school me on tires

doodleaddict

May 30, 2012
ok folks school me on tires what sizes work good on blasters trails mx blah blah I know it depends on the blaster and all but I got 22 somethings on my blaster and I feel Like they are massive

i run 20-7-10 in the front, 18-10-8 in the rear. its quick n nimble on the track. if you do end up going with like an 18 in the rear, make sure you gear for it. like 14/40. a 13/40 set up would work fine but it tends to leave 1st almost non existent.

yea right now it seems like first lasts about 20 feet I know ingot 42 rear idk front though

with those 22's its no wonder! lol. if you were to go to like a 20 or 18 inch tire, youll see a definite 'snappier' throttle response. heres a gearing calculator to help with deciding what raio works best. stock size is 13/40 with 21" tires
Sprocket-Ration-Chart.jpg

My personal favorite is 20-11-8's on the rear and 21-7-10 or 20-7-10's on the front. I've heard there's some sort of reason why you should have larger tires on the front (but could get a straight, reasonable answer out of the folks who say that!) and I run 20" tires all the way around. I trail ride so I try to stay away from 18" tall tires. They work well if you stay on a groomed track or non rutted trail but that extra inch of ground clearance comes in handy for me when the going get tough.

22" tires are especially large, larger than stock even (21" "balloony" ohtsu's) so you would need either a 13 front sprocket or 42 rear sprocket just to compensate for the gearing... If you dropped to a 20" rear tire and went back to stock gearing you'd probably be in good shape then.

those are the wheel sizes bro...

and i am never running anything except 18" tires on the back. never have a problem getin hung up and i like the way they ride compared to 20s. 22s are just wayyy to big.

Have you ever rode right along with someone who has 20's on their ride?

Twostroker99 and I ride together and I have the 20" kenda's and he has 18" Maxxis RAZR's. It's not often but there are places in the woods where he'll get hung up and I'll be able to power through.

those are the wheel sizes bro...

and i am never running anything except 18" tires on the back. never have a problem getin hung up and i like the way they ride compared to 20s. 22s are just wayyy to big.

yeah man don't know why i wrote that lol iv got 21s and and 19s. can't mind exact size but going to be getting other tires . which is best for sliding? maxxiz? or holeshots? also what size?

Have you ever rode right along with someone who has 20's on their ride?

Twostroker99 and I ride together and I have the 20" kenda's and he has 18" Maxxis RAZR's. It's not often but there are places in the woods where he'll get hung up and I'll be able to power through.

i have. and i have ridden some trails that are rutted pretty bad from trucks and 4x4 quads. i can usually find a way around anything that will bump me. i also used to have 20" holeshots on my 250. they were absolute dog sh*t and made the ride so much less intense. felt really tippy and wouldnt slide at all, even if i leaned as hard as i could so i was pretty much sitting on the foot peg, it would grab and tip before it would let loose and slide a bit for me.

I'm running 18s with stocks gears an 1st gear is pretty much gone.. I have 13/38 sprockets somewhere in the garage gonna give them a try sometime soon.

as far as gaering goes on a trail quad..stock gearing is fine, in regards to spockets, now as far as tires go, the rotational mass of a larger tires requies far more work from your engine than a smaller tire does, smaller tire = less rotation = less weight = faster wheel spin. 22" tires are larger, and spin slower, and weigh more in most cases. its a matter of preference. Bummer981, a member here, had 22's on his blasty, I put 18" turf tamers on it for him, and he loves it. The only down side is you can't ride in muddy ruts. BUT, its a blaster, not a mudder..lol with a smaller rear tire, you will lose top speed, but gain torque due to faster rotation. You can gain almost the same response from changing your rear sprocket also. My 400ex has 18" tires with stock sprockets, this means faster wheel spin but less top speed. Now if I was to change my front sprocket from a 14 to a 15, it would be the same as going from a 40 in the rear to a 37, meaning I would be gaining nothing , losing a little torque, and gaining 1-2 mph in top end. but if I left the front sprocket stock, and say changed the rear sprocket, after having the 18" tires on, from a 40 to say a 38, the counter shaft will still be rotation up front as it should, with no more added tension on the engine, and the rear would have less weight, with a slightly smaller spocket, making me stay close to the same power range as stock rims and tires. It really is just preference. The best tire, IMO, is a 19" rear for a 2 stroke quad of any flavor. but they are expensive.

i'm running 18 10 8s on the back a both blasters with 14 40 gearing and 21 inch tires on the front looking to drop to 18's because i think the 21s are to big

Im running 19x11.14/38 gearing for all around trail and sport riding.
Sliding really does not matter what brand tire its the design of the tire.My mx holeshots brake free and slide pretty good.Cant say about the maxxis as I have never run them.