track repair. I like quick and easyI:I

a tip i've got to help seal up that pipe thread is use red locktite instead of teflon. i was having problems sealing the nitrous lines on my car, and had that suggested to me, and no more leaks!

a tip i've got to help seal up that pipe thread is use red locktite instead of teflon. i was having problems sealing the nitrous lines on my car, and had that suggested to me, and no more leaks!

Good idea. That'd probably work fine on an application like this where the brake pressure is not too high. They also have some green stuff (602) that is really good for filling in larger gaps/spaces (within reason). It's meant for securing bearings and such, but may work well as a sealer too. Plus, in case you ever want to take it apart, that red stuff can be nasty (good nasty) unless you heat it.

I bought the same setup off same seller on ebay, i also had the same issue with the bleeders being on the bottom of the caliper, i changed them to the top and all was good after that they work great, the plastic cap blew out so i changed it with a steal cap.

not sure if you know of the site, but BlasterZone has lots of parts for these kits
Welcome to the BlasterZone Store

Thanks man, good to know where I can get the stainless lines... but... they have the damn bleeder screws and brake lines in wrong too in that picture!

You guys may think I'm crazy, but it will be impossible to properly bleed the brakes the way they have them set up! The bleeder has to be positioned at the highest point possible! Nuts...:-/

i know what your saying, when i first bought the blaster it came with that kit on it but it didnt work. then i thought wouldnt it make more sense for the bleeder screw to be on top?? so i switched them and magically it worked perfectly after that:eek: lol

my gsxr setups also have the bleeders facing somewhat downward, drove me nuts till i figuered out to bleed the with the caliper off the bike, hangin down, but ya gotta put a wrench in between the pads so they wont bleed closed, works like a charm

my gsxr setups also have the bleeders facing somewhat downward, drove me nuts till i figuered out to bleed the with the caliper off the bike, hangin down, but ya gotta put a wrench in between the pads so they wont bleed closed, works like a charm

Now I feel kinda stupid.... of course that would work too!
Too many years as an auto tech make me think about things only a certain way sometimes... you can't bleed a car caliper dismounted very easy, wouldn't want to either. I was only thinking about it from that angle...:-[

dont feel stupid, i had to call my buddy and he told me to do it like that, after i ran a half of bottle of fluid thru it with no results