Throttling and jet issue

Jason370

Oct 15, 2015
I have all stock blaster other than bored sixty over stock pilot and 250 main I have tried tuning every way possible adjusted needle up down if can get it to scream but it seems to be running lean already replaced all seals and gaskets just ordered new reeds one has slight opening temps running aroun 320/360

Have you done a leak down test. You may be sucking in unwanted air causing you to be lean. You can fool with the jetting and needle all you want, if you have an air leak you are just chasing your tail.

I have not but like I said replaced all seals and it doesn't leak oil any where or burn it

If your cases are cracked, it could be sucking in air there. That's why you should do a leak test.

Are you using mikuni jets and needle? People have had many problems with off brand jets and especially needles.

Yes it's all stock but bored and bigger main I have been reading forums and post on every thing that's y buying reeds last thing that's not new

The carb boots are also very prone to leaking, especially if tightened more than necessary (5.6 ftlbs I think) also a leak at the exhaust can cause a lean condition. It is necessary to leaktest anytime you have a problem, after any engine work is done, and twice a year as part of maintenance. It can save your engine!

If everything is stock why do you have a 250 main in it ?
Stock main is 230.
Have you plug chopped to confirm main jetting ?

Checked float height ?
Shhould be 20 - 21.5mm

320/360 is the temp it's running random chops but couldn't figure it out dealer told me up the main because bored 60 over. And how much for air leak tester

That dealer who told you to richen jetting for a bore is an idiot.
Only mods to the airflow into or out of the engine require rejetting.

I'll send you a message when I get home later w/ leakdown tester info

Reactions: OConnor Racing
You never have to go bigger on the main when you bore a cylinder. You may have to come down. The main jet you're running is too big but you may be compensating for an air leak. 320 – 360 is stupid hot for a stock blaster. You should be running around 230 – 265. I'm thinking air leak, wrong plug, bad ignition.

I am buying the stuff today for leak down test waiting for new reeds but if I run with my breather box lid of do I have to change anything cause it runs better without it

If it runs better with the lid off, you are probably rich. Normally you would increase the jet 2 sizes (250). A plug chop is the only way to confirm your jetting, but your engine must be leak free first. Temps, elevation, and premix or oil injection can affect which jet you need also.

Did leak test and oil side crank seal bad must have installed it wrong couple weeks ago but on bright side I have replaced every thing now so should have good running motor for awhile

Once I change the bad crank seal if I run with breather lid off ahold I still tune carb with the stock main(230) or the (250) and I will leave the pilot stock (32.5 or go up to (35) I will have all new gaskets seals and new reeds and did the rings two weeks ago hopefully still good after running warm couple times trying to tune with bad seal the little fork like thing that holds seal in was bent so it aloud my new seal to come out I replaced that also thanks to all will let u all no outcome when new seals get here wensday

32.5 stock pilot, that rarely needs changed due to the wide adjustment the airscrew gives that circut.
start with the 250 for the airbox lid off, but definately plug chop to confirm

I just got my new boysen reeds and they are different got a radius on the ends and the old ones are square so just the tit of the reed cage can be seen thru is this going to be a problem