Confused on pipes.

Diablo362

Mar 14, 2009
Me and my buddy both have blaster and we both bored them to the same size. Mine has more aftermarket, and his is all stock cept the piston...He has a fmf Gold Series with fatty pipe and I have a Toomy B1. Shouldnt mine smoke his???

dude welcome to my world about 2 months ago i got beat by a stocker and one just with fmf, need to gear it higher if you have smaller tires, and performance parts dont add MPH they add HP and question is. is all that power you have usable? or it could just be the driver. never seen you ride though.

How close is it when you guys race? I noticed your geared taller(14th) as well that can hurt your acceleration a tad.

Is your clutch hooking up in the power area?

I'd say im as good as the other rider, because im 14 and just getting good at riding, but I have Maxxis Razr's i think, and he has the stock balloon tires... I dont get it. Is FmF better than toomy?

well we arent mind readers so nobody knows what "more aftermarket" means...and keep in mind nerfs handlebars etc. arent gonna make you beat your buddy in a race lol. As far as pipes go, yes the toomey is a slightly better pipe overall...but not more than a couple hp...so to answer question no you shouldnt smoke him...you MAY have a few more hp but there are alot more factors than that go into being "faster" than your buddy

ya FMF hits you like a rock in like 3rd tommey to me seems to be more smoth throught the powerband if you start like rolling in 3rd bet you beat him haha my friends cant keep up to me in midrange

correct me if im wrong guys, i would change your sproket gearing, im running 13/40 i believe( ill check and get back with ya) and i can bet my buddy from 2nd on

taller tires like 20's smaller rear sprocket like a 39, now you just need a long area to drag to beat him on the long run. 13/40 is stock gearing

Well mine isnt sopposed to be like a drag blaster. but more of a trail one. and btw any suggestions suspension wise??? I got stock and i have horrible trails.

well first off... boring does NOTHING to your motor as far as HP and such.. it adds a small amount of CC's but thats only noticeable on paper... If you want a faster quad you just gotta tweak it, yea you have a better exhaust.. but did you rejet your carb right? Are your reeds intact? IF his rear tires are bigger he is gonna pull on you later in the gears because he will have a higher top speed. Also are you shifting at the right point in your powerband? too early will kill you and so will too late. Is his really "stock" or is he building a sleeper? (stock looking quad but alot done to the engine)
p.s. as far as suspension its how much your are able to spend, and how good you are at fabricating stuff. Im using banshee front shocks and they are an improvement over stock but if you can find like works shocks or some aftermarket long travel shocks for a decent price they would be better. rear shock you can use a 400ex rear, yfz450 rear (with slight modifications to the shock), Like i said its what you are able to spend and able to fab.

on the stocker being faster...

i have avid that shows proof my wifes blaster was faster off the line than mine...

mods.. wifes.. stock exhaust, no air box lid, 240 main, boysen power reeds, 13/40 and 18s
mine.. fmf exhaust, no lid 270 main, 14/40 with 18s

and hers with my buddy riding gets a good jump on me cuz of the gearing.. but i pass it on the top end

it would be the rider.. or you machine could be out of tune.. and by that i mean dirty carb, weak reeds, drty air flilter, gummed up silencer ( slows down flow),
poorly jetted and tuned carb.... all that cann effect the out come..

try this.. you ride his and he rides yours.. race than.. if yours wins its the rider

nhaa i was with him from start to finish and theres nothing done to his engine, besides boring... and what do you mean at the right point of my powerband.

And we did the swich in the race and his(the one i rode) still won, so its deffinally the quad.