Asphalt drag mods.

Blaaster

Staff member
Technician
Jul 18, 2011
eastern australia
This is the start of the wheelie bar mod for my lads Blaster, to run an 1/8 mile asphalt drag.

If any one has any ideas on how it can be improved, please chime in as I have not been down this track before.

I have been advised to make it about 6ft long and I am open to ideas on where to fit it to.

I will post pics of the progress as I fabricate.

I am toying with making the rear shock a solid bar, what do you think?

Looks like a good start. I like where the top two bars attach to the frame. I would run 2 bars on the bottom a bit longer than the tops. 4 bars total.It would be a good idea to make some sort of adjustment on the bars to be able to adjust the height. I will get you a few pics. I have not been on much the past few weeks and missed this thread.

Comments please anybody, take no notice of the welds as yet as they are only tacks to hold it together prior to welding.

I plan to make the wheel height adjustable.

run a normal rear shock and use either diffrent mounting holes or threaded rods to adjust the height of the wheel and how much it will take to preload it

run a normal rear shock and use either diffrent mounting holes or threaded rods to adjust the height of the wheel and how much it will take to preload it

Thanks for the input, I plan on using the stock shock but disabling it as the bar is fitted.

Please elaborate on how the wheel should be mounted.

What if u made the bottom point of the wheelie bar where it mounts to the 4 wheeler adjustable???

like weld a nut on the end of that bottom square tube and run a bolt with a "U" welded on the end to go around the rear bar of the skid plate??

although i guess you would have to change your top mounts to swivel some.

The top mounts are fitted solidly to where to grab bar attaches.

The weight of it is surprisingly light, it is made of thin wall RHS.

The bottom RHS has a "u" clevis which goes around the lower carrier bolt tube.

The races are of the handicapped type, staggered timing of lights on the tree.

Speed is not really the order of the day but exciting close finishes, it will be all down to reaction time at the tree.

Now clutching for ideas, the wheel, castor or not.

Will a castor wobble around and be unstable, and chuck the bum about.

Will a non castor put up resistance and grab the road.

I am looking at a plastic wheel about 3" diameter.