Yamaha's 450 class......

jlsparky7

Mar 26, 2007
Southeastern, Mi
Everyones thinkin it, im gunna be the first to say it. Yamaha's 450 is gunna lose its ass if they dont come out with something new or mooch the other companies ideas. Suzuki has the centered exhaust, FI, and its wider. Kawasaki now has the aluminum frame and FI. What does the yamaha have? Nothing. They need to come out with something this year....

What are your thoughts?

Do you guys read Dirtwheels/Quad magazines? B/c last I read the yfz450 beat out all other 450s in a test for all around 450 sport quad. remember Im not saying racer quad but all around.

I do agree they need to step it up. Im sure it wont be long before we see the yama in FI.

Do you guys read Dirtwheels/Quad magazines? B/c last I read the yfz450 beat out all other 450s in a test for all around 450 sport quad. remember Im not saying racer quad but all around.

I do agree they need to step it up. Im sure it wont be long before we see the yama in FI.

You seriously think those magazines are honest about there results? lol, they are equaly as bad as or worse than politics when it comes to testing products. The only thing the yam 450 is not lacking is hp/cc. yamaha makes one powerful engine. Suzuki has the better suspension, honda has the better reliability, kawa has the better frame. Then theres fi....

I agree with your step it up statement as I said before.

Not raggin on ya man just stating the facts.

man i dont wanna start trouble either but yamaha probably pays dirtwheels more to show em up... cuz when i used to get dirtwheels the whole mag had almost all yamaha most of the time

SParky,

Actually all of what you said was in the Review. All of the stuff you say bout the other machines being better was there.

The industry needs to rely on these mags to do what they do. There is no way a mag company is getting paid off to say one thing over the other. The factories know that they are going to be scrutinized by mags, this is how they know how to improve their products.

You have to read it for your self to make a judgement.

One thing you have to remember about this review I read, its stating that yamahas 450 is the best overall b/c of the wide range of riders/riding type that it can be used for. In no way does that mean it has the best suspension or best frame.

I dont think your giving enough credit to the mags, I really dont think they are as bias as you think.

SParky,

Actually all of what you said was in the Review. All of the stuff you say bout the other machines being better was there.

The industry needs to rely on these mags to do what they do. There is no way a mag company is getting paid off to say one thing over the other. The factories know that they are going to be scrutinized by mags, this is how they know how to improve their products.

You have to read it for your self to make a judgement.

One thing you have to remember about this review I read, its stating that yamahas 450 is the best overall b/c of the wide range of riders/riding type that it can be used for. In no way does that mean it has the best suspension or best frame.

I dont think your giving enough credit to the mags, I really dont think they are as bias as you think.

I dont get how only the yam 450 is more versitile than any other 450. That makes absolutly no sense to me whatsoever. You can ride any of the quads I listed anywhere just like the yfz. So how could a magazine say that the yamaha quad is a better all around atv?

see now before i get going here, everyone understand what im stating is MY OPINION, so dont hate me for it
This is how i judge the latest 450 class from experience both riding on and with the machines

Suzuki - Best out of the box race quad, not good for much else with the stock setup

Kawasaki - Best all around 450 sportster due to the FI and the overall setup+ the reverse

Honda - WORST in reliability, i have shop slips to prove it, severaly underpowered when compared to the other ones, bad frame geometry which translates into a choppy ride

Yamaha - Good quads, but far from what DW's says, in the real world these quads are made to buy-build-race, for everyday riding and endurance riding the YFZ's require alot of stupid little mods, things Yamaha shouldve taken care of on the 06-07 redesign <This comes from ThumperTalk, those men are geniouses

This is my opinion, i know somebody who has one of each of these quads and the Suzuki and Kawasaki are the best in my eyes, and I'll take a YFZ over a TRX anyday of the week. so this is personal opinion from experience i guess you kould say. I was VERY disappointed when i read the DW write up.

Price, If there is this dream yamaha 450 that you speak of with the suspension, handling, weight... how freakin expensive will it be? Yamaha is not cheap as it is. What would happen to the market of 450 parts if we had this dream quad. The YFZ 450 is a great all around ATV. I do agree though, if they don't step upwith something newer or drop the price then there is gunna be big problems at the ATV dept. at Yamaha.

All im saying is all the other companies came out iwth new ideas this year and yamaha did nothing. I think they were spending all there time making the new R1.

All im saying is all the other companies came out iwth new ideas this year and yamaha did nothing. I think they were spending all there time making the new R1.

totally agree with you on the first sentence anyway. I dont know anything about the r&d they did no the R1.

totally agree with you on the first sentence anyway. I dont know anything about the r&d they did no the R1.

Electronic throttle is one major thing. Another thing is the velocity stacks accually change size as you accelerate giving you more torque in the low RPMS and more hp in the higher RPMS. Absolutly amazing engineering in this bike.

Lets remember a few years ago there was no bike that could touch the yfz 450. Everybody else had to start from scratch just to build anything to keep up with it. I gaurantee the 450 will rise again. I do agree the the new susuki 450 is one hell of a bike. Thats the bike I would go with right now. But when Yamaha changes the 450, chances are everybody else will be scratching their head again.

I've never heard of the outlaw 450. My brother has the outlaw 525 and it was the fastest bike on memorial weekend at the moses lake sand drags this year. I talking stock class not modified. It smoked a stroked raptor too.