Bent shifter shaft on 03 blaster

Banshee Boo

Sep 7, 2010
Rhode Island
Hello. While in the trails this past weekend, my step-daughter's blaster stopped when she reached the bottom of the hill. After inspection, we say the small sprocket came off. X( When it did, it hit the shifter shaft and bent it dramatically down (and also cracked the dust cover to the swing arm). My husband and I are wondering - can we try to bend the shifter shaft back, or will that cause more problems inside the transmission? :-/

pretty sure all you have to do is take shift lever off, take clutch cover off, take clutch basket off and that is all.

don't have to take the clutch basket off. it's really easy. if you buy a new one from bikebandit or some place like that just realize it doesn't come with one of the springs on it. you have to order that seperately. might as well replace the seal and shift lever while you are there. I took the lever off once and it never grabbed right again.

Thanks. We actually already took it all apart (clutch basket and all). Didn't take too much time, but found out soon thereafter that when the front sprocket hit the shift shaft and bent it, it also cracked the lower engine casing...... My husband mentioned something about aluminum weld. Any thoughts on that, and if it's actually possible?

stay away from stuff like jb weld and stuff, it my work but it is iffy and don't hold up to good, bet would be to get it welded properly. sounds like it did quite a number on it, pics?

I'm going to take some pics tonight and will post them. After more closer inspection, we decided our best bet is to pull the engine and replace the left half of the crankcase. There are actually three cracks, all about an inch long, one of them gaping. Two are horizontal, and the big one is vertical on the bottom. Best not to pay someone to weld it, and then find out it didn't hold. Might as well just do it the right way and replace the whole thing. Got one quote last night for $190 for the half. Good winter project, I guess. ;)

Wise choice, expecially with that many cracks and to the extent of the danage u spewk of, look for a blown motor on craigdslist or somethin, might find a better deal on a part out, also, look around in the for sale section and pm the seller, or become a supporting member to posr in the wanted section

I'm going to take some pics tonight and will post them. After more closer inspection, we decided our best bet is to pull the engine and replace the left half of the crankcase. There are actually three cracks, all about an inch long, one of them gaping. Two are horizontal, and the big one is vertical on the bottom. Best not to pay someone to weld it, and then find out it didn't hold. Might as well just do it the right way and replace the whole thing. Got one quote last night for $190 for the half. Good winter project, I guess. ;)

$190 for a case half????? :eek: there is a whole bottom end in the forsale section that comes with a new crank that needs to be installed for only $200

Wow. Thanks for the info. I'll have to check that out. Glad we didn't buy it yet, though that was just a cursory look. We'd have researched it more before the actual purchase, but yeah - I'll take a look at what you're referring to.

It is possible (if you can find a reputable welder) to repair cases that have been cracked by a blown chain. Someone cracked a right side case just last month trying to tighten the clutch cover down without the kick starter in correctly and had it welded. Not only was it beautifully done (kudo's to the welder, it looked AWESOME) but it was perfectly fine to reinstall.

Things to remember about a 2 stroke: the crankcase only seals the crankshaft inside of itself. The transmission case is a seperate volume. The transmission fluid never comes in contact with combustion by products or cumpression pressures. All the transmission case does is retain the fluid under ambient pressures to lubricate the transmission components.

The shift shaft is a sensitive arear because of the pressure that shifting exerts on the case but it's not too great for a good welder.

I took pictures. Lets see if I can post them correctly......

002.jpg
[/IMG]

001.jpg