best bang for your buck

JareeB

Jan 5, 2010
looking to get more top speed but still be able to be trailalbe. i wana get second place at my local radar runs my dad takes first with his banschee every year, his atv runs 78mph in a just under 1000ft strip track. i would like to get like at least 65mph, i plan on putting like 1.5" snowmobile studs in like my dad so it doesnt matter how bad the track is. last year i hit 41 and spun really bad, mods so far are just a fmf gold series. let me know what you guys think would help, also could i get a smaller rear sprocket or a big front? thanks guys

...... you would like to beat a banshee on top speed with a blaster?

It can be done but you will be doing a LOT of sacrificing in order to do it (like how a drag blaster can outrun a trail banshee on the strip).

First off, you will need a LOTTTTTTT more power. I would suggest a big bore kit simple because you will not only need high horsepower, you'll need torque to pull the taller gearing.

You'll also need a bitching clutch, 15/38 gearing, a lowering kit, remove the front fenders, strip all of the unneeded weight off of it.

With those, you might be close.

BTW, very rarely is racing any sort of "best bang for the buck" because you can pretty much count on blowing anything that resembles a budget in order to be the fastest...

no no i dont wana be my dad just take second he can have first lol i wana beat the 4 strokes that are hitting like 58mph, okay lets restart here, i wana know of some decent in price upgrades like reeds, carb, maybe oconners port job

It all depends on your budget. Re-gearing is cheap and easy, but it won't do you much good if the engine doesn't have enough power to take advatage of the taller gearing.

That said, you can have your top end ported/head re-worked by OConnor Racing, and this will give you a lot more usable power. BUT, that re-worked engine won't run well without also upgrading the clutch, carburetor, and pipe.

Bottom line is, it costs $$ to go fast.

If you are on a budget, I'd start with upgrading your pipe. Get a Toomey or Factory 7 exhaust. These pipes perform well, but unlike the FMF, they don't sign off on top and will keep pulling as the revs climb.

You can also get a larger carburetor to feed the engine more fuel. Get a 28mm Keihin or 30mm OKO. Same with the air filter. Toss the stock one in favor of a UNI, and take off the lid to your airbox (don't forget to re-jet for this mod).

After you've got a good pipe and carb setup, you can think about having your engine ported and installing a HD clutch kit.

boyeson dual stage reeds, a PWK28mm or OKO 30mm carb, Port job, head mod, decent pipe and good jetting, remover airbox lid and you sorted for some decent power

You would be surprised what just porting and a pipe will do.
Add a bolt on wheelie bar to really let loose off the line.
Ps your dad is slow lol
Jes kiddin but he has alot more potential in that shee.

Cheap mods....
Regearing
Remove airbox lid (rejet)
Shaved head for higher compression (Run premium)
Timing plate mod (Changes ignition timing)
Lightened flywheel (Add's Ponies and Torque)

Those are all cheap mods for easy power... Then theres always upgrading to a better pipe, big bore kit, port work, bigger carb, everything that people have listed above. Ken O'conner does absolutely amazing work. Check out his youtube page to see what he does. I believe kenoconnerracing is his udername on youtube. Check it out.

do what everyone above said but keep your goals realistic. your not gonna pound the 4 strokes unless they are 300cc and under. the blasters top speed isn't close to a banshee or the bigger 4 strokes. you'll gear up a ton then lose lots of acceleration with that