thinking about buying a z400

mud runner

Jan 19, 2012
leabnon TN
the z400 needs a new topend and a new seat cover and rear tires and he is wanting 800 for it does it sound like a good deal

Don't do it , I owned a 2004 ltz400 with a 440 Athena big bore kit and it gave me SOO many problems , Stick with the 2 Stroke , allot less $ to Maintain !

What year is the LTZ? I've never owned one but they seem to be real good from what I read. I would like to get my hands on one. I would do some pricing on parts and expect the worst when it comes to the motor. You could end up spending around a $1000 on the top end. It could also need head and valve work to.

those 400s are hard to keep the timing right when you upgrade to bigger lope cams , Mine jumped timing as i was putting in the yard warming it up , I got rid of it fast after that

i called my mechanic and he said if he buys everything and puts a diffrent sleve and piston he said 700 or
800 to fix it but i looked up big bore kits for 300 to 400 and if we get it my dad said we might as well put a
440 kit in it or a 434 kit in it

is that parts and labor , because that sounds like too much work , look at how much you will have invested in it after it runs , Close to 2Grand when its all said and done , Doesn't sound worth it to me , but good luck with your choice !

Buy it and put a big-bore Blaster engine in there!! :D

If you decide to get it, like others have said, you are taking your chances. Part of the worry is that when a 4 stroke engine blows a top end, it usually goes boom. Things often get ugly in there when you tear it down for inspection, unlike on a Blaster when the worst damage is often limited to the piston/rings and cylinder.

The 4 stroke engines in these Suzuki's use shim-and-bucket valve adjusters, if Im not mistaken. In other words, the valves tighten up over time due to seat wear, and if they don't get adjusted often enough, the valve will extend too far into the cylinder, only to be hit in the head by the piston. And then you've got an engine with the dreaded ($$$ to fix) "dropped valve". Im not a 4-stroke guy, but it seems Suzuki engines like to drop more valves than other brands.

My neighbor across the street had a big-bore Suzuki dirtbike, and I used to listen to him ride. I could tell that the engine was running poorly. I warned him to get his valves adjusted. He ignored my advice, dropped a valve a month later, and sold the bike.

Moral: Buyer beware. A cracked head and/or broken valves get expensive to fix real quick. And that doesnt include necessary parts such as the cam chain, piston, gasket set, etc. You never know what you are buying until you tear it down for inspection. The best "blown" 4 stroke to buy is one that still runs, but smokes badly. Much of the time, smoking can be cured without touching the head.

they are very toutchy..they come with an automatic cam chain tentioner..so there is a spring that always puts pressure on it and eventually stretches the chain to far..then you need a manual chain tentioner which is like 50 bucks..

ok im defiantly not gonna buy that bike the guy lied to me about it when i went and bought my 450r shock i told him i was thinking about buying it and he said i dont want to buy it because it needs a whole new head and it has had the sh*t run out of it