Carb Leaking Gas

FoundationLLC

Sep 23, 2011
Cleveland OH
Whats up, I just switched from a twist throttle to thumb throttle on my 98 blaster, and now the carb is leaking gas from the bottom over flow tube. I took it off cleaned it, cleaned all the jetts, float seems okay, i put it back together and still its leaking??? It never did before i put the thumb throttle on. I just couldn't keep that twist anymore, i was gonna hurt myself...lol any suggestions? Does that float need adjusted to accomidate for the thumb throttle??

Float might need adjusted. Just bend the little tab that pushes on the fuel plunger the TINIEST! bit.

Before you do that give the carb a couple small whacks with a rubber mallet. It might knock the plunger loose so itll seat better. Heres a carb float adjustment video... Cleaning included, float height adjustment is towards the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually if it's not the float set too high or sticking, it's the jet seat.
In a pinch you can gently fix it with a drill bit but, I recommend getting a new one.
During all the jossling of riding and transport, the jet rubs against the soft brass and cuts a lip into it.

Well thanks to all the replies, im headed out to the garage now to take it apart again, i never took the float all the way off, so first ill try to clean the plunger, and check the seting of the float... I have plans to go ride tomorrow, gotta get her going.
I have another question. since putting the thumb throttle on it seems to be kind of sluggish compared to the twist, any suggestions of what it might be

Sluggish...besides cable adjustment I don't see how it could make a difference. Probably feels more controllable now and makes it seem slower

No it is real sluggish, it doesen't even sound nearly the same or have the same kick, it probably just needs finely tuned in, I hope. I bought a new stator, im gonna put it on in a little bit here, then tune it all in and hope for the best. My bike was fast as hell 2 days ago.... hope for it to get back...

Make sure the the thumb throttle is opening the slide all the way, you have to pull the air boot and actually look or feel that the slide is 100% open. Did you get the correct cable for thumb?

If you are leaking fuel the float is either not shutting off the gas or there is dirt in the needle and seat.

Whatever it is causing it, the fuel level in the bowl is too high and will cause an over rich mixture causing lack of power and so called 4 stroking (change of engine sound).

Reactions: usamahmoola
^^^^^^
great post

what you also can do buy a carb rebuild kit they are very cheap on e-bay
i payed like 15 bucks and all my problems were gone;)

Thanks!

And sparky7 after i watched video and(re cleaned again) no gas leaked out of carb so thanks... now just need to get this baby back up to speed

Very welcome man. Glad we were able to help. Let us know how the ride goes.

I'm having a similar problem fuel coming out of the back of the carb. I've messed with the float. Its got power in first gear after that its a dog. No power at all. A turtle could pass me. Lol. . any help would be greatly appreciated . thanks

If you are leaking fuel the float is either not shutting off the gas or there is dirt in the needle and seat.

Whatever it is causing it, the fuel level in the bowl is too high and will cause an over rich mixture causing lack of power and so called 4 stroking (change of engine sound).

Reactions: brian degand
I got a carb rebuild kit I'm going to throw in. Sure hope it takes care of my issue!!! Thanks a bunch guys !!!!!!