DIY fixing a warped head

Paulie B

Jan 17, 2008
SOMD
This is a mini DIY on how to fix a warped head at home. This method is also called lapping.
It's a good idea to check your head during a rebuild when you have it off, or after buying one used.
How do you know your head is warped?
For a water cooled motor you'll be burning coolant, possibly over heating, or smoking more.
For an air cooled motor you should see fuel gather outside the jug around the head gasket area, and sometimes you can hear the leak.
OR you bought your head used from Minkia38 on Ebay.
A warped head will hurt your performance at best and toast your motor at worst.

To fix it tape a piece of wet or dry 400-800 grit sand paper to a flat surface. I like 400 because it works fast.
The yellow powder coating over spray tells me my head is warped and there is a low spot in that area

P4070014.jpg

Spray some cutting oil or light oil on the sandpaper I used WD40. This keeps the paper from instantly clogging up with aluminum making it useless.

Keep the old plugs in to keep grit and aluminum out of the threads.
Move the head, pressing down slightly in a figure 8 pattern for a few minutes.
A good eye will be able to see the warpage as parts of the head that aren't touching the paper or parts that look dull compared to the fresh sanded parts.
Keep goin and spray fresh oil on the paper every now and then. I also wipe the sandpaper off with a rag to keep it cutting fast.
For my head it took a good 20 minutes and I would consider mine to be pretty bad.
You will know when it's enough by the whole sealing surface looking uniform or all the same.

P4070023.jpg

For the record I don't think mine was leaking because the powder coat filled in the low spots but I'm not the type of guy to knowingly run something I know is wrong.

P4070011.jpg

You might be curious like I was as to any performance increases since in a way you just milled off material from the head. Well here my compression before and after 20 minutes of work.
I gained about 6 psi- not enough to affect my tune, and in no way a substitute for having Flotek mill your head which would also fix any warpage.

Before:
P4070009.jpg

After:
P4070024-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! Agreed the granite/glass deal is awesome- and ideal for a perfect flat surface.
I didn't have any at the time but I recently pulled a piece of and old granite countertop out of a dumpster for this purpose I:I

That's like 7-8 psi... ~144 to ~152.

I've been looking for a piece of granite or thick glass for this purpose. I even put a post on Craigslist looking for a countertop installer who had a piece broken or left over from a job who'd like to sell it to no avail....

Great post Paulie!

Be warned that if the glass is not thick enough it can flex if on an uneven surface. I use 1/4" plate glass on a known flat benchtop.

Using Methylated Spirits as a lubricant helps stop the build up of aluminum in the wet and dry paper. It helps the alum residue to flow away and needs to be wiped off less frequently.

As a final check to see if the component surface is level, place a straight edge on the surface and hold it up to a bright light. Light will shine between the straight edge and the mating surface if not perfectly level.

Another word of warning, some people are in the habit of using a steel rule for a straight edge. This is not ideal as steel rules flex causing wrong readings. A proper designated straight edge must be used!

That's like 7-8 psi... ~144 to ~152.

I've been looking for a piece of granite or thick glass for this purpose. I even put a post on Craigslist looking for a countertop installer who had a piece broken or left over from a job who'd like to sell it to no avail....

Dang your right. I remember the gauge read exactly 150 after I got done.
I took the 'after' pic from the side apparently.
We'll say 6 psi of compression gained from the lapping.
Thanks bro I:I

Reactions: JBRoc01blaster
Nice DIY ... I'm waiting to pick up my cylinder from getting bored so now I have a little somethin to do to help pass the time. Good timing too cause this is somethin I should obviously do before I put everything back together and find out the hard way. Thanks for the info, I'd give you some rep but I'm still kinda new to this forum and I don't know how to do that.