Eventually started on my new project

MrTwoJay

Nov 29, 2013
south africa
Here, goes, my new baby just got delivered this morning, already striped it all down, and cleaning up. Not sure whats all done to the motor, but the owner says it wheelied in 6th..
Checked the carb and it has a 310 main, so that gives me the idea of some mods, probably porting too.
Notice the nice shocks... all around gas.

Attachments

• rps20131208_143901.jpg
    rps20131208_143901.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 306
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Awk08
Tnx AWK.
Lol, I'm on some other forums and was used to doing it that way, sowy.

The blaster is striped down and cleaned up now, and ready for painting...
I noticed the swingarm had a stress crack in the top brace, I suspect its due to the wheel spacers. But, I am going to extend the swingarm by 4", will do some extra bracing at the same time.
Will take pix, and post them for those interested.

Well done for doing the preliminary checks.

It is always a good idea to leak test a used 2 stroke as soon as you get it.

Rather than just extending the junk stock arm, why not build an all new one?
Blaner has a good thread on how to, and I'm sure there's others.
Cracking on the cross brace is very common.

mtxliv.jpg

qyy1q8.jpg

3343fup.jpg

6i49ya.jpg

15x91t2.jpg

Ok, here goes... Hope I got the uploading right this time, its such a mission getting pix here...
Anyhow, here are the before and after pics, all done in 1 week.
swingarm was extended by 4" and braced on top with a 20x10mm bar, mig welded, also raised the shock bracket as it was a bit too low with the new shock.

Then came the dilemma, i noticed that the carb threads were stripped on the slide cover (common issue), and i really don't approve of that heavy TORS unit sitting on top of the carb, so, 2 or so hours later, I finally finished machining a new cover, which gets tightened permanently with tapered grubs, and some sealant for just in case some dust wants to find it's way inside. Then came a cap, with 6 screws holding it together.
The Stock cable does work, but requires a bit of filing to get into the "slide clamp mechanism).
Lastly, there is my home made nudge bar, made with some steam bends and 2mm tubing, not as heave as it sounds though...

Next project is to Finnish my trailer, so i can go have some fun.

Tnx guys.

To Herp: I made the carb cap myself, turned out of some 50mm ally stock. If you have access to a lathe and some taps, its not that hard to make.
An aftermarker cap would not fit either, as the threads are damaged.
The previous owner just cut two slits in the origional cap, and put a heavy duty hose clamp around it, does not tighten up properly, but works... dust can still get in, and if by any chance it does fall off...