sportbike question

Racer51

May 19, 2011
Northwest Ohio
hi guys I know long time no see that goes without saying anyhow Im looking to buy my first sportbike ideally in the next month thanks to my new job. im looking into a 1995 Kawasaki ZX750R with no problems for 1500 obo. The owner gave it a fresh tune up, new battery, carbs cleaned, radiator flush through and the tires only have 1700 or so miles on both. should I look into it
I can of corse post a link if you guys need more info thanks guys

I have 1994 ZX750R. I would want over $3200 if I were to sell it.
A bit heavier than newer sport bikes but plenty fast. 120hp I believe. Over 100kph in 1st gear.
Will power up into a wheelie at 100kph or spin the back tire and pop up as you power over the painted lines on the highway.
I like the slipper clutch in those years. Downshift as you enter a corner and no rear wheel drag.

Mine has a problem with rust in the tank plugging the screens in the carbs. Hard to get to.

Bike is otherwise reliable and great on fuel. The 750 has more torque and less need of gear changes than newer 600s.

Steve

299_31647270802_6295_n.jpg

One thing I learned wether it be a car truck bike or wheeler, P.O's say whatever to sell a machine, never trust em, do your research and know what you are looking at, carb clean and tune up are only part of it for an older bike, there is much maintenance to go along with it, valves adjusted? check the compression if he will let you.
Carb rebuild can mean anything, 15 year old rubber dries up. O'rings and bits in the carbs, carb rebuild kits do not cover everything in them.And are basically a waste of money,
Cleaning carbs and dipping them and blowing out with air after 24 hrs in th sauce are 2 different things.
It's always buyer beware.
Plug chops on a roadbike 4 stroke are as important as a blaster.
Not trying to deter, just educate coming from an old man who has brought new life into badly neglected bikes over the years.
After all it is almost 20 years old.
As for rust in tack, clean it proper and apply P.O.R. tank liner, problem solved.Nothing beats POR
as for the bike ,find a Kaw forum, they are out there and google known issues for the bike so you know what to look for,research research.

I own a frankenstein 92 Zx7r, 95 zx7 engine, 04zx10 rear end 06zx10 front end. They are awesome bikes. Ive got a full spare parts bike if you need anything.

thanks guys well he sold it 2 days before I was going to entertain looking at it. Does anyone have any other bikes worth looking into? Here are my parameters a supped up 250 a 500-600cc sportbike preferably 98 and up and within $1700-2300 if its a 600cc. I've been browsing Suzuki GS500E's or F's ninja 250's and 600's and or ZX600R's and rarely a buell blast.
Ideally id like to be pointed in the right direction (ideas wise) of a relatively stock 600 my price range for a 600 would likely be around 2300obo and lower. Ive also been looking into older FZR's funny enough since I saw that 750r. and wifes blaster 1,700 on both of the tires im guessing around 20k on odometer
thanks a ton guys

Suzuki gs500 is just as slow as a 250, my moms bf bought one for her. Dont get a "supped up" 250, doesn't matter whats done to it, there still slow as sh*t. You will not be happy.

ok thanks for the info Chriz what would be the best bet for my money $2000 over a tiny bit or under. I hear good things about Kawasaki's and Yamaha's. I'd like the bike to be quick but not stupid quick, but gets me off the stop light with a bit of authority. Preferably not a cruzer or a street fighter. I kind of like the YZR6's and zx6's if I find a legit YZR6 like 2005+ and over around 2000 or so would that be a good deal? I would think so right thanks

If yo find a 05+ r6 for 2K I'll buy it if you don't. I have the anniversary r6 (06) and love it. I don't know what the price is like in Ohio, but an 05 R6 would be around 4-5k in Maryland.

2001 YAMAHA YZF R6 **O.B.O.**
2002 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600

I found these 2 if I had pick one id probably choose the Suzuki I know the Yamaha is pretty good but do you guys know of any issues off the tops of your heads about problems with either model?

Also I thought I should say it'll say that I'm gonna to have to wait at least a few months to save up. cause of my great new job at ODOT (thing is normally you'd get paid every 2 weeks stupid thing is you gotta wait a month for the first 2week paycheck UGH) just letting you guys know it will be a while before you see my big goofy grin :D so thanks

I have 1994 ZX750R. I would want over $3200 if I were to sell it.
A bit heavier than newer sport bikes but plenty fast. 120hp I believe. Over 100kph in 1st gear.
Will power up into a wheelie at 100kph or spin the back tire and pop up as you power over the painted lines on the highway.
I like the slipper clutch in those years. Downshift as you enter a corner and no rear wheel drag.

Mine has a problem with rust in the tank plugging the screens in the carbs. Hard to get to.

Bike is otherwise reliable and great on fuel. The 750 has more torque and less need of gear changes than newer 600s.

Steve

299_31647270802_6295_n.jpg

cool good to know steve
here's the 750 im looking at. look her over and let me know what you make out heads or tails and yes I see no belly plastics. but for 1200- 1300 is it a live-able first bike if I take it easy on it?
95 Kawasaki Ninja ZX750