GPS tracking/MPH etc. with Android

PikledBeats

Apr 19, 2010
Idaho
So I've been mapping my trails, MPH, elevation, and a list of other things lately using my android phone and a hella cool free program. It's got me excited so I thought I'd share. I have a google phone but this will work for anyone running an android.

Step 1. Download mytracks from your app store. It is free and developed by google maps. It is a program that works within google maps.

Step 2. Open mytracks and start and label new track. Put phone in backback pocket etc. (good idea to put in ziploc bag).

Step 3. Go riding

Step 4. When done hit stop and then upload to google account.

Step 5. log into google on computer go to google maps and you will see under your maps your track. open.

Step 6. You will now be able to see your whole ride marked on goggle maps even in satellite no matter where you have ridden. Maps new areas.

Now here is the cool thing it measures. speed (max, minimum, and avg), total distance, moving time, avg moving speed, elevation (gains and losses) Grade (min and max), latitude and longitude.

Now here is the coolest thing, you can click on any part of your trail (marked on map) and see the stats for that point of your ride or set up points and it measures between so for example 1/4 mile times (you can even set it to create a new point every 1/4 mile etc.). It also works in real time on your phone.

Lastly, you can load multiple rides on one map, so say you want to map an area over many rides, they will color code over each other to compare rides/map multiple areas in multiple rides.

You can also send trail maps to friends through simple texting

For a free app this is the most helpful riding tool I have ever used. Enjoy ......

Reactions: toytech and piezzi
So I've been mapping my trails, MPH, elevation, and a list of other things lately using my android phone and a hella cool free program. It's got me excited so I thought I'd share. I have a google phone but this will work for anyone running an android.

Step 1. Download mytracks from your app store. It is free and developed by google maps. It is a program that works within google maps.

Step 2. Open mytracks and start and label new track. Put phone in backback pocket etc. (good idea to put in ziploc bag).

Step 3. Go riding

Step 4. When done hit stop and then upload to google account.

Step 5. log into google on computer go to google maps and you will see under your maps your track. open.

Step 6. You will now be able to see your whole ride marked on goggle maps even in satellite no matter where you have ridden. Maps new areas.

Now here is the cool thing it measures. speed (max, minimum, and avg), total distance, moving time, avg moving speed, elevation (gains and losses) Grade (min and max), latitude and longitude.

Now here is the coolest thing, you can click on any part of your trail (marked on map) and see the stats for that point of your ride or set up points and it measures between so for example 1/4 mile times (you can even set it to create a new point every 1/4 mile etc.). It also works in real time on your phone.

Lastly, you can load multiple rides on one map, so say you want to map an area over many rides, they will color code over each other to compare rides/map multiple areas in multiple rides.

You can also send trail maps to friends through simple texting

For a free app this is the most helpful riding tool I have ever used. Enjoy ......

Gonna have to try this!

this sounds awesome as alot of bro's are askin about the trails on "awk mountain"
does this for sure only work on androids ?????
i have a samsung jack windows based phone right now, but have a droid powered one comin soon

Daughter just downloaded this on her Iphone, This is gonna be awesome! I'm not gonna get lost anymore on thye mountain!

so far androids and IPhone, I do not think windows phones as it works within google maps and I think the only way to access googlw maps in a windows phone is through browser. This works within the mobile map app made for androids and someone also said iphones.

I think you just helped me make my decision too get and iphone. The its time to retire the voyager

I have a samsung jack windows based phone right now, but have a droid powered one comin soon

Yyyyyup, ya do. :)
Don't even bother for Windows Mobile, that Jack is good for some things, this is not one of them.

BUT, AWK, hold that thought. Boy-Ah

BTW, Cool APP, thx for the plug, great info Beats!!!
Just installed it and set it up on my Droid, can't wait to log some data.
(Rooted HTC Desire HD/AT&T Inspire)

Last edited: