89 Blaster Project

Petas

Apr 1, 2011
Greensboro, NC
I bought a project 89 Blaster about two weeks ago. This is my second Blaster now. It needs some work. I traded a PS3 for it. It had no cylinder or head. I also found out, after I got it, the bearings in the carrier are completely shot to the point that I think the carrier is shot too. Also the upper a-arm bushings are in pretty bad shape.

I've bought some some parts from yamaha28 in the parts section. I bought his complete rear axle with carrier, reed cage, and cylinder head(Everything looks good by the way I gave him some rep and tried to reply in the thread but it wouldn't let me). All I need now is a cylinder for a decent price. They sell on eBay for crazy prices. Haven't pulled the trigger because I'm trying to find one for a good price(and I'm broke:D).

The bottom end seems to be in good condition. No visible cracks in the case, rolls over freely, and the rod looks to be in good shape(other than a little surface rust in the wrist). What else should I check before I go any further? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I think I'm on the right track but I know some of you guys have lots of experience rebuilding the top end on these blasters.

Sorry, I forgot to post the pics:-[

89Blaster.jpg

89Blaster2.jpg

Already got my bid in on that cylinder ;)

Is it an 89? I'm 99% sure. I looked up the VIN# the day I got it. 10th digit tells the year. It's possible the shocks are not original.

I got some front tires, a-arms, and possibly rear tires for ya when you have the money boss!

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I want to get the engine running right first before I put any more money into it. I think I can just replace the UCA and LCA bushings. The ball joints appear to be in decent shape. I'll be needing a couple plastics eventually too. To be honest things like that are last on the list.

P.S. The parts you sent me look good. Thanks again

i would suggest a bottom end split, just to be sure all is well ther, could have some water damage, I dont know, id do it for peace of mind.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I want to get the engine running right first before I put any more money into it. I think I can just replace the UCA and LCA bushings. The ball joints appear to be in decent shape. I'll be needing a couple plastics eventually too. To be honest things like that are last on the list.

P.S. The parts you sent me look good. Thanks again

I got plastics too! haa

No problem man, glad they went to good use

man, i wanna beater blaster that color. my cousin had one like that when we were coming up.

i would suggest a bottom end split, just to be sure all is well ther, could have some water damage, I dont know, id do it for peace of mind.

I'll be honest, that scares me a little. I would need a gasket set huh?

Yeah it looks a little rough. I'll be painting it at some point. New seat cover, paint, new tires, and a little elbow grease she'll look good I:I