Fiance's Full Rebuild

Portaparty

Sep 20, 2012
Bellevue, NE
Ok, so I know this is a little backwards but, better late than never... My fiance's (Aka Dixie) aunt gave us an 89 blaster that needed some love... lots of love... The engine at first needed a new piston and bore... It ended up needing the crank bearings and rod bearings also. I ordered up a Wiseco crank kit. I was also given 3 cylinders with the blaster. Went to get them checked out all 3 needed re-sleeved so the shop that I was getting the work done at had one hiding for a rainy day. So he sold it to me pretty cheap. Dont remember price right off hand but it was cheaper than a re-sleeve.

The blaster also needed some brake work, didn't have a carburetor, and needed tires... So I searched trusty ole craigslist. Found an '03 roller for $300 I figured that would be a good investment... offered him $200 and he bit. After I got that roller back to the house I started looking it over and found a crack that was repaired and looked like crap. So I was going to use the old frame but then I figured out how much work it would be to modify the old frame to fit the new brakes and body mounts. When I took it to the powder coater I had him take a look at the weld and clean it up a bit. He said it looked pretty good so that helped out.

So without going into complete detail of the last 3-4 months of building this blaster I will bring you up to current status.

I need to finish the plastics. I bought some awesome decals for it to match Dixie's personality. I will try and update with some links later.

Ok the stuff you all are probably wanting to hear about...
Ported Cylinder
V-Force 4 Reed
FMF fatty
FMF Power Core 2 silencer
Stock Carb w/ TORS delete
Oil Block off plate
Problems right now…
I am having carburetor issues (I believe) it isn’t idling and wont stay running.
I need a newer carrier.
That’s about all for now…I will post some pics of the progress soon.
As of right now I would like to thank every one on this site that posts helpful information. Which it almost all is!! You guys have helped me through a lot. I will try and start posting also from what I have learned during this process.

welcome to BF.
sounds like a good solid rebuild.
check this link, there's links to all sorts of troubleshooting and especially the carb tuning links you need to get that carb back to tip top shape...........

http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/my-general-troubleshooting-maintenance-30347/

Welcome.

Is it jetted for the FMF?

Have you leak tested it yet?

I have done a full rebuild of the carb so far. I have not jetted it yet. I am still not sure of which jet to start with... I think it has a 230 in it right now for the main and the rest are stock.

Any recommendations for the jetting? I will supply a pic of the port job... Not sure how to do that yet.

I just ordered a leak down tester from slickerthanyou today and it is in the mail already.

With all the mods listed in your first post, I would start with a 290 in cold weather and 280 in summer temps. Stock pilot should be fine at 1-2 turns out (ideally you want 1.5 turns out). I would have the clip on the needle in the third position. And see how she performs, If ya remove the air lid or have holes in the lid, or have filter straight off carb I'd go up 1 size on the main.

With all the mods listed in your first post, I would start with a 290 in cold weather and 280 in summer temps. Stock pilot should be fine at 1-2 turns out (ideally you want 1.5 turns out). I would have the clip on the needle in the third position. And see how she performs, If ya remove the air lid or have holes in the lid, or have filter straight off carb I'd go up 1 size on the main.
Thanks!!! Now i need to order a jet kit... There are 2 small (apprx 3/4") holes drilled in the lid... Do you still think I should go up a size?

Most jet kits don't have what you need , and have what you don't need. Just buy in the range above and below what was suggested.

BTW, welcome to the little dirt pile!! I:II:I

/\ /\ /\ Jet kits are not worth the plastic they are wrapped in and the needle is more useful for clearing the wax out of your ears than metering fuel.

Most jet kits don't have what you need , and have what you don't need. Just buy in the range above and below what was suggested.

BTW, welcome to the little dirt pile!! I:II:I

Thanks!!!

/\ /\ /\ Jet kits are not worth the plastic they are wrapped in and the needle is more useful for clearing the wax out of your ears than metering fuel.

I will be purchasing some today. Hopefully the one of the dealerships locally will have some in stock, I would really love to have this thing running by Christmas!!

Ok i got some jets... I will be putting them in around 4 today...
Also I have attached a pic of the port job.. Comments (bad or good) on it are appreciated!!

Attachments

• 2012-12-12 16.28.10.jpg
    2012-12-12 16.28.10.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 167
Some good, some bad.

Been a little too enthusiatic in places and not enough in others.

Shaping looks pretty good but there are areas that need rounding off some.

It will prolly produce plenty of power over a stock jug.

Ok, so I put in the a 280 Main jet and It will start and run, but it will not rev up, it almost sounds like it wants to hit a certain RPM and that's it... There was a couple times at first when I started it that it would jump up in the RPM's but it only happened for just a second or two...Is this because I need to go up in the jet still? Or is there something else? I just dont want to do anything to mess it up...

your main jet only effects 3/4 to full throttle, not the rpm jumps at start-up/idle, unless you were holding wide open trying to rev it, (i hope not on a fresh motor ?)
the lack of revving prolly has more to do with the float heigth, pilot circut/airscrew, needle clip setting, an airleak, or a tors problem if still connected ?
look in the carb section at the stickies at the top for the threads on each of those subjects