When it rains it pours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like it turned out pretty well! hows the power on it?

I haven't had a chance to do hardly any tuning on it... I rode it around the yard (and more importantly down my driveway) last Tuesday and then put it up for the weekend.

Last week it was still rich (which is good with this low temperature fuel on a fresh engine) but I put the GBC dirt devils on it and just did a quick "launch" in my driveway. I don't have enough room to do a second gear launch and the material I'm riding on (gravel) isn't ideal but I was able to pepper my garage with rocks on the pipe before having to shut it down. The engine seems to put out phenomenal power even rich as hell.

The next step is a few things I need to change; spring the silencer to the pipe, fix the fuel cell (done), mount the fuel pump and figure out the bypass flow rate (half-done), work on the pipe to cylinder adapter (half-done), and work on the pipe to peg mounting (also half-done). Then I'm going to make a quick stop by the hobby shop and pick up some full 30% nitro fuel and see what it can do.

My wife has already mentioned something about October's sand drags at busco... she's such a good sport!

I can already tell from my little experience down there I'm going to have to get some tires. These ITP sand stars will be good for playing around and getting a handle on the tuning but the track was SO wet and sticky these are going to skip. Even brand new, these tires aren't cupped like the skat-trak's and the tires I have are far from new...

I worked on the pipe last night. I am happy to report I am COMPLETELY satisfied with the pipe coupler and silencer mounting now...

I bought two pieces of exhaust pipe at advance auto parts last night. One 1 3/4" ID to 1 3/4" OD and one 1 3/4" DO to 1 7/8" ID. I cut the "bell" off the flared one and slid it up onto the neck of the pipe and then cut a short piece of the straight one and welded it to the cylinder adapter flange. The result looked like I planned it that way. The thin wall pipe (the stuff I rolled to make the pipe out of) sits just outside of the cylinder adapter plate with the piece of straight exhaust pipe around it and then the "bell" part is welded to the pipe back a ways and sits just outside of the cylinder adapter pipe. It looks just like an aftermarket pipe cylinder adapter... pic of that tonight!

I also "sprung" the silencer. Before I was running the silencer just stuck down inside the adapter with nothing holding it on. I bought some 1/8" round rod from Ace hardware last night and bent it into several hooks and welded them onto the silencer, pipe adapter, stinger tube, and divergent section of the head pipe. Now each joint has two springs on it holding it together.

sounds like its coming right along..

Still working on it man. I didn't forget about it because of a little rain dude, just gonna have to wait until next year to run with the blasty boys again. I'm planning on making at LEAST a few of the busco sand drag events throughout the year (as many as I can afford/not sleep for) so I can be prepared. I can see now, seat time is crucial. Dually had a hellova time getting on that pro tree and my setup is way more "green" than his.

I'm just knocking stuff off the "tick list" now and paying down bills...darned credit cards letting me buy really nice blasty parts but then wanting to get paid back!

I'll get pics of the pipe stuff tonight.

MORE THOUGHTS!

Tire choices are numerous in the "sand drag" arena but I'm not sure what the best choice for a small quad might be. Most of the information out there is geared towards larger trucks and sand draggers, not quads.

I see the Skat-trak extreme's. They look like a good strong contender. They make them in a 20-10-8 and a 20-11-9.

Thinking maybe I should get some shee rear hubs and 9" rear wheels to get that extra 1" of width?

I worked on the pipe last night. I am happy to report I am COMPLETELY satisfied with the pipe coupler and silencer mounting now...

I bought two pieces of exhaust pipe at advance auto parts last night. One 1 3/4" ID to 1 3/4" OD and one 1 3/4" DO to 1 7/8" ID. I cut the "bell" off the flared one and slid it up onto the neck of the pipe and then cut a short piece of the straight one and welded it to the cylinder adapter flange. The result looked like I planned it that way. The thin wall pipe (the stuff I rolled to make the pipe out of) sits just outside of the cylinder adapter plate with the piece of straight exhaust pipe around it and then the "bell" part is welded to the pipe back a ways and sits just outside of the cylinder adapter pipe. It looks just like an aftermarket pipe cylinder adapter... pic of that tonight!

I also "sprung" the silencer. Before I was running the silencer just stuck down inside the adapter with nothing holding it on. I bought some 1/8" round rod from Ace hardware last night and bent it into several hooks and welded them onto the silencer, pipe adapter, stinger tube, and divergent section of the head pipe. Now each joint has two springs on it holding it together.

I'd like to see this brutha1 sounds like a great improvised plan!

I'd like to see this brutha1 sounds like a great improvised plan!

I'm definitely getting pictures of it tonight. It turned out looking like I nearly planned for it to be like that. ALMOST (for those sayers of nay who don't like stuff they didn't buy) like someone who knew what they were doing made it....

ummm....WINNING!

So who knows if honda 4 x 110 hubs (300ex/400ex rear hubs) will fit on the blaster axle splines?! If they do, that opens up a whole different batch of wheel possiblities which might open up more tire options.

So who knows if honda 4 x 110 hubs (300ex/400ex rear hubs) will fit on the blaster axle splines?! If they do, that opens up a whole different batch of wheel possiblities which might open up more tire options.

i have heard online that the 300ex rear wheel hubs fit. but i have not tried them personally. so i guess take that for what its worth.

i have heard online that the 300ex rear wheel hubs fit. but i have not tried them personally. so i guess take that for what its worth.

LOL. I've heard online that martians abducted so-and-so's grandpa... LOL

I think I either need to buy a set of 300ex hubs and try it for myself or find someone who is running a set on a compatible yamaha splined axle....

Some one on here is running 4X110 honda's. I"m pretty sure they fit. Let me see if i can find that thread.....

Sweet! I searched but I couldn't come up with anything absolute. I'll send Nate a message and get the details.

DSC00302-2.jpg

DSC00303-3.jpg

DSC00304-3.jpg

DSC00306-5.jpg

DSC00305-2.jpg

Hopefully minimal "goo" needed to keep the slooge at bay....and hopefully my silencer won't fall off halfway down the track! LMAO!

i htink the silencer will stay in its place just fine.. as long as the material around the (socket) pipe there where it sits in is thick and heavy enough to take the weight of the silencer bouncing around. looks great though.

i htink the silencer will stay in its place just fine.. as long as the material around the (socket) pipe there where it sits in is thick and heavy enough to take the weight of the silencer bouncing around. looks great though.

It's two layers inside there... the actual stinger goes down inside the pipe about 11" and that's welded to the pipe and then there's a piece of stainless tubing welded over top of it as a sleeve that's also welded to the pipe.

You're right, I need to do some "butterfly" supports! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.